Abandoned Mentally Unsound Asian Lady residing at Parc Sophia

I would like to use this forum to try and locate any family members of an elderly Asian lady who is a tenant at the new apartment complex Parc Sophia (Dhoby Ghaut) and suffers from a severe medical condition, I am not sure if it is Tourette's Syndrome (TS), Schizotypal personality or some other multiple personality disorder.

She suffers severely from fits all throughout the day and night without any appropriate care. I had moved into my apartment Jan 19th 2013, after arriving in Singapore end of Nov 2012. It was not told to me prior to moving in, however the dishonesty of landlords and their agents is not the topic of this post today.

It is incredible concerning that she, the mentally unsound tenant, has resided at Parc Sophia for almost a year, according to building management at Parc Sophia and has no family or close friend carers, who are able to provide to her the care she needs.

It is disrespectful and disgraceful to see how she has been abandoned and is not only suffering alone, but also is constantly receiving abuse back, only because I believe people are at their wits end dealing with her fits several times throughout the day, which would last for hours at a time.

This would happen during the night, or in the early hours of the morning, in the afternoons all throughout the week. The ill elderly lady would then slam her balcony door open and shut to yell abuse, which sadly does includes foul language that I cannot mention here. I have then also witnessed other tenants walking to her balcony to close the door for her so that she isn't frightening other residents and their young children who also live there.

I cannot emphasis how depressing this is to witness.

I find it unbelievable that this elderly lady who has a severe medical condition has no close friends or family who are able to see that she gets the respect and care she deserves.

It really breaks my heart, but I am powerless to do anything and even feel guilty that sometimes for getting irritated when I am unable to sleep at night or swim in the pool, or even have visitors, when she is going through these fits of screaming and swearing. I can even hear her from the street when I walk my dog.

I speak with other tenants who are just as concerned but equally frustrated, the building management themselves have book full of complaints, however even police are powerless to help her.

Out of desperation I have knocked at her door and tried to reach out to her, however due to her severe medical condition she sadly appears to be violent and a danger to herself and others, so I am reluctant to place myself in any sort of confrontational situation.

At the end of the day, this elderly Asian lady has not received the care she clearly needs and I fear that there is a potential threat to herself and to others.

I would also like to know if anyone else has experienced anything sort of similar here in Singapore?

I hope that after posting in this forum it reaches a family member or close friend of this lady, who is able to then help her and see to it that she does not live in such a way.

Thank you.

In Singapore it is normally up to the (extended) family to take care of an old or sick relative. There are very few public services for this. If you don't have relatives, you are basically out on your own.
Now this lady, being able to rent a place in an expensive Condo, must surely have money. You also didn't mention dirty or unkempt appearance, so I assume she is able to arrange her daily necessities. If that is the case, living on her own is probably the best she can hope for, even if you as neighbour don't like it. The alternative, "Treatment" of mentally incapacitated (e.g. at Woodbridge mental hospital) is largely locking them away and sedating with medication. In any case, as the police rightly concluded, as long as she isn't declared legally incapacitated and has a custodian (who then decides on her behalf), there's nothing anyone else can do.
As you probably have noticed, rules about noise pollution and unusual behaviour are very lax in Singapore. Unless she does actual harm to others, it is acceptable.

Thank you Beppi for taking the time to write a response for me.
I appreciate your comments.

Harm to herself or others... Mmmm... That's exactly what I am afraid of. We never know when or if a person is dangerous until it really is too late.

That's also what I find fustrating. That we have to wait until there is proof that someone is a danger to others or herself, and that someone has to suffer before she gets help.

I just wish there was a nurse or someone to at least check on her and see that she gets the medication she needs to help her with this condition.

@ missconcerned
Its really thoughtful of you to see how you've taken the time to post such a topic for help here. I really hope others on this forum will be able to respond to you and provide information that will help the Asian lady you're referring to.

Just reading your post, its very sad to think what this elderly Asian lady goes through everyday. Youve been living there for the past four months and noticed this issue. Who knows prior to you moving in, how long she suffered like this without proper care.

I can relate to Beppi's comments too as i was in Singapore last year and after visiting a few places in the day, I wanted to eat. So i walked into this busy eatery, ordered something and started to eat. Then a few minutes later, an elderly lady walked in carrying with her, a few bags that she takes with her everywhere. She ordered some food, i think it was the cheapest food on the menu. As she started to eat, she didn't like it most probably because it was plain (rice and few vegetables). So she asked the people at the counter for a meat piece as i saw her pointing at it. They ignored her at first and then told her it will cost you so much. Although, i didn't understand what she said, i felt she was asking them nicely for 1 small piece of meat. She then sat down trying to eat what she originally ordered, but you could tell she wasn't enjoying her meal. She kept on asking every few minutes for the small meat pieces on the counter but now they just ignored her.

After i saw this, i said to my self i'm nearly done, when i put my tray on the shelf, i'll order the small pieces of meat she wants so that she can eat a decent meal. 

Just as i get up, a guy opposite me gets up and is about to leave. But before he walks out, he orders the small meat pieces, pays for it, points to the elderly lady and leaves. It seems this guy noticed the same thing i did. I felt a sense of relief and grateful to that guy who helped this poor elderly lady have a decent meal.

Its been mentioned a few times on the web and even on this site how the elderly in Asia have no access to medical care and have to basically fend for themself. They have to work till they drop as there is no state help or they don't have a pension to look after themself. :(

Although i've never travelled much in Asia, i can see how so different it is from the place where i was bought up in the UK. I was surprised to see what i witnessed in the eatery and now when i read such a topic like this here, i can only hope others out there will respond to this topic to help out this elderly Asian lady who needs care & help.

Jaz

I live at Parc Sophia and have been putting up with the day and night ranting for almost one year now - the language is difficult to make out but I do recall the same lady shouting "Nazi" to me on more than one occasion.  It seems nobody can do anything about it.  I even went as far as filing a police report only to find many had been filed beforehand and in fact the police lady at orchard police station advised their was an unusual amount of recorded incidents on their system related to shouting and disturbances at Parc Sophia.  Earlier in the year, the police were regularly called out to the building but that has now stopped as security were told by the building management they are no longer allowed to disturb the police over this matter.  I remember previously, a good Indian security guard on nights who seemed to best manage the situation but was removed from his post as the same lady complained about him knocking on the door when she was shouting.  The more recent night man is completely afraid and wont approach this lady.  Shouting hours are usually between 5.30am and 10.30pm and in between I understand the lady gets a few hours sleep.  Indeed she does seem very lonely and disturbed and I cant imagine why nobody is reaching out to help her.  I would imagine a condo facing a field would have been more appropriate than a condo facing a small courtyard swimming pool and another fifty or so residences.  Everyday I see more and more tenants moving out over this matter.  For anybody currently enjoying the parc Sophia living experience, I guess you were not very happy to receive the recent notice that the school on the cliff overhanging the building is being demolished to make way for a five hundred unit apartment building.

Hey everyone,

Just moved to Parc Sophia. At first I did not know about this matter as just 2 days after I rented the place my wife and I had to leave Singapore for a month due to work.

I just came back 2 weeks ago and now I started to get annoyed and wonder whether anyone has been experiencing the same problem.

I notice that in this last few days the lady screamed very loud until around 12 pm. Is there a way that we ask the management to install a double window on her terrace so that if she screamed at least it wont disturb as much?

Hi All, I have been a resident in Parc Sophia since time immemorial. The lady ain't some old chinese lady. Perhaps in her 40s. or early 50s. And I believe she was an owner of that unit. As I did talk to her when we first shifted in. She was normal, definitely well-educated and could hold up a proper conversation. She had since shifted out months ago. And she coordinated the movers herself. I feel that staying alone was her personal choice and she was not abandoned. She even subscribed the daily newspaper.

Initially her shouting fits were infrequent, perhaps once a month or less. However if you have noticed, since the guy staying next door shifted in and started engaging her in some shouting competition, asking each other to shut up, the duration and frequency got out of control. And this guy did smash stuff when quarreling violently with his female companion once. I aint sure if that guy has shifted out too as there is not more shouting nowadays. And he too needs medical attention in my own opinion.

And that security guard left not because of complaints. Hearing from the horse's mouth, he was going home to get married.

Digressing a bit --I am pretty curious, since her balcony is connected to the pool, how did you guys close her balcony door? You guys swam up her unit to reach for the doors?

And yes, I do feel she needs help and more love. All the snarl remarks and shouting-back and aggression only served to aggravate her condition. However the demographic here is mostly expats and professionals who work mostly long hours. It's pretty hard to foster relationship or to reach out to her. I do wish her new place will be more forgiving and she receives proper medical attention.

If this occurred in public housing estate (HDB) another recourse is the local Member of Parliament. You could try that.
You need critical mass, of persons concerned and then signatures on paper. Then you can approach the Body Corporate and possibly the local MP as means of accessing support.
It seems this situation needs some professional interventions including medical and possibly psychiatric assessments. Calling for these takes courage, conviction resources and support. Possibly the Salvation Army may assist, as well as the police, despite security officers relationships with them.
Or you could move out citing this as the reason.
Charting these passages is not for the feint hearted.

has this problem been resolved?
what happened to the person in the end?