Traveling to belize with dog

I am going to be moving to belize in the next few months. I already have property, I was thinking about flying into cancun & taking the ado bus into belize.due to saving some money. with my dog .  or do I have to fly into belize to get him in the country ? is it too much of a hassle to go the mexico route ?  thanks for any info !

Last I heard, you can't take your dog on Ado. You could hire a transfer company to take you to Belize. Or, you could rent a vehicle and pay a drop off charge in Chetumal, then get a transfer to wherever you are going in Belize.
Going the Mexico route means you'd have to get two import permits and two original health certificates.
I think it would be less stress on you and the dog, and probably not much more expensive to just fly to Belize.
You can apply for an import permit online at https://baha.bz. Ms Melody Robateau at the animal health department is really helpful.
If you plan on going back and forth within the year, you can apply for a pet passport which would allow multiple entries into Belize without having to apply for a permit each time. The cost is BZ 100.00. You would still need a current health certificate.

thank you ! you are right .I didn't even think about permit for him in mexico !   :)

You're welcome, mobra. Good luck! Where in Belize is your property?

Brigitte, it is in san Ignacio just a small lot. which here is another question. I have a very small camper. that I am debating shipping over. is it worth it ? I am hearing horror stories about the expence of the duty tax . it is 12'3" long 7'1" high 6'7" wide. I have looked for campers for sale & have come to think that it's hard to find one ! haha! otherwise I will be tenting it until I have a tiny house built.  thank you ! maureen

Maureen, http://www.customs.gov.bz/rate_motor_vehicles.html
I'd call some of the freight companies to check on shipping rates.
You should be able to rent a place pretty reasonably in San Ignacio or Santa Elena. Do you have water and current on your property?
I've seen the occasional motorhome/camper advertised on various classified sites. People do drive down their motorhomes and then sell when their homes are ready to move in.
Have you thought about driving down?
Of course that would mean back to two permits for the pooch :-)
I would start with pricing all my options, and consider the pros and cons, like time, risk, road/plane travel with dog.
So exciting and such an adventure!

thanks Brigitte ! I emailed the customs people for an estimate .didn't think of doing before. my camper doesn't have a motor it's a pull behind. I saw some of the Mennonite sheds that looked good enough to stay in at first . it's just me & my little dog . thinking a shed & getting a screen room type thing. where do you live ? yes it is exciting to be doing this , but also a little daunting ! haha! I really appreciate any suggestions that you may have do to your experience. have a great day ! maureen :)

Maureen, we are in Cayo as well, part time. I've sent you a private message.

Hi those Mennonite "Sheds" are actually very well made wooden houses. If you go to their websites you will see some very nice buildings.

hi terrific ! yes they are really nice ! when I get to belize I definitely will be going to check them out !

No Maureen, my name is Malcolm. How do u like ur stay in Belize? R u still there? How did the shed thing work out. I would b doing the same, myself and my Ch. Lab.
Tks Malcolm