Where are the British people on here!!!!!!!

hello in search of my fellow Brits on here.....just wondering how you are all finding living in qatar compared to life back in the UK. I will be moving there in August to teach in a local school in Doha.

Hi,
Life is really good here. Good weather, good variety of places to eat out, some good shopping, and other stuff to do, but you have to go out and find it.
It's a bit more expensive than the UK, a bit like living in London price wise, but something are a bit cheaper and wages are tax free, so overall you have  a better lifestyle. Its quite relaxed, but you may need to align a bit with the local laws - however they are pretty lax at the moment.
Driving is a challenge as there are no rules on the road - well none that are observed, but cars are cheapish..
Housing is expensive, but a lot of people share.
What else do you need to know.
You will enjoy it here.
Geoff

Thanks Geoff

ive heard about the dangerous drivers in Doha....oh dear as i am actually thinking of buying a car maybe once i settle there. however reconsidering now.

No problem..  The driving is a bit mad, but its not that bad. You just have to be extra vigilant and try and anticipate what the cars around you might do.  Just remember, if a local hits you its still probably your fault. I would still get a car and take a defensive driving course. They also take you out into the desert and tell you some do's and don'ts of desert driving. There are plenty of cars to choose from and petrol is about 20p /litre.

I am also moving to teach there next month.  How much should one look to spend on essentials, good etc... ?

I am living on my own and a weekly food shop at the local supermarket (Lulu/Carrefour) usually costs me around QR180-250  - £25-40 (same as what it would in the UK)

You can probably do it cheaper but depends whether you like the branded stuff. I think the prices are similar to TESCO & SAINSBURY'S for all the essentials.

Sometimes its cheaper to eat out! In Al-Khor you can get a a full meal for about £1.80-2.50 (not very healthy tho)

If quality isn't an issue, then you can find electronics for very cheap.

I'm 23 and have been living alone in Qatar for the last year so If you want any friendly advise, feel free to send me an email - [email protected]

Sam

I would concur with Samuel on living expenses. Alcohol is expensive, but eating out can range from quite cheap to fairly expensive. A good brunch on a Friday will cost you around £60-£75, but is good value for what you get and that includes alcohol - as much as you can consume.

Your in good hands niiyo.

From time your somalian theres a very small community where we go out and meet up sometimes to smoke shisha.
there is another girl who is from London too and she does teaching and knows how to make a bit of extra money on the side by doing private tutoring.
email me when you will be coming and where you will be working.
[email protected]
Cheers