New to Mexico City! From north east of England!

Hi,

I'm moving to Mexico City next week as I have a job at a British international school teaching art! I know no-one in the city and have little knowledge of the city itself - I have never been to Mexico full stop!!

Any advice, conversation or information would be greatly appreciated :)!!!

Hi Laura7787,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have moved your topic on the Mexico forum for more visibility and interaction ;)

Hi Laura,

I'm from Mexico, I don't know where is the British International school, but I can show you the city if you want to do some tourism around. I'll be glad to. Enjoy Mexico and if you have some question, don't hesitate to ask me :)

Congratulations on the job! If you are an artist and love art, you will really enjoy the city and integrate quickly. Carola has made a nice offer. Invest in a good guide book to get started - maps, orientation, sights to see like the great museums. Do the tourist thing first and you will soon find your way around. It is a huge city but the transportation is well organized and easy to use. Do you have to find housing? It is expensive (maybe a roommate situation?) but if you can, being near your work can spare some crowded rush hour commutes. There are women only cars on the metro, a good idea for young women during intense periods. Mexicans in general are very open and kind and friendly; asking for info is pleasant, if you speak some Spanish. I am sure you know not to drink tap or ice water or eat street food that is not hot off the grill. ("Hot off" can mean the nourishing gorditas - tortillas stuffed with frijoles. Blue corn is the best and healthiest!) For your art interests you can go to the many art galleries and museums; Carola will help you with the cool night spots. For the rest, we need to know more. Good luck!

Hey Laura I am a British teacher of EFL thinking about coming to teach in Mexico.Can you give me any info? I am really looking to teach adults and have not been able to find much info about this.I have just completed 3 years in China teaching University students and Ideally would want to do the same in Central America. Good luck with the job.
Ruth

Hi Laura!  :cheers:

Just wondered where you are from in the UK? I live near York!

Anyway I hope you are doing okay in Mexico City, I have visited a few times, it's great, so much to see and do but so vast also!

I am in Cuernavaca at the moment which is fairly close.

All the best! Katy

Welcome to Mexico!

I do not live in Mexico city so, I don't think I'd be able to help much but if you ever come to Veracruz then I would be glad to help you.