Relocation to Johannesburg for a year

:/ My husband is a IT professional and has been offered one yr project assignment at Johannesburg. We have the following queries regarding the relocation of entire family ( Me, Husband & two daughters) to Johannesberg

1. Type of schools available ( pvt/ International schools) & their fees structure per month.i.e. expense on education for 2 children per month. Which school is better: pvt or International.
2. What are the tax slabs usually applicable for a income range of 20-30 thousand zar per month.
3. Is it worth to relocate the family for one year. Can  there be any savings in such a case. How much minimum disposable income ( in hand) is required for a decent living.
4. What will be the per month expenditure on sight seeing locally or nearby/ close destinations.

I would be thankful if anybody can respond at the earliest as we have to take decision soon.

Hello Jamun and welcome on board :)

While waiting for other members to inform you, I suggest you browse through the Johannesburg forum and gather some information through the multiple threads we have there.

Good luck in your venture  :top:

Regards

Kenjee

I too have the same questions as you have and exploring the same option!

Hi,

Greetings from India!

I will be shorlty moving to Johannesburg with family, prbabaly in the month of August if the work permit comes throug by then.

Few quick questions if anyone can answer:

1. My company has alloted me a house in Ranparkridge area and the office is in Southdale, Booysens, the distance as menteiond by my colleagues is around 30 KM, approximately how much time should be budgeted for travel to and from work if I start early say around 6 - 6:30 am in the morning.

2. Is the area (Randpark Ridge) safe?

3. I understand that the schools in RSA (Public & Private) ask the pupils to study AFRIKAANS as a language in their cirruculum? what tis the law around this topic for new joinees say in grades 5 & 8, my chilidren are pursuing these grades in India currently.

Any feedback on the above is welcome.

Nice to be on this blog especially for expats.

Best regards,
Ram

Dear Mr. Ramachandra,

I think we both have the same concerns about relocation to S. Africa.

Please keep in touch so that we can share each other's feedback.

Hello Jamun,

Thanks for your message, I will be in touch with you in case I get any responses.

Best regards,
Ram

I am not getting any response on my posts.

Please help me in taking a decision because as I mentioned in my earlier posts, it will be a major shift for me and my children.

Not getting any response for my posts, please anyone help!!!

Hi - Randpark Ridge should be fine, try to stick to boomed off areas and security estates.
International schools are very expensive - in range of 100 k zar per year and more.
Good private school will cost you around 60-70 k zar per year per child (second child gets approx 10% dscount).
Most private schools have English as main language, then they chose another language. As far as I know it does not have to be afrikaans (my son is still small, he doesn't go to "big" school yet, so I'm not sure.
But at young age any language is helpful - it helps to develop childs brain.
Afrikaans is similar to Dutch and is a germanic language, so it will build a good base for learning German in the future.
I wouldn't worry about this.