Wanting to move to Sweden from London- With a disability/long term ill

Hi everyone, not sure if I have posted in the right place :o

But I wanted to try to find out how I would go about trying to move to Sweden whilst having a long term illness (M.E).

I am in a long term relationship with a Swedish woman, and we have talked about moving to Sweden together, but I am worried and very unsure if it is possible to get support and assistance financially. Also here in the UK I am currently getting financial help to eat/live and help with rent (LHA)- due to my illness and not being able to work.

Whilst I hate getting help from anyone and try to be independent, it is almost impossible to be with a debilitating illness.

The main reason to move there is I have no family or anyone in the UK, i'm also having a lot of difficult to rent anywhere safe due to the rent prices in London, mainly stayed in bedsits the past few years and had to move many times due to drug addict/violent neighbours on different occasions. So moving to somewhere more quiet and stable is a must.

Again, I do not know anything about all this, so I thought to ask here to see if anyone may know if I would be able to get financial help and help otherwise in order to live/move there.

I am not a scrounger or beggar, I used to work for an aerospace company until I became ill. But I think a change like this would certainly help to change my whole life.

Thank you in advance if anyone can reply!

John

John, sorry to hear you got unwell. Moving to Sweden is a tricky one. It requires a lot of form filling. This means you will need a lot of help from your girlfriend given the language issue. To move to Sweden and receive financial assistance would prove very difficult as any assistance is linked directly to your working life in Sweden and swedish medical assessment.  That is, union insurance payments, doctor certificates, etc. To be able to qualify for residence here you are required to prove you or someone can support you, regardless of eu membership. If you move over it will be a big responsibility for your girlfriend. Given you have ME the move itself may even prove difficult.
Given you worked in aerospace industry it may be worth your while contacting swedish companies when/ if you feel well enough and getting the move supported by them. After you have worked six months in Sweden and have a relapse or something similar then you are in the system and will be helped accordingly.

Best of luck
Kevin

Hey,

Unfortunately assistance is only available to Swedish Citizens. If you move here for a relationship, it is on the grounds that your partner will support you, thereby leaving you ineligible for assistance.

Thanks for the replies :)

I guessed from what my partner and I have been discussing that it is sadly not the easiest idea to do. :(

Guess I'll be seeing what happens in the next few months.

Thanks again!