Advice on buying a Car

Hello
I would like some advice on buying a car in Doha.  Is it cheaper to import a car. I have a Subaru Imprezza which has only 11000 miles on it. I  can import it i into Dhoha by paying 2000 US dollars in transportation cost.  I  see that it might cost 20,000 US dollars to buy a new car ( Subaru Imprezza) in Doha. I also see that a used car with 100,000 miles costs 10000 US dollars.  Since my car is over 3 years old and is for personal use, I believe I do not have to pay any import tax. So, is it advisable to do this or is it better to buy locally ? 

Is it necessary to have a car in Doha ?  I will be living in office quarters and they have a bus to go to work. So, I am wondering about the utility/necessity of a car ?

Hello saras55,

Kindly note that a new thread has been created as from your post on the Doha Forum so as to help you get better interactions.

Regards

Kenjee

Thanks. Hope someone replies.

Saras

While it might seem to be a good idea , you need to contact the local dealer for the same vehicle specially that I came to know the fact that certain vehicles are made with different standards to cope with GCC climate ( Bigger radiator, motor fans , engine mounts etc)

Thanks . I will check up on this after I come over.

Saras

So where are you coming from if you don't mind me asking !

USA. I lived in Columubs OH, USA, where the climate is directly opposite. So, I bought a four wheel drive so that the car will not overturn on ice and snow !

saras

My advice is, let go of transporting your car here - too many parameters that can go wrong:

- Different package for different weathers
- May not be services at the local dealer
- It will take about 2 months in route
- The paper work involved
- You may have an issue selling it here in the future, transporting an older car back to USA may not be a good option a few years from now.

Back in 2008 we had the same dilemma, we had a 3-year old MDX that we loved.  After considering all options, I decided to sell it and buy something here.

As far as the second part of your question:

For the most part, you will need a car in Doha.   It depends on your situation though since you say the company provides transportation and all.
If I were you,  I would use casual drivers  (private drivers) for the first 2-3 months to get things going or rent a car till you have a better assessment on things.   Ramadan usually is the best time to buy a new car as most dealers have deals and incentives.   Summer is best for a user car since there are always more sellers than buyers.

Hope this helps.

It Certainly does. Thanks

Saras

Hi Saras ,

So what have you decided !