Is my Salary enough to Live in Addis Ababa?

Hi.. my name is Judy... I am considering a job offer to teach English in a school in Addis and wanted to know more about t her country of Ethiopia and the city of Addis Ababa, specifically in the Bole District.

The wage will be equivalent to 300 US dollars and housing and utilities will be taken care of by the school.   Is this enough money to live comfortably?

Hello Judy moore and welcome on board :)

Kindly note that a new thread has been created as from your post in the Addis Ababa Forum to help you gain better visibility and response.

Regards

Kenjee

hello

it is for sure the question of your live style, but if you want to enjoy as well a bit, go out in Addis for the evening etc, it is not enough and if you want to see a bit of the Country and travel now way.

I live in Adama which is cheaper for sure but I calculate 1000 Euro a month for me and my wife, excluding rent and Transport (car plus diesel). With this we cover all Food, 2 x a week going out for a drink, lets say 2 x a month out for a Restaurant, our Service Girl, telephone, electric bills and others.

Just a evening with 2 People in AA, easely 500 Birr !

Oliver

Hi Judy, i hope you can live by  $300 in Addis u know 300 USD is more than average salary in Addis.

yes I agree that it is more than most People earn, but I gues than we have to explain how do this People live. Beside this we have to see how Ethiopian famelis often function on their economic way creating a socila back up. This will not be in place for a Non Ethiopian, comming into the Country.

Beside this Judy do you know if this Money is cross salary, do you have to pay ET income tax from this, which would be around 35%, you should be sure on this and ask your NGO.

Their are many different indicators which are used by financial People to judge the economic Status of a Country, most known and even mostly used in Ethiopia is currently the grows rate, eveybodya is looking at this, often even very prowed. which is fine. But a big BUT, their is much more and I myslef have my own indicator, excuse me for beeing very German now, that is the DRAFT indicator. Taking the cost for a draft tells me much more! Or lets look at some items which are more used in Ethiopia, we could call it the Chicken (Doro) indicator, or the ediable oil (sait) indicater..........

Judy will have 5800 Birr, .....

1 L of ediable oil (simple) = 100
1 chicken (Supermarket) = 120
1 draft = 10 to 12- normal place, but can go up to 28 and more

The UN has reported for Ethiopia in 2011 a Food Inflation of 32% and a non Food Inflation of 25%

Myself is only going to AA for the day avoiding to stay over night where I have to pay min 400 Birr for a Hotel and many things I have to pay more than locals, we know that a taxi for a non ethiopian, Judy has to pay more than double the Price a local would pay. For her it will be difficult to get a taxi below 200 Birr (in the day time, night time they ask non ethiopians easely 400 Birr).

I belive you can live with 300 USD, but you will not enjoy a lot

Oliver

Hi Judy.

Have you costed in medical insurance cover ?? Having worked in Ethiopia I think you will not be able to get by on $300 a month.

Almost impossible, I would say. A $1000 US minimum.

I agree with others that you could survive on that amount but it would be tight.

for sure it would be tight, but honestly it also would be risky for a non ethiopian, who has not the social back up by his /her friends and famelie.

If you go to Ethiopia you must have a backup, their are always some unexpected things Happening. You should check your NGO if they can and are willing to give you this help in case of Need!

Just imagine, you get robbet at the evening on your way home, loss 800 Birr in this, at the end of the month, with your salary beeing not more than 5000 birr.....

I remember once we meet a Young Girl from Germany in Addis, who left her NGO as well. She came to Ethiopia with the will of helping, working.... finaly she splitt with the NGO and was Standing their with almost nothing. The NGO was not willing even to pay the return flight home to Germany......

Oliver

Hi depends on your living style if you want to have a night out once every week you can spend anything like 30 dollars on one night easy.

It won't be easy trust me ask for at least 600 just to get by. :)

meter69 wrote:

yes I agree that it is more than most People earn, but I gues than we have to explain how do this People live. Beside this we have to see how Ethiopian famelis often function on their economic way creating a socila back up. This will not be in place for a Non Ethiopian, comming into the Country.

Beside this Judy do you know if this Money is cross salary, do you have to pay ET income tax from this, which would be around 35%, you should be sure on this and ask your NGO.

Their are many different indicators which are used by financial People to judge the economic Status of a Country, most known and even mostly used in Ethiopia is currently the grows rate, eveybodya is looking at this, often even very prowed. which is fine. But a big BUT, their is much more and I myslef have my own indicator, excuse me for beeing very German now, that is the DRAFT indicator. Taking the cost for a draft tells me much more! Or lets look at some items which are more used in Ethiopia, we could call it the Chicken (Doro) indicator, or the ediable oil (sait) indicater..........

Judy will have 5800 Birr, .....

1 L of ediable oil (simple) = 100
1 chicken (Supermarket) = 120
1 draft = 10 to 12- normal place, but can go up to 28 and more

The UN has reported for Ethiopia in 2011 a Food Inflation of 32% and a non Food Inflation of 25%

Myself is only going to AA for the day avoiding to stay over night where I have to pay min 400 Birr for a Hotel and many things I have to pay more than locals, we know that a taxi for a non ethiopian, Judy has to pay more than double the Price a local would pay. For her it will be difficult to get a taxi below 200 Birr (in the day time, night time they ask non ethiopians easely 400 Birr).

I belive you can live with 300 USD, but you will not enjoy a lot

Oliver

Totally agree with oliver, I think its a  good advice , you should consider what he mentioned

Hello Judy

maybe tell us what you are going to do with this NGo, what is your Job and did you consider any other vaccancies in Ethiopia, what is your Background.

By the way peace core is always looking for some People in Ethiopa and for profesionals USAID is realy desperatly looking for staff willing to work in Ethiopia.

Oliver

$10 a day (abt EBirr 200/-) is decent as an Expat for JUST FOOD, with a mix of eating out and cooking yourself; if that answers your question. An average dish in decent restaurant costs EB 70 in normal local restaurants. Traveling by taxis is unbelievably expensive...not less than 100 Birr for even 5 kms if you are a foreigner!!

what about this Judi!!! ???? do you want to make life long friends,you want to learn new culture and to travel to Ethiopian highlands, lalibala and Axum, also other breath taking places in a very chip expenses!!!?? then come to Ethiopia.

How i can search for teaching job in ethiopia. presently i am living in U.A.E, I am an Indian also

Hello everyone

Is 2000USD-3000USD good for a family of three (2 adults and 1 child)

1. What are good areas in Addis that are also not super expensive
2. Internet cost
3. Entertainment

Thanks

If they are providing accomodation which they pay for, this amount is fine.
if  YOU HAVE TO FIND  a house  and pay it could cost 750$ a  month at least.
Which school is it. ??
Are they paying for your work permit and visas....Green Card etc

Please us xxx or message me on tripadvisor ethiopia forum..... i  am   addisadvisor

Moderated by Bhavna 8 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your e-mail ad on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I have been offered an amount of 3500 USD with accommodation. I am with my family (two kids- 4 yr and 6 mth). Is it possible to hava a decent life and save? We are not a party goer and lead a very simple life.

Hi there the fact that your housing and utilities are covered is a good thing cause rent here is rather high. You can survive on 300 usd provided that you are a bit careful in your spending habits. You can augment your income by doing tuition after school if your employer doesn't mind.
cheers

Judy,
Listen seriously to what Oliver said. I am an expat American living and working here. 300 US dollars a month will not got all that far. Unless you are bringing a reserve of US cash for "mad money", things will be rather limited for you. Ethiopia is an exciting, and extraordinary country. If you goal is to live as an typical Ethiopian does, then go for it. I would also negotiate your residency card with the school hiring you, as this can make some things more affordable and easy (travel and hotel expenses). Also practice your bargaining skills. Best of luck.
John in Addis