Sandman6 and others in libya:what you're using for easy access to net?

really Dire to access to the internet in libya? what are youre using? specific gadgets? and what speed usually you can get? what is the best way comportable and easiest to communicate to the world?

thanks!

Enjoy

CLICK THIS LINK IF YOU CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO SEARCH...

Thanks Sandman6 and others! for the info and reliabilty,

FOLLOW UP QUESTION:If you work from home really need a connection for your business, Vsat and microwave based VoIP
systems are available starting from LYD 500 per month plus modem/switch/router/antenna cost.

Is this also the monthy cost for subscription to LTT WiMax? even i bring my anntena and all those stuff needed for me to get there signal? and even my built in modem/wifi get there weak signal i still pay 500LYD?

Well, hope to see you soon sandman6 for a bottle of malt!

Dedicated VoIP is way over the top for a home office setup, unless you are streaming real-time data and need your own bandwidth and uninterrupted connection. All very nice if your employer is providing it, otherwise go WiMAX. If you save your big downloads for late evening or early morning it's even quicker.

The cost of the LTT WiMAX is a one-off is 620 Lyd for the ZYX modem and 400 Lyd worth of vouchers with a 10Gb per month download. To get around the download limit, check my post on the WiMAX thread. In addition, you'll need to spend another 350 Lyd on a pair of external antennae/cables/pole to get the most out of the signal. A decent wireless router (I use a Belkin N1 Vision) will give you excellent connectivity all around your house.

A bottle of Macallan will go down VERY well....:D

LTT has this week introduced a new modem the Huwaui EchoLife BM626 WiMAX CPE as a replacement for the ZYXL modem which I use for my office and had issues with from day 1.

I received the new modem yesterday and it works like a charm, as an added bonus, infact a great bonus, the BM626 offers wireless connectivity. It also can be connected to an external directional antenna for those locations where coverage is weak. I hooked it up to my 16dB antenna and it works great.

So if you are experiencing issues with your Zyxl, my advice would be to go along to the Service Centre -they will test it and try to convince you that it works fine-  and strongly put your case to them that it is unstable and has been causing you problems.

The guy at the new LTT Customer Service Centre in Fashlum told me that a large percentage of the Zyxl modems are having problems and are getting replaced free of charge with the BM626.

Regards
EL

ExpatLibyan wrote:

The guy at the new LTT Customer Service Centre in Fashlum told me that a large percentage of the Zyxl modems are having problems and are getting replaced free of charge with the BM626.
EL

The fundamental problem with the ZYX modem was that LTT didn't know/forgot/couldn't be bothered to flash the modems with the correct firmware before releasing them on sale! :mad:

The EchoLife modem (according to the spec) isn't any higher  spec than the ZYX, but I guess if you get get a new one out of them, then do it :)

We use a ZTE modem from LTT. in Dahra Souq area I don't use any external antaenna, the signal is not stable regarding the speed but allows to Skype home. the voice is perfect, the picture being slow at times though. During Ramadan it was like hell, the signal emerged after midnight. now you can get connected all day, the speed increasing at night, so I leave my downloads for the night.

I received the BM626 as well with my connection last week. Signal strength is excellent in the house (Janzour), no need for the external antennae.

VoIP (Vonage) box connected painlessly to the modem and everything is working just fine so far.

Hi Dear All,

We are going to come to Libya, Is internet connection is avilable at home for personal use and what is the price per month? Do we get good speed? Shall we purchase a laptop in Libya or bring it from India? Are laptops cheaper there? Through discussions we came to know that there is voltage variations in Tripoli, what kind of stabilizer shall we bring? In India we have 230V to 250V range voltage supply, what @ Libya?

Please give reply.

Regards,

Kapil

hi all

i have installed a new     Huawei EchoLife BM626 WiMAX CPE at home, the average download speed is 20kb\s which i think it is very slow, and usually i received 40kb\s download speed. generally it is not stable. i am looking for answering to some questions:

the LTT has blocked some web sites such as youtube, and the problem has been solved to ADSL users, and wimax USB and ZYX gateway users by changing your DNS address in windows to Google DNS "8.8.8.8" & "8.8.4.4", but it does not work with me or with my EchoLife BM626 WiMAX CPE gateway why?????

in the above you have talked about the possibility to connect my EchoLife BM626 WiMAX CPE to external antenna, what i see that there is no external antenna connection, so how? and if so, is the internet speed will be increased and i will not face any internet instability?

when you login to BM626 setting, and open wimax statue i find Link strength which is average 75% and link quality which is average 15 %. are they good? when are they very good?

alashhar wrote:

there is no external antenna connection, so how? and if so, is the internet speed will be increased and i will not face any internet instability?

According to the product data sheet for the Huawei EchoLife BM626 , your modem has a connection(s) for an external antenna.

Here:

PRODUCT DATA SHEET

Anyone else having trouble with WiMax in Es-Sider?  Worked great on installation 2 weeks ago then a week ago it went off for 3 days.  My WiMax router showed no signal during this time.  When it came back on again it was very slow and degraded even further to the point it took an hour to load a normal web page.  I reset the router from scratch but no improvement and then it went off completely 3 days ago.  This time the signal is still good on the router and it was when it was poor, but there is no connection.  Argh.....  Frustrated Man!

alashhar wrote:

hi all

the LTT has blocked some web sites such as youtube, and the problem has been solved to ADSL users, and wimax USB and ZYX gateway users by changing your DNS address in windows to Google DNS "8.8.8.8" & "8.8.4.4", but it does not work with me or with my EchoLife BM626 WiMAX CPE gateway why?????

Try to use proxy websites if google DNS is not working, also try to change your DNS in WiMax CPE

Or use one of those VPN sites...

I've been in the desert now for 3 weeks and it hasn't been working for over 2 of them.  LTT are just stealing the money.  Had the same trouble as Faqi over blocking access to all sorts of websites last year in Tripoli so got a new account and ran it through Hide My Ass VPN and it worked fantastically well until the system broke down. 

On complaining, all I get from LTT is it will be OK tomorrow which odf course it isn't.  THey give you an alternative number to call if you complain long enough but it is just an Arabic recorded message.  Utter bullshit and I thought Nigeria was bad for scams.

ARGH..............

Anyone knows if there is some restrictions connecting an ATA device with Wimax echo life? I'm trying to set up my Linksys Pap2. I got an account with callcentric and trying to set it up but my account is not registering. I tried also setting the account with wimax echolife also (since it can work as an ATA also) but its not registering. I guess there is some configuration inside the wimax that I have to change. Apreciate much if anyone can help.

I am using my VoIP box (Vonage)with Echolife and it is working fine.

Maybe you need to check the settings on your Linksys device on how to connect to the internet. PPPoE vs other options (I can't remember off the top of my head). I faced the same issues when I switched from ADSL to Wimax but just changing from PPPoE to one of the others it did the trick for me.

Did you change any setting in the Wimax itself? I tried using also a soundwin ATA which works also as a router. The soundwin was able to get an internet connection but my sip account is not registering. Someone advice me that I have to make some changes in the wimax itself like the port forwarding. Im not to familiar with networking. What model of Voipbox you have? I want to try getting one to see if it will work on my side. I

Siddiqui wrote:

I am using my VoIP box (Vonage)with Echolife and it is working fine.

Maybe you need to check the settings on your Linksys device on how to connect to the internet. PPPoE vs other options (I can't remember off the top of my head). I faced the same issues when I switched from ADSL to Wimax but just changing from PPPoE to one of the others it did the trick for me.

It's probably blocked. Try using a private VPN.

DlinkVWR, supplied by Vonage. Under the WAN settings tab I select Dynamic IP address option for internet settings. This option then doesn't require me to plug in any username or password in the VoIP box itself.

I then connect the modem (or internet) port of the VoIP box to any of the 4 LAN ports of the echolife router.

Works for me.

Related discussion:

LTT WiMAX http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24067

WiMax Usage Allowance http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=31381

How about internet connections to shipyards? Do you have any internet connections that uses prepaid internet cards, USB dongle as a broadband? And can you do internet on your mobile phones? :)