Get a new Drivers License in Puerto Rico?

So I have an expired license from Indiana (expired April 17 2012) and I want to exchange it in Ponce Puerto Rico. I was wondering, first, what tests I will have to take and how much it will cost. Or can I just trade the license in . Also, the written and Driving Test, can I get both in english (if required)? Also, where is the place located? Is it in El Pueblo (downtown Ponce) or somewhere else? Please only answer if you live here and know what you are talking about, it might be different then in the U.S., so please only answer if you are not guessing. Thanks.

Also I was wondering if I treat this like renewing my license? With Paperwork and stuff?

Hello Jonathanp55.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

So as to make it more visible, your post has been moved to the Puerto Rico forum.

This thread on Driving license in Puerto Rico may help.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hello,

I found the DTOP Ponce office online:
Bo. Canas Sector El Tuque, Carr. 591
Ponce, PR 00731

I live in San Juan & inquired about getting a license here with an Ohio driver's license.  Every state is different, but with an Ohio driver's license, I only need to take the written test.  Yes, you can take it in English too. 

Along with the written test, you will need a medical examination as well.  At the San Juan office, they literally have Doctor's offices in the same parking lot.  So I'm pretty sure it's the same in Ponce.

However, I still have a valid Ohio license, & am unsure if they will take an expired one. 

Good luck, & if you have any questions let me know :)

Angie

Abattig wrote:

Hello,

I found the DTOP Ponce office online:
Bo. Canas Sector El Tuque, Carr. 591
Ponce, PR 00731

I live in San Juan & inquired about getting a license here with an Ohio driver's license.  Every state is different, but with an Ohio driver's license, I only need to take the written test.  Yes, you can take it in English too. 

Along with the written test, you will need a medical examination as well.  At the San Juan office, they literally have Doctor's offices in the same parking lot.  So I'm pretty sure it's the same in Ponce.

However, I still have a valid Ohio license, & am unsure if they will take an expired one. 

Good luck, & if you have any questions let me know :)

Angie

Ok thanks. Although if they wont take it as an expired license, how will they handle that. I will just have to take both tests like a new license?  I did see the medical stuff, I will have to get a checkup, need to anyway. It is just that in the U.S. the driving office, or DMV where I lived, was really horrible. I just dont know how hard they will be to deal with here...

Yes, you will have to take both tests. Angie already said that the written test can be taken in English.

Since your license has expired I would recommend to not show it - it will only complicate things and in the end you will have to take both tests anyway. Bring a valid photo ID!

For the driving test you need to bring a car (with a valid marbete or sticker) and somebody with a driver's license who drove it to the DTOP office.

Like with everything government related make sure you have plenty of time and patience. If you don't speak Spanish it is very helpful to have someone around who does. Not every DTOP employee will speak English (or admit they do)

Good luck!

I am over 25 and have a valid NJ license without outstanding issues.  I am moving to PR in the next month.  And would like to get my license on my next visit.

Using Google Chrome, it looks like a NJ driver's license receives partial reciprocity.  I guess that means that I need only take theoretical exam. 

Is there a manual in English from which I can study?
What do I need to bring in order to show residency? 
Can I get my license on the same day as the theoretical exam?
Is there anything else I need to provide?

newark18 wrote:

Using Google Chrome, it looks like a NJ driver's license receives partial reciprocity.  I guess that means that I need only take theoretical exam.

You should check that with the DTOP..

newark18 wrote:

Is there a manual in English from which I can study?

Yes, go to Walgreens, they sell the manual both in Spanish and in English.

newark18 wrote:

What do I need to bring in order to show residency? 
Can I get my license on the same day as the theoretical exam?
Is there anything else I need to provide?

A utility bill in your name is what most agencies accept as proof of residency. It's always good to have a photo ID and your SS card handy.

I would think that you will have to take the medical examination, too and of course you'll need a couple of photos. Close to every DTOP office you can get all of that for a small fee.

If you only need to take the theoretical exam and you pass it, yes, you'll walk out with your new PR license.

Thank you for your reply.

Do you mean any Walgreens in the US?

I was told that the person I will be leasing from that I need only a bill under his name and a letter from him.  Is that correct?

Again thanks for your help.

newark18 wrote:

Do you mean any Walgreens in the US?

Nope, any Walgreens in Puerto Rico. :)

newark18 wrote:

I was told that the person I will be leasing from that I need only a bill under his name and a letter from him.  Is that correct?

I'd be surprised if that would work. Then again, this is Puerto Rico...

1) i got my license here, and helped two friends transfer theirs
2) it is wicked easy.  you live in ponce, I can only comment on San Juan (our dtop) is south of carolina near the Infanteria. Gringos go to the far line and you simply need the paperwork. If I recall, it is a utility bill, old license, birth certificate, notarized "sella" or stamp you get next door. The units are next door to each other, everyone speaks english. You will need also first need to go to the "doctor", I recommend the excellent shop just past DTOP on the right (first stop past DTOP). They ask you a few questions, and give you their stamp, you will need to do this first before going to dtop.
3) Gringos get special treatment at DTOP, you won't have to wait in line, just politely in english ask for the license transfer line. The line is the far line at the end once you find the room.
They do take your old license, however.

Never pull an attitude, these guys are there to help.

You don't need an eye exam, written exam, or anything else. Welcome to Puerto Rico!  BTW, it will cost around $70 bucks, plus or minus depending on how much your "lawyer" charges at the "doctor's" office.

Inside of the gates, they can also provide help but it is generally a bit more than the shops outside of dtop for the lawyer and doctor.

Jonathanp55-  What was your experience with getting a PR drivers license with a expired DL from the states?  I am in the same boat and need to get my DL soon.  I am living here in Guaynabo.

Thank you,
Heidi

Truthfully I still don't have it. I wanted to go over the rules and could not find an english driving booklet, and then I found out that the english booklet was outdated. I went to a small DTOP office and they didn't even know that there was an english one available. I did get a car though. And I got it registered and everything transfered to me without a license. Just a voting card from Puerto Rico. I am still getting it, but I am waiting until december. So I have not been successful yet, but that is mostly because I have not really concentrated on it because I am so busy. Keep me up to date on your, lets try to help each other through this adventure! :D

I believe Puerto Rico only has reciprocity on Driver's Licenses with a few states, which means that if you get a PR license and later move to a state that doesn't do reciprocity with PR, then you'd have to take some sort of test in that new state in order to get a new license (as opposed to a simple exchange of your license).

NomadLawyer wrote:

I believe Puerto Rico only has reciprocity on Driver's Licenses with a few states, which means that if you get a PR license and later move to a state that doesn't do reciprocity with PR, then you'd have to take some sort of test in that new state in order to get a new license (as opposed to a simple exchange of your license).

I think i saw that Florida has  reciprocity  with the P.R. Noit sure but i thought i saw that. Mark

They do.

http://yoursmiles.org/ksmile/flag6/brazil-flag-waving-smile.gif

Matt V. - Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil
Visit my Personal Blog - brazilbs.blogspot.com

This is based on my wife's experience. She is from Mayaguez. The key here is that your license is expired. That means no matter what state you are from you won't be able to transfer anything. Her license was expired and she had to take the written and driving tests just like she was getting a new license for the first time. I expect that you will probably have to do the same thing, including the physical. You can take the written test in English. The driving part I'm not sure of. Expect certain things when you go to the DMV. Plan for plenty of time because it's going to take awhile. Anything that has to do with dealing with the government is time consuming and often times frustrating. Even in the states dealing with the DMV can be frustrating and time consuming. I don't know how your Spanish is, but if it's not that good I would suggest taking a friend along who speaks Spanish well to help speed things up a bit. Just be patient and you will eventually get through it.

Pick a satelite dtop office to do your renewals or whatever.  There is seldom much of a wait there as in the large main offices.
Florida has reciprocity, so  there are no tests.
Renewals look like a nightmare, but every office has "helpers" waiting outside to do the paperwork, photos, medicals, etc.  The entire thing is a sham done easily just to fulfil the letter of the law.
If you are over 60 you do not have to wait in longer lines.  They take you first.  That is the law.

Hello everyone!

We just did our long process of getting our marbete and drivers license yesterday (from 6:30am to 2pm) when we got to the counter they told us they would not be giving any more tests that day. Furthermore they do not test on Saturdays, this is at the Arecibo location btw. Since we have to work like most ppl during the week does anyone know which location will perform at least the written portion of the test? (we need the written and drivers test) I looked on the DTOP site and it doesn't give any indication. I know this is a long shot but I am hoping someone can tell me this morning so we can get there somewhat early.  Thank you!

Hi Olivia and welcome to Expat-blog.

Your experience yesterday is "normal" for this island. The only advice I can give you is to go there even earlier than you did yesterday.
I don't think that you can do the test on Saturdays at all...

Welcome to Puerto Rico  :|

Gary,

Thanks for the info, yeah, I don't think so either, I'll have to go Monday. We actually got there yesterday at 6:15 am and there was only one person so it was all good. It just took so long because we had a title transfer, marbete AND drivers license application. At least its out of the way and a load off our shoulders. :)