Learning to Speak French

I will be moving to Paris in the next year, along with many things to get ready for, the number 1 thing I am focusing on is learning French. I took French in high (10 years ago) I have taken 1 refresher course in college and have visited a few times. SO I have some knowledge and am able to ask a few questions with a little understanding of the language. My question is would I be better off taking another class at a Jr College or would it be better to buy the Rosetta Stone. My wish is to be as close to fluent as I possible can. Do you have any suggestions on reaching my goal, or am I better off to learn when I get there.

Thanks for any of your thoughts,
Tabatha

I think the only way to become fluent in a language is to live in a country where it's spoken, so I guess you'll learn better once you're in France.
In the meantime, you can always make vocabulary lists (about everyday life - you know, things you might need to know pretty quickly!) and learn them, and try to watch movies (DVDs) in French (which can actually be movies you've already seen, but watch them in their French version)...

Of course you can try with the Rosetta stone, but without taking French lessons I don't think you will fluent very soon :)http://parisvf.blogspot.com/

Hi! I am also moving in the next few months. Unlike you I didn't take any French in school, so what I have chosen is both the jr. college and Rosetta Stone (which is very good btw). Let me know if you have any tips. Are you getting a VISA? Do you have a job lined up?

If you're thinking of buying Rosetta Stone, why not try http://www.livemocha.com

It's basically the same thing as Rosetta Stone but free and online...

It's a basic course...nothing past "l'imparfait" so if you're looking to review the future or conditional tenses, it's too basic...

But just to review the basics or learn the basics, it looks pretty good.

If you can get find some DVDs with French as an option, I would start listening to spoken French as soon as possible...

It takes a while to get used to hearing it spoken by natives so the sooner you start the better.

You'll find some good tips about learning French here

And then some more tips for learning any language here

Good luck with it...

It just takes practice...a lot of practice...

Hope it helps,

Suzanne

How to Deal with Being an Expat...and Enjoy it!

useful language sites to try:

www.conversationexchange.comwww.assimil.com

Mercie, for all your help, I agree practice makes perfect...I have the time to learn so I am going to get started today!

I will post any tips that I learn along the way.

Janvier10 wrote:

Hi! I am also moving in the next few months. Unlike you I didn't take any French in school, so what I have chosen is both the jr. college and Rosetta Stone (which is very good btw). Let me know if you have any tips. Are you getting a VISA? Do you have a job lined up?

Another good tip: watch documentaries and arts programmes on French television, people usually speak more clearly and the context is more apparent than in drama or debate. This is particularly so on the Arte channel (usually no. 7) which is a joint French/german operation, and most programmes are designed tp be shown in both countries so are made with a view to being translated.

Also, most digital (numerique) channels have the  option to display sub titles (in French) for the hearing impaired. This is really good to improve your undersdtanding.

And a second tip: talk to French people in French whenever you can. Make opportunities to do so, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. They will forgive you, because you are trying.

I would image the more you spoke French before you arrived the smoother the transition would be.

Keeping in mind if you had a good grasp of the lingo the easier it would be to set yourself looking for a job, apartment, etc.

Once you arrived and if you throw yourself in the deep in I'm sure your level of French will increase dramatically. Although, if you get stuck only haning out with other English speakers, it will take much longer to become fluent.

Wow, you're so lucky... I'm from Philippines and I wish I could go to France too. I'm still studying college and I am halfway of finishing my level 2 french. I still have far to go and I'm so excited =)

Anyway, living in a French-speaking country is the only way to speak like a native. But if you really have a talent in this, well maybe you can handle it. I guess you'll have a hard time communicating at first but you'll get used to it. I listen to my French Living Language mp3s before and after sleeping and I get good results from that ;)

Good Luck! (I'm dying to go to France =))

I've also just now thought of going to Paris. I live in Denmark at the moment, and came here to learn Danish. So I'd definitely recommend taking French classes once you get to Paris. There are plenty of schools that teach French, but if I were living in Paris I would likely go to the Alliance Française, if only because there is one in my hometown of New York City, and because there are Alliance Françaises all over the world...

Bonne Chance!!!

Hi guys. I'm french and I can speak with everybody, or simply tell you what is great in France (monuments for example (if you want to go to France)). Just add me : [email protected]

I can help you for learning french... and in exchange, maybe you can help me, a little, to speak english :) (I speak English a bit)

La tour Eiffel, Victor Hugo, la fameuse langue du romantisme... Je suis votre homme pour tout vous apprendre sur le Français :)

Hi everybody, I'm Ntokozo writing from South Africa and I would like to move to France permanently but I have a few question, how are the chances of finding work over there with this whole recession thing going? i have  college diploma in Mechanical Engineering I graduated last year,as for my French I only know Bonjour,bien,cava,comment vacsu and pas trop mal and that's it! Please help!

Hi Ntokozo! Could you please start a new discussion on Paris forum. :)
(You are off topic)

Thank you!

We CAN speak french together if you Want?

you can try language exchange in Paris, there are many people doing this.

Or for something a little different you could try this...

(Moderated - No free advertising on the website)

:)

Simon

[Moderated: off-topic]

Hey, that's cool that you want to learn a foreign language. I will soon be in the process of learning a foreign language as well. Possibly French too, but preferably German, Chinese, or Italian. But similar to just about everything, learning this language will take time and hard work. [Moderated: free ad is not allowed on the forum]

tell us hows it is going

hey...even for a chinese, we doubted before whether we could learn french as well...

later, i proved to the class, if your english is good and fluent, your french will be excellent too. 40% of the french words are "borrowed" by english as french people said.hahaha

[moderated]

well..i m learn at Busuu.com. might you can try it. and don't hesitate to contact me when you come around mulhouse. i would like to have new friend also. btw ANYONE CAN SPEAK BAHASA INDONESIA?!...

Salut
Marsini

Bonjour tout le monde !
I am a nice french guy from the South of France. I live in Paris 17th, and I'm 30 years old.
I'd like to meet foreign friends to talk about our cultures, countries, different way of life, or language exchange.
If you feel up to make acquaintance, drop me a line. And, I will be happy to answer you asap.
Best wishes

Bonjour! I'm teaching french for foreign people and i always recommand them to use TV5 Monde, a french-speaking tv channel which has a lot of material on its website for french learners: tv5.org/cms/chaine-francophone/lf/p-26292-Langue-francaise.htm; as well as RFI, international french radio which also has a lot of exercises and documents to improve understandind and practice of french in general: 1.rfi.fr/lffr/statiques/accueil_apprendre.asp.
What students appreciate with these 2 websites is that you can find exercises from beginner leveel, which helps to motivate as you will see that you can understand a lot without thinking that you know a lot!
When your level is better, I also recommand to read Courrier International newspaper, which is an excellent source of information as articles are coming from all over the world: courrierinternational.com/.
If you need any other information, feel free to ask!

Hello MarianneP69 and welcome on board :D

Just to inform you that this thread is an old one (nearly 3 years ago ! )

Thanks for your share anyway! Feel free to create a new thread if ever you have any query.

Regards

Kenjee

ha ha ha! thanks! sorry...too excited to participate!

Hi! I am also studying french. I used to attend classes at alliance in manille but i quit due to my busy schedule. I am now studying on my own.
I use these materials:
1. michel thomas french
2. Assimil new french with ease
3. Brainscape french vocabs
4. Coffee break french podcast

Rosetta stone is ok but quite expensive.

there's very interessant classes at alliance française

[Moderated: No free ad]

you can use podcasts ...it is a god way to learn

Yes, I agree. I use the free podcast Coffee Break French. :)

Most of the major newspapers sites have podcasts and it is a good way to be aware of the world. :)