Documents for legalisation in the UK

Could anyone please advise me which personal documents I should get legalised if I am coming to Bahrain from the UK to work. I read somewhere that birth certificates for children and marriage certificates should be legalised, is this correct? I am aware that as I am coming to work as a teacher I will need to get copies of my qualifications legalised.

Hello ESLTutor. I am not aware of these requirements.

But responding to your post in order to bump it up to the top for other forum regulars to see and respond if they can.

Best wishes.

We had various documents legalised (probably more than necessary - but we run on the basis of we'd rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it!).  Also it was cheaper to add items on with the notary we used rather than to do them separately.   ;)

We did:
degree certificates
marriage certificate
our son's birth certificate
I think my husband included his chartered engineer qualification too.

Hope this helps, I'm sure someone else will be along with anything I have missed!!

S

Many thanks MummyT for your reply,

I am in the process of getting my marriage certificate and qualifications legalised by the FCO, next step will be visiting the Bahraini embassy in London for their stamp too. I didn't send my children's birth certificates but with hindsight maybe I should have done those too. I have found  the whole process quite expensive even though we didn't need to pay a solicitor (family friend did us a favour) once you have paid the the FCO and the Bahraini embassy you are a few hundred pounds lighter!
Could I ask if you ever needed to use your sons legalised birth certificate copy for anything?

Check the price online for Bahrain embassy, it was £20 but when I arrived there they told me it's £40, website has not been updated for 3 years. Not sure if they updated it or not.

you will need your kids birth certificate to be able to get a resident visa for them, I'm in the process of getting my family visa and they asked me to provide it.

I know it's a lot of money but will be easier than doing it here.

So they definitely need copies of the birth certificates? They won't take passport or look at originals?

once you pass the probation period you can apply for family visa, unless they are coming with you then you can convert their visit visa to resident visa, depends on your employer, I believe it's the same procedures.

you can get a copy of birth certificate from the registration office to be only for legalisation if you want to keep the original without stamps, this what i have done.
your employer will need legalised marriage certificate and birth certificate to apply for resident visa for the rest of your family.

We haven't got as far as using the legalised birth certificate for our son as he and I are still only visiting Bahrain until we have finalised a school place (I hope it won't be too much longer now!!).

My understanding is that it will be needed for residency!

HTH

S

Many thanks for clarifying this, it is a very confusing process! I already have extra copies of my children's birth certificates so I will send these off for legalisation, could you tell me if they need the short version (that looks like a certificate) or the longer version (that looks like a form) for legalisation purposes?

I believe my husband and two children will be coming out with me as my employer has not indicated otherwise.

Copy version has less information than the original one. I have used the copy version and it was ok.

It's better to check with your employer either they will get your family as residents or visitors, if visitors will they cover the cost to convert visitor visa to resident visa or not, it's almost BD 300.
in case they are coming as visitors, make sure to ask for 3 months visitor visa in the airport as they do it for 1 month sometimes. both are the same price (BD 5).

Hope this helps,
M