Life and Work in Maldives for a European person

netyoda wrote:

Interesting viewpoint and well worth taking on board.

I myself probably wouldn't see boredom as an option.

As long as have the internet I can work and access books etc.

I'm considering moving to the Maldives, currently a UK-expat living in Egypt, but I'm not sure yet about costs of living.

Accommodation in the tourist resorts seems prohibitively expensive, and some comments I've read about Male don't endear me to it.

I hope to be visiting in a few weeks to see if it suits me.

Is it possible to get simple accommodation on the islands (1 bed apt/shack with hot water and electric) and USB internet sticks?

Lee

The best place for you, considering what you have writen above will be someplace like Addu Citty (in south). It has everything still it not populated as much as Male, you can easily find a 3G internet by Ooredoo. or you can use Hotspot from your smartphone (if you have).

[Moderated : no copy/paste on the forum pls]

Hi everyone,

If someone could please help me. I am considering doing an internship in Maldives for a global luxury resort chain. What I've been reading so far describe the personal difficulties in giving up your ways and adapting to 'island life'. Which I admit, is hard to do. Although I'm worried about feeling like i'm stuck in a paradise prison, my main concerns are the living conditions. As in many hotels in the Maldives, staff accommodation would be provided. Has anyone had experience living, or knowing somebody who lived in these accommodations? My position would not be high up the chain,  so I would be looking at basic salary, benefits and shared accommodation. I wouldn't want to commit without hearing some feedback first. Any insight would be helpful, please and thank you!

It depends on your duration of stay. If the internship is longer then 6 months then you may fell sick. Resorts are something cool and calm areas that many people may not like after 3-5 days of stay especially if you are a social person. There are resorts in Maldives that you may find as if the only place on the whole island with 15-20 people.

Life in Male is different, its a crowdy place and you may find it colorful due to tourists from different nationalities walking around with a variety of things to do. Not as much as we have somewhere else as the whole island is not more then 1.5 km in area.

So for me I will advise you to think twice before you join any place here. It will depend on your life style, duration of stay and $ you are getting. I am in Maldives right now for Tourism and will stay here till end of March but looks as if I have seen things many many times. Its like I see Male 3-4 times or may be 6-8 times a day :)

Shurjeel

Just by reading a little in this forum made me look forward to moving to a beautiful any beautiful island in the maldives but i don't know where to start! How can i find a job in maldives or any beautiful place in the world? I think it is difficult without having connection there caus no one usually answers the e-mails when looking for a job!!!

Interesting hearing contrasting opinions, I've accepted a sales and Marketing position living in Male starting very soon! I've done so much reading about the place and really just want to get there and experience it for myself. I'm sure that it can be very boring if you just work and do nothing, but I plan on carrying on my scuba diving certificates, surfing, fishing, gyming and getting a great tan as well as a little bit of work! It's got to be said my job will involve visiting many resort islands which gives me the opportunity of experiencing them without working and living on one, which I would most probably never do. I don't expect it to be easy, and am hoping to meet other expats living and working there too, so if anyone else is thinking about moving to Male or currently there give me a shout!

Hi Taliam

I lived/worked in the Maldives for 3 years on 2 resorts. I will be returning soon. I'm English

Myadvice would be that as long as your gut instinct is good then 'go for it', what have you got to lose? there again this is my attitude to life!

It all depends which resort you are going to, the facilities can be very different on each resort.Any experience good or bad is a unique 'life experience' that you may never have again. The interns I've supported have had mixed views about their life on a resort. It's very, very different to life 'on land' so as long as you are aware and areprepared for that then you will be less shocked and happier.

All the best
Anne

Thinking of taking a Bar Management position for 1 year to start with a 5 star resort in Maldives, I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn.
Any pros or cons I should know of?
Also, do they discriminate candidates (particularly women) based on their age?
Does anyone know if the accommodations offered are normally in the resort or at a different location?
Thanks

Hi Karma,

If I may ask...which resort are you going to..? I am supposed to join Lilly Group of Hotels, Hideaway Resort, on the northernmost of the atolls. I am flying next week....does anyone know about the place...it is on Haa Alifu Atoll.

Stefan

Hello,
I've read your post about life in Male' and i have a question to you. Me and my girlfriend would like to change place and work somewhere faraway, we speak  English (advance), German (basic), Russian (basic), Polish (native). The best way to find a job is to go somewhere and search for it but we just cant afford this, so maybe someone here knows if any place needs 2 people to work :) Thanks ! :))

Hi there, see other posts re pro's and con's.....absolutely no discrimination of women based on age....or generally gender either...acc on resort...

best and easiest way to find a job is from www.job-maldives.com

Do not get paid in Maldivian ruphia.....you can not exchange it anywhere else in the world, and i mean anywhere else in the world. Only get paid in US dollars otherwise you will be stuck with all this useless money. The Islands look like Paradise and after 1 week you will go batty. Just remember, most people travelling there are couples either on honeymoon or going for a peaceful break. After 8pm at night the place is a ghost town. In Male' the capital, men cannot go with their women and vise versa. Their is only 1 hotel in Male' that you can drink alcohol at if thats what you do. The rest of the hotels serve non alcoholic drinks.
They are quite hypocritical and very set in their ways so if you are an outsider they will constantly tell you "that's the way we do it in the Maldives"

Hi Everyone,

I am planing to working in Maldives.
we are married couple. If one get job there, can spouse go there as dependent and find work with in few months?
and also may I know 1500 USD + accommodation + free food + holiday tickets are reasonable package or not. Can I live in male with 1500USD?
Can we save that?

how is the life working in a 5 star resort... I'm a young graduate from a hotel school and might be proposed to work in a hotel in the Maldives. I am quite worried now based on some comments, any experiences ?

Any comments on this. I'm also planning on accepting an offer at Gan Islands. I also have a similar offer. Is it good for a married couple? any comments are welcome.

Yvonne Anne wrote:

Hi Taliam

I lived/worked in the Maldives for 3 years on 2 resorts. I will be returning soon. I'm English

Myadvice would be that as long as your gut instinct is good then 'go for it', what have you got to lose? there again this is my attitude to life!

It all depends which resort you are going to, the facilities can be very different on each resort.Any experience good or bad is a unique 'life experience' that you may never have again. The interns I've supported have had mixed views about their life on a resort. It's very, very different to life 'on land' so as long as you are aware and areprepared for that then you will be less shocked and happier.

All the best
Anne

Hi Anne,

I am planning to push my application in a 5 star hotel resort at Kooddoo. But I am wondering how will my accomodation be and my experience during my day off?

Can you share how was it working on a resort for 3years?

I hope i can get a reply even this post is 4yrs ago.

Thank you in advance.

S

Please send me a link for these jobs