Is Belize city that bad?

Hi
Ty for the information from this blog.lm Mike.I'm looking to move to san Pedro or Belize city in October.lm retired and looking for a laid back lifestyle.I want to rent. Is Belize city that bad?I'm from NYC

Lot of my friends live in Belize city. I do not hear them complaining. I think it is prudent to avoid certain part of the city especially at night . This may be the same in cities in many parts of the world.

Hi about 20 years ago I lived for a couple of years in Belze city. I still love belize. there are some areas to avoid like around the bus station and south Belize city but there are lots of newer residential areas along the Northern highway which are nice places to live. We lived at Bella vista all those years ago and it is now much more built up with really good shopping areas too. As a New Yorker I am sure you understand not all of any city is good or bad just take care and advice from a realtor or knowledgable friend.

Thanks for your feedback regarding how long it might take to get a sense of what living in Belize is like. What you say about going during the worst months makes a lot of sense. I think we'll probably end up visiting in May or June, so that should cover the experience of not so great weather.

Thanks again for your help!

Margo

My thoughts exactly thanks for the reassurance. Now my problem lies in my arrival. I'm planning on staying at a hotel until I find an apt preferably by the beach. I'm open to all suggestions or reccomadations. I'm single a studio or 1br Will do. Also do you need rt ticket for customers?once again Ty for all your help.

Belize City is the rectum to the GI tract of Belize. Country wide what life is like there is best summed up here by a current resident of Corozal (not I)....
"Horrific Roads - provided by Belize
Third World Medical Facilities - provided by Belize
Systematic Government Thievery - provide by Belize
Third World Educational System - provided by Belize
Barely Trained Police and Fire - provided by Belize
Stray and Starving Dogs (and horses) and poisoning such animals - provided by Belize
Garbage Strewn Streets - provided by Belize
Rose Colored Glasses - provided by commercially invested  Ex-Pats"

The list can go on. But I believe everyone should have a right to seek what they feel is best for them.

Hi  Mike,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new topic has been created as from your post on the Belize forum.

For your accommodation search, i invite you to post an advert at the housing in Belize section. It might help you.

Enjoy your stay in Belize ;)

Thanks Christine for the warm welcome and advise. Its nice to know people still care. Grazie mille!  :)

Don't know much about Belize city, but Ambergris Caye may fit your needs.  Small studio rentals can be found with prices depending on your preferences of beach front , north or south of town etc.

We prefer south of town, easy accessible to stores, restaurants, markets and nice beaches.  Look around on the site maps and if feel free to pm us if you have questions about locations etc.
Hope this helps.  Good luck!

My girlfriend and I are definitely interested in availability of reasonably priced rentals on Ambergris. We'll be visiting there on 26 Sept thru Oct 4.  We want to get a feel for the real life on the Caye.

Dr Al
As you may know Rectum is a very important part of GI tract and cannot be ignored. It is a 3r world  and  Belize city is a city in a 3rd world . It will take years before  places like Belize city will  be  anything ike a city in US.
I believe it will happen. I can already see changes in that direction.
But criticism like from yours, even though harsh and un pleasant to read may help to push changes happening at a faster pace or will it ?

@Spiceman: this is a seminal event ie you agreeing with me. I shall cherish the moment. As for Belize City, it is a necessary evil at times. Has a great Indian goods store, dim sum at Chon Saan, fresh cherries, Mirabs, and a truly fine cheeseburger at the Riverside Tavern. But few ex pats in their right mind would live there. War zone soldier of fortune enthusiasts maybe. VFW's longing for a night out in Mogadishu.
@prithed43: have a friend on Ambergris. She has been there for years. I make fun of her life style of course. This is what I have learned as I could only stand a few days there myself. Typical day of cultural and intellectually stimulating events: breakfast at Estels, tool around in your golf cart dodging hungover tourists, shopping for very  overpriced goods and groceries, lunch at El Divino followed by lazing around in stifling heat /humidity with a case of Belikin while planning evening festivity: poker runs, trivia night, dart tournaments, bar hopping, and watching coconut Leo antics while dining at Wild Mangos.
Repeat same next day prn.

Sounds perfect LOL.   I guess it's strictly golf carts, no cars?  And I suppose that limits your mobility a bit as well.  We've been looking at real estate on the mainland but though we might briefly settle on Ambergris while we explored a bit. How about transportation on the mainland? Can you buy and park it near the boat landing or would it be best to rent as needed?

Parking in any place un attended is not a good a good idea. Renting though expensive is safer. If you want to be economical traveling by bus  may be another option

Golf carts are the norm on AC for the bourgeois residents. On the mainland car rentals are very expensive and Crystal Auto is the only one decent. The rest suck. Buses are recycled school vintage from up north. They break down a lot. No ac and hot. No potty. Good place to meet locals though. Very cheap.
Most "normal" ex pats opt to reside in Corozal on pragmatic grounds ie proximity to Mexico. Plus it's cheaper. It's kind of  what I imagine Dodge City was like in 1868. Greg at Belize North Real Estate will show you some properties. He is a Vietnam Vet ex marine tunnel rat but he can be trusted anyway.
Cayo district is for back to nature DIY types who like cold outdoor showers. Placencia is euphemistically referred to as the "Penis of Belize. " Sanctuary Belize  is for the rich and shameless who don't really like Belize as such. Toledo is for aficionados of rain, malaria and dysentery. Belize City has no redeeming qualities at all for relocation purposes.

Dr. Al cracks me up.  Of course there is a grain of truth in some of his comments even if they are over the top. Belize is not for everyone.  Dr. Al probably fits into that category. We have lived in the Cayo district for five years, love it and have never had to take a cold shower unless we wanted to.  We also live in a beautiful riverfront American style home for about 2/3 less than it would cost in the states.  If you want to know what it is really like here come and spend six months to a year and surround yourself with people who have adapted to the new environment successfully.

Yes. It is that bad.  Not a laid back place to live. Go to Ambergris.