ABLE COMPUTING PNG ::: POM

Hi guys,

I have a job offer for Able Computing in PNG Port Moresby.  Do you know this company? is this a filipino or australian company?  Is this a good company?  I've been offered a position as Software Manager, but need to sell software (?? what a ?? :)).  I thought software manager is the same as IT Manager here in the Philippines.  Pls. englighten me more about this company and if there are filipino workers for Able Computing.

Thanks.

Don't forget my name.  It's Lapsiduday.:D

Hello Lapsiduday.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hope you will soon get some feedbacks.

Aurélie

There are Filipino workers for Able Computing.  Haven't heard of any major company issues.

Skerah
[Moderated]

Hi there!

Thanks for the replies.  Still waiting others feedback for this company.  In my contract, it says, the 25% of my salary would be kept by the company until I finish my contract with them.  They will give my total savings before I will leave ABLE.  Question:  What if I would take a vacation then suddenly, during my stay in the Philippines, they would call me and say they don't need my service anymore?  How's my savings?  :(

hi Lapsiduday. May i ask, location of agency here in phils for Able Computing? My brother was in Papua New Guinea, he told me also about this company. He informed me to submit my application thru their website, But Im planning to give my resume personally to the agency. Hope to receive answer, does they have local agnecy here in the Phils?

thanks much

I would find out if it is actually legal for the company to keep 25% of your salary to give it to you when you leave the country.

It may be okay or it may be that they are using it as a means to pay less tax.

In my years of living and working in PNG I have never heard of this.

all i can say is GOOD LUCK hahaha...

What would be the salary package they are paying for the Manager Level peoples & additional benefits.. Can you able to share if possible.. You got any HR offer letter and terms of agreement.. Please let me know it will helpful for me to take a further call with them.. my gmail id is [email protected]. please add and we can have a chat ..

The name of the agency is EDI Staff Builders.

Some companies in PNG have an agreement with their employees to withhold a percentage of salary during the term of the contract. Interest is normally paid on this amount. The idea is that it will encourage employees to complete their contract. While I am not in favour of this I believe that it is done because some recruitment agencies charge an upfront fee for their services based on the total salary over the length of the contract so if the employee leaves before the end of the contract the employer is out of pocket. The fact is that in this case the employer did the right thing and advised the employee before they came to PNG and thus allowed the employee the right not to agree to the condition, reject it ot negotiate a compromise. Some companies may not have been as honest as Able Computing and may only have advised the employee after the person arrived in PNG.

As for going on leave and Able Computing saying that you are no longer required and not returning your 25% of salary. I very much doubt this would happen but if it is a concern make sure that the contract clearly indicates that the money will be returned if you are terminated.

andrewdanson wrote:

Some companies in PNG have an agreement with their employees to withhold a percentage of salary during the term of the contract. Interest is normally paid on this amount. The idea is that it will encourage employees to complete their contract. While I am not in favour of this I believe that it is done because some recruitment agencies charge an upfront fee for their services based on the total salary over the length of the contract so if the employee leaves before the end of the contract the employer is out of pocket. The fact is that in this case the employer did the right thing and advised the employee before they came to PNG and thus allowed the employee the right not to agree to the condition, reject it ot negotiate a compromise. Some companies may not have been as honest as Able Computing and may only have advised the employee after the person arrived in PNG.

As for going on leave and Able Computing saying that you are no longer required and not returning your 25% of salary. I very much doubt this would happen but if it is a concern make sure that the contract clearly indicates that the money will be returned if you are terminated.

Welcome to the forum

This thread is over a year old and so by now things may have been resolved.