Is moving to Iceland any easier for a US citizen if self-employed?

Hi. Firstly, I apologize if this has been covered before. I know this topic is always coming up but I looked and found a few similar topics but nothing quite as specific. Secondly...
I am a self-employed (artist manager) US citizen who would very much like to relocate to and work from Iceland. I have read tons of information on how not being from a EEA country makes it nearly impossible to do so unless you have a highly specialized trade, which I admittedly do not. My wife is a business analyst which I also do not believe is considered highly specialized. However, I found a few articles indicating that being self-employed may make things slightly easier. I've read there's an issue with paying social security to two countries (however there may be a work around by creating an Icelandic company and hiring yourself as an employee?). Does anyone have any experience or information on gaining a residence permit as self-employed?
We are in no rush and understand the challenges associated with trying to relocate to Iceland (especially as a non-EEA citizen). We have been to the country and are familiar with it's winters and small population (I grew up in a farm town in the North East...not the same but not too far off). We are in our 30's now and own a home here which we would be looking to sell before moving of course.

Where did you read these articles indicating it would be easier as a self employed person? Afaik, there is still no such thing as a self employed visa for Iceland. If you read the work visa options on utl, all of them list an employment contract as part of the paperwork requirements.

http://utl.is/index.php?option=com_cont … 〈=en

As for creating an Icelandic company, I know it isn't hard to incorporate an ehf if you are in Iceland, but I'm not sure how it works if you don't have any Icelandic registration yourself. I at least don't know of anyone who moved this way.

Fwiw though, the definition of highly specialized may not be quite what you think. Iceland is a pretty small country that doesn't tend to attract people at the top of the pile in the business world. Your wife may be able to find a company who will hire her. Based on years of experience doing the paperwork for a work visa myself, it isn't too complex or expensive for companies to hire non EEA employees.