Need information on Surabaya

Hi all,

I am just looking for information on living in Surabaya.
Cost of living etc.....preferably in euros.
Also has anyone worked for Raffles and can tell me more?

It is the cost of rent I was wondering about, can anyone help with this????????? PLEASE

jennabarry wrote:

Hi all,

I am just looking for information on living in Surabaya.
Cost of living etc.....preferably in euros.
Also has anyone worked for Raffles and can tell me more?

A Google search will give you information about Surabaya.
For cost of living try www.numbeo.com

This is a bit old but it should still be fairly reflective of costs

http://mylifejakarta.blogspot.com/2013/ … -2013.html

Thanks

Hi,

Im working in educational institution also.I have not worked in Raffles but i think it's a big school in Indonesia and I'm hearing it from my colleagues . I am currently in Surabaya too. Isn't the school going to provide you your accommodation?

No they are not providing accommodation.
Can you give me all the information I need on Surabaya?

I'll be happy to help.

When are you planning to come here and where do you plan to stay?

Accommodation here can be an Apartment(or called Condominium in some countries) or a house itself or a plain room(shared with some housemates).

Some houses, depending on their location can range from 28JT(1800 Euro) per year. Condominium can be a lot more expensive.

Let me know your question, and let me try to answer them.

I may not be able to provide all information but i can try to ask my friends here. (i have been here for 1 month, i came from Jakarta)

Hi Again,

Also they are asking me about remuneration package but I am not sure, what is the norm for teaching there?

Thanks
Jenna

Hello again,

As an expat teacher, personally, I have received accommodation for the 1st year, pickup to and from the house they have provided. after contract bonus. In my opinion, min of $1,000 monthly salary (thats the min.). Every year they will pay for my airfare to and from the country of my residence. They will fix my working visa.

AFAIK, those are the remuneration that I accepted. hehe.

First I am wondering what wages I should look for, I will be teaching Multimedia and I have an BA-HDIP-MA, as well as train the trainer certificate and 2 years experiences in tutoring but many years in training.

Is it easy to get accommodation?

Is it safe for a woman on her own seen as its a muslim country?

Do you get much time off?
Is that 1000 dollars US?
They are saying 12-14 days holidays.
They will pay my return flight home after doing 2 years service.

yes, US$.

Holidays? yes. Indonesia has a lot of holidays. We just had 2 weeks of holiday due to Lebaran, a muslim event.
2 yrs of service? most of the schools i have worked with here offers a yearly flight home.

accommodation is easy. there's a lot of options.
it is fairly safe here in Indonesia, as well as Surabaya. I know a lot of woman expat who have lived alone here in Indonesia and is living safely. (but do make sure you do not wear provoking clothes, although some chinese-indo do wear it already.)

It would depend how many classes you will be teaching. but again, AFAIK, it start with $1000USD. and that is very low already.

Living here, food most likely will be $200 per month.. accommodation $180 per month..

shopping is nice. :)

Thanks a million for your help I really appreciate it :)

Jenna, aside from the great advise Phil is giving you I like to remind you that your employer needs to provide you with a working KITAS as otherwise you can not take any job according to the law.

Without holding the right papers you are not allowed to work in Indonesia.

Is a working KITAS the visa?

if you were making $1900 would it be possible to live and to save?

jennabarry wrote:

Is a working KITAS the visa?

The KITAS is the limited stay permit and usually 1 year valid but you will need also the IMTA which is the work permit issued by the Manpower Department.

So you can say that a working KITAS is what you need. No other visa allows you to work in Indonesia.

They are saying on the Irish website that there is a risk of terrorism?
Can you tell me more?
I was also told alcohol is expensive is it?
Is it banned?

jennabarry wrote:

They are saying on the Irish website that there is a risk of terrorism?
Can you tell me more?
I was also told alcohol is expensive is it?
Is it banned?

There can be a risk of terrorism but isn't also in other countries, even in Ireland for example ??

Alcohol is not banned but it's true that it is very expensive.

What would everything cost per month?
What kind of price is alcohol?

jennabarry wrote:

You come here for work or just party ??

How can one tell you how much the price for alcohol is, you talk about beer, wine, gin, vodka etc......??

Except beer and some cheap wine which is local made all alcohol is imported and there is a heavy tax on it.

I am coming to work.
I drink wine, cider and beer mostly so that could work.

I suppose I was wondering if I rented a room and my food for the month, what that would all cost and then if I wanted to have a few drinks on the weekend.

Is there loads of other stuff to do?

jennabarry wrote:

I am coming to work.
I drink wine, cider and beer mostly so that could work.

I suppose I was wondering if I rented a room and my food for the month, what that would all cost and then if I wanted to have a few drinks on the weekend.

Is there loads of other stuff to do?

See my reply on your post in the other thread........

Stuff to do in Surabaya?

mostly shopping malls kill time. if you fancy going out of town, Bali is quite near Surabaya, compared to Jakarta.  there's a nice mountain called Bromo, they say sunrise is a sight for sore eyes. Lombok is also a nice beach.

But if we are talking about surabaya alone, I cant say there's a lot of happenings here. Yes, there are bars, expensive ones and cheap ones. :)

PhilCoulson wrote:

Stuff to do in Surabaya?

mostly shopping malls kill time. if you fancy going out of town, Bali is quite near Surabaya, compared to Jakarta.  there's a nice mountain called Bromo, they say sunrise is a sight for sore eyes. Lombok is also a nice beach.

But if we are talking about surabaya alone, I cant say there's a lot of happenings here. Yes, there are bars, expensive ones and cheap ones. :)

Thanks Phil, that all sounds good.
My college has asked me to sign a two year contract, have you heard of this before?

Yup. My school has 2-3 yr contracts.

I see :)
I'm going to have a look at the contract before I agree to sign though.
They are saying I get a flight after 2 years.

jennabarry wrote:

Hi jenna ..
Room probably can cost u around $200-$300 a month
Aprt around $400 ( not incl elec )
Food its actually depends on what u prefer but it cost around $ 2 for street food and $5 more at the restaurant..

Beer around $3 / btl
Wine $40 ( depends on where )

Surabaya actually not really expensive compare than other big city ..
Depends on ur call :)

Hi I don't know if it is too late but the rent here is really cheap. You can find a room for 50 $ a month.  Here is a Indonesian website.

olx.co.id/

It's all in Indonesian but you can figure out easily for the room. The word for it is Properti.

Take care.