SOS from US expat residing in Morocco

Hi to all of you out there.  I hope that you are all healthy and enjoying the good weather!

As I mentioned in an earlier forum, I am planning to move to Tangier, Morocco.

Will anyone please inform me about the process of receiving my social security
benefits monthly  check in Morocco (Whom do I talk to, what and how do I do..)

Thank you so much in advance.

maco14

Have it paid into your US bank account and withdraw in Morocco using (what we call in the UK) a debit card. This will incur a fee, but you can shop around for the cheapest deal while you are still in the US. It is possible to have direct debit transfers of SS cheques in the US, surely? Isn't there something called a "thrift bank" in the US? I know nothing about them, but they sound as if they might be cheap.

Of course, you could open a bank account in Morocco once your situation is regularised and tell the social security people to send your money to that account, but you might have difficulties in repatriating your money out of Morocco in an emergency because the dirham is not convertible.

As a US citizen you will have to let the relevant authorities know if you open an overseas account. The SS dept will not send money to some countries. Overseas banks have to let the US authorities know if a US citizen opens a bank account in their country
Best you either keep a bank account in US that you can draw the money from using a debit card as laduqesa said.

So kind of you to add up to the information that Laduqesa has provided me.

I will follow up on you advice, and will contact social security ADMN regarding
this matter.

Be healthy and  enjoy where you are.

maco14

Hello,
Your current provider will advise you about this :)

can you be more clear , are looking to get moroccan benefit or european benefit in morocco

fesmorocco wrote:

can you be more clear , are looking to get moroccan benefit or european benefit in morocco

Hello

I'm so sorry but it's perfectly clear what he is talking about and his question has already been answered by more than one person to his satisfaction.

I don't know how you think he might get a European benefit in Morocco seeing as he plainly says that he is from the US.

ok sorry

the ideal way is to find a bank ho's have agences in USA and MOROCCO at he same time or you can even you need contact your bank from tangier to send you money via an money transferer like western union

Hello laduqesa,

I hope that all is well with you.

I'd like to pick your brain regarding banking in Morocco as I asked earlier.

Finally, I was told by citibank in the US that they have a branch called Citi Maghreb in Casablanca and Rabat and that I can open an account with them in the US, then open an account with Citi Maghreb when I'll get to Morocco to facilitate the transactions between accounts whenever I need dirhams.

I attempted to contact someone at the Moroccan branch, but got not response.  Do you know anything about it? Does Citi Maghreb provide private banking or is it just for business/corporate and government?

Thank you in advance, and I'll understand if you can't accommodate me.

Best regards,

maco14

you open account with any bank , not neccerssary to have citi bank account

Hello maco14,

As far as I know and as per Citi Maghreb website this bank does not offer private  banking. On another note, sometime ago  I had a US client who was retired and came to Morocco for some time while deciding if to settle or not, he had his pension coming through the Department of State/ US Embassy in Morocco.

Maybe you should enquire also there. And primarily to your Social security body.

Regards

ok

Thank you for this lead that I'll follow upon.

Have a great day and blissful weekend.

You have probably already resolved this issue but this may be of use to others, not only for social security but other money transfers as well. The U.S. Social Security Web site discusses overseas delivery of checks to the U.S. Embassy where they are forwarded by mail to a local address. I was never comfortable with this arrangement so I never made the effort to contact the Rabat embassy to discuss it.
  I tried bank wires in the past. It was not easy and the transactions took awhile. Banking in Morocco is changing quickly as the country modernizes so perhaps transfers will get easier.
  I have used my Visa card with a local bank AMT. You must have the new card with the chip and a PIN.
  If you occasionally return to the States and intend to return with cash know the U.S. restrictions for carrying it out of the country. If you get stopped trying to improperly leave with more than $10k you could get arrested and have the money confiscated.
  I have made many, many transfers via Money Gram for a decade and never had a problem.  There is a fee and you may not get the best exchange rate but it is dependable. Their services are available in many places in Morocco. If you are residing or even traveling here, have a U.S. bank account with online banking and local WiFi (avoid open public WiFi access) you can transfer funds.  Set up an online Money Gram account then transfer funds directly from the bank to Money Gram with your passport name as the recipient.  The funds are here almost immediately.  Western Union is here as well.
  I am very fortunate to have a son who looks after my affairs in the States. If you have a trusted family member to look after your mail and assist with banking it would be of great help.
  Best of luck and enjoy you stay!

Greetings,

Thank you so much for your information as I'm still dealing with my query.  I still live in the US and plan to relocate by end of winter.

Your reply is very informative and released some of my anxiety because so far I could not find a US bank who has a branch in Morocco.  In addition, I learned during my inquiry that if my plan to relocate to another country and claim residency there, my bank account will be closed if I don't return each six months.  This hit me hard and I don't know how to deal with it. 

I heard about using a US credit card to retrieve money from a Moroccan bank account, and I'd like to know if we pay fee  for these kind of transactions.  Should fees be in the range of what we pay for Western Union or Money Gram, then I think I'd use it. 

Any information regarding customs when shipping furniture and belongings?

Thank you so much for your help.

Best Regards,
maco14

Charles Schwab is reputed to refund all atm charges, domestic and international. You must have a USA mailing address for the account. When you talk to them "traveling abroad" is a safer phrase than "living abroad".

hi  , Mac do , lol ,

What you can do is send a sum on western  but it will cost you a bun !
or open an account in morocco, a foreign account in convertible dirhams
then make a transfer from us ? get a card on this acc in morocco , and cheque book ,
if you want to send the balance at end of your holidays , then you can do !
simple sure , no loss of change.
If you withdraw on your us account ,then you will have to pay fees,
of course , like on euro  witdrawals  say 4 euro for 500  dhs ,
supermarket takes 1 euro for your bill only , Carrefour ,
No worries , money available day and night in Morocco , as welle as petrol .
Cheers

hi

why paying to bring belongings to morocco , anyway there is a certains amount not taxable ,
a list must be established for the c>ustom's purposes
ask the Moroccoan consul near you ,
the custom's never reply  nor the custom's agent , probably no fingers for typing !

Everything is avalaible in Morocco , no use to carry stuff at high cost , container  fees , custom' s fees
which are pleased to let you wait so you pay harbour duties ... this is the black side ,
If you look for  Bowle's  he is gone now  ,
hope this help
stays less than 6months are ok without registering in the country , you go out 2days in Spain
shopping , and come back, stamp again for 3months ,
ferry is  everyday to the nice windsurf place , also Algeciras ,
Rent à house for good price , all year round , I have done this , best way , your friends can come
like at home .
see  plenty to do
Cheers .
good night .