Fully Comp ins on cars over 10 years of age for under 25's

hi, my son lives in Malta and has put down a deposit on a car today which is a 2000 model, however when he went to sort out insurance he was told that no one in Malta would insure a car over 10 years of age with fully comprehensive insurance.

He is 23 years of age, will be 24 in about 3 weeks.  We are a bit concerned as having visited several times and also having lived in Greece i know how erratic european driving can be and am not happy about him not having fully comprehensive insurance.

I spoke to Atlas who said they wouldn't offer him any cover unless he was a name driver on someone elses policy of if one of his parents had a policy with them which we don't. 

Can anyone tell me if this is true about not getting fully comp on cars over 10 years?

There is another company giving him a quote for 3rd party which his friends use and who don't mind insuring under 25's but if there is a company out there that would give him fully comp we would rather pay more to get this cover as he won't be in a position to repair/replace the car if anything should lord forbid happen. 

Thanks in advance for all advice given.

Hello MyGenes

Welcome to Expat.com

Hope that soon enough some members will help you out with the infos you are seeking.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thanks, the quote for the 3rd party fire and theft is very reasonable compared to what he would have to pay in the Uk and we have now asked them to draw up the paper work for it but still not happy about it not being fully comp so not picking up or signing anything until tomorrow as car being collected on Thurs so will keep checking here to see if someone can clarify this for me.