Drivers License

I will finally be living permanently in PR, starting this September.  My home state is New York.  Can I exchange my NY drivers license for a PR license?  Thanks for your help.
Carroll

Absolutely!

I'm afraid the answer is no. Only licenses from a couple of states can be exchanged without a test. NY license owners have to take the theoretical test. More here: http://www.dtop.gov.pr/servicios/det_co … p?cn_id=97

OMG. I gave a wrong answer. I apologize. I thought it was all the states (I'm from NJ).

Wait a minute! I checked Gary's URL and it say only these state are included:
Alemania, Florida, Illinois, Maine, South Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin
However I'm from NJ and turned in my Jersey license and got a PR one WITHOUT taking the test. Perhaps reciprocity means something different. Any comments Gary?

I thought it was from all the states too. But I kept my Virginia drivers license. When I renewed it I just used a friend's address in VA and she mailed me the license. I figured if I ever got stopped by the cops and they questioned me I would just tell them I'm staying down here temporarily and going back to VA soon.

You've been away too long Victor. We don't have a state called Alemania.

True. However if you look at the link provided by Gary Germany is included in the list, I copied it right out of the Regulation. I looked the state list over and now realize that Wyoming is not another country but a state. Little did I know.

It's all coming back to me now. In my mind it was a swap because it was done quickly, but I DID have to take the written test. It was easy, just studied one of their booklets and took the test. You've got to know the fines too, but I don't recall seeing the $150 ticket I got for parking in the opposite direction on a street. I remember the doctor's appointment (office conveniently located next door the motor vehicles), the receptionist gave me an eye test and I paid $28, apparently in good enough health to drive (I guess being able to see is important). As for alemania all I can say is Deutschland Uber Alles!

victorlglass wrote:

As for alemania all I can say is Deutschland Uber Alles!

Right. Alemania is Germany. ;)
When I came to PR back in 2001 I could exchange my German license. In the process they mixed up my first and last name but that's been fixed in the mean time.

For the rest as far as I know the list on the DTOP site is accurate so with a NY license the written test is obligatory.

Thank you all.  I know that New York is not listed as a fully reciprocal state, but I also know that in Puerto Rico, what is written is not always what is practiced.  I will be  moving in August from Long Island, NY to my condo in  Arroyo,PR and then plan to move to the Rincon area.

"But I kept my Virginia drivers license. When I renewed it I just used a friend's address in VA and she mailed me the license. I figured if I ever got stopped by the cops and they questioned me I would just tell them I'm staying down here temporarily and going back to VA soon."

I thought when you get a new DL that you have to give up and submit the old one.  Please explain how you have 2 now.

I don't have two licenses. My old one expired which rendered it useless. They just mailed my new one to my friend's address and she sent it to me in PR. I didn't need to have my picture taken for the new one because they used the one I had on file. I did the whole renewal over the internet.

If things haven't changed, yes you can and it's a walk in the park the way I remember it. Nowadays you can google the so called DTOP which stands for departamento transportación obrarás públicas and providing it is working (as everything down here) you pick and choose which DTOP you're gonna visit and click on the window and voila you see the famous pr line at the DTOP or CESCO which again stands for centró servicios conductor. Both these govt agencies have branches all over the Island, open late and on Saturdays and are basically the equivalent of your old time DMV in the mainland. You might wanna take a translator along which will also be good as cultural liaison or buddie.

Unfortunately, it depends on who you speak with.  technically, from NY you should just have to take the written.  HOWEVER, clerks and clerks, insist and speak to a supervisor and hope for the best.

I just looked at the link Gary provided and it looks like we won't have to take any tests at all because we live in Illinois with current licenses.  Sounds good to me!

I have downloaded the drivers manual in Spanish.  It will be an interesting experience.  Has anyone taken this test, in English or Spanish?

Good morning, frogrock!  Sorry I can't answer your question but maybe someone will come along and help. 

I was curious as to why you are considering moving to Rincon from Arroyo.  Is there something you prefer in Rincon or dislike about where you are located?  My husband and I are looking to move to Rincon, too, in the near future (at least rent long term).

I am really looking all over Puerto Rico. The place where I live now in Arroyo is very nice, but there are not too many activities. This was OK when I lived here part-time, but not full-time.

Oh, I see!  Good luck with your search, frogrock!

I remember taking the written test a few decades ago and it was simple enough but that's about it.
I also just googled DTOP PR and it gives me the option to open the page using google translate right there on the results page and reading up on the trading in of licenses it shows NY as being as so called fully reciprocal state along with with a handful of other States that I now forget, there's a whole buch of states that are so called not fully reciprocal and only Hawaii, Rhode Island, Washington one more that I also forgot are not reciprocal at all.  I'd be happy to translate anything within reason.
Best of luck
www.dtop.gov.pr/ - Translate this page

Sorry Herbert, but like I posted before, NY is NOT fully "reciprocal". Here's the link to that page again: http://www.dtop.gov.pr/servicios/det_co … p?cn_id=97

Next to licenses from Germany only licenses from Florida, Illinois, Maine, South Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin can be exchanged for a PR license.

Under B you find the list that allows you to get a license here after you pass the theoretical exam and if you have a license form one of  the states listed under C (Hawaii, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and Washington) you'll have to take both the written and the driving exam.

I don't know if I got lucky or if there are new rules, but I was able to exchange my current California Driver's license for a PR Driver's license.  No tests, but the whole process took about 5 hours.  I went to the Carolina DTOP.

You got lucky, I guess. According to the rules they should have let you take a written test.
Oh well, this is Puerto Rico. :D

Just traded my New York State drivers license for a Puerto Rico License.  Did not have to take the test, even though the literature says that New York has partial reciprocity.

If you go to a license service, you also do not have to take the test... you pay a little more but they do everything for you including take the picture...
it's well worth the money!!

The photo deal has changed  They take your photo at the motor vehicle office and imprint the image on to the license.  My total cost was $20 to get the medical certification from a vendor located right outside of the office, and $11 for the license.

Where did you find this service?

Hi, I am getting ready to move to wpr and have to take the practical test. Where can I find study info for the test in English

Also, what do I need for the medical certificate?
Thank you.
Ron

Where do I find a "license service" in the Hatillo/Camuy area?

Arecibo

https://www.foryourpics.com/images/2017/07/17/dtopArecibo.png

bugbunkie wrote:

Hi, I am getting ready to move to wpr and have to take the practical test. Where can I find study info for the test in English

In any Walgreens or CVS

bugbunkie wrote:

Also, what do I need for the medical certificate?

Go to the DTOP office when you're ready to take the test. Close to there or around the corner you'll find a doctor who will take care of that for a fee.

They actually have an app, for your android, and I imagine, Iphone. I am unsure if it is in English though. I had my stateside license expire (forgot) and I had to take the test... if you request the study guide in English, they have to provide it for you. I got a photocopied one, and they asked me to return it, so they can lend it to others in the future.