Driving in SL

Hi

could someone please tell me if I would need to obtain a srilankan driving licence when i move to SL or if I will be able to drive with my British licence....

Also I am thinking of bringing my vehicle with me to SL and I am not sure if it's a good idea... ( i am clueless about taxes and customs regulations)... I'll appreciate your thoughts on this matter

x

You can use a UK license for a short time after which you must apply for your Sri lankan license. Pointless bringing down a new vehicle as the taxes on brand new vehicles are high. One used for over 5 years will reduce the taxes on the import considerably. If you're in Sri lanka for just a short period and still want to get down your vehicle, the best option that comes to mind is getting a carnet permit from the Automobile association out there.

Hi

after your advice I kind of did some research and decided it was less hassle to buy a car down there... well having said that I might just end up taking cabs as I truly haven't come to terms with the notion of actually driving in SL roads.... :S

What is the driving like in SL? I live in Bahrain and it's dire here. I've been to India and the driving terrified me.

What is the best way to explore SL? Is it car, bus, train, driver, taxi, hire car, donkey, goat or horse.

Please advise

Josnuggles wrote:

What is the driving like in SL? I live in Bahrain and it's dire here. I've been to India and the driving terrified me.

What is the best way to explore SL? Is it car, bus, train, driver, taxi, hire car, donkey, goat or horse.

Please advise

Yes, it's more or less like in India.
The best option is renting a car with driver.
Taxis are for short distances.(relatively)
Buses. Not much seeing or admiring the panorama around.
Trains are a good option, but you will end up wasting time.

Recommendations ? Depends. If you are a free spirit enjoy the local life travel like locals. If you are with kids forget everything and just rent a vehicle with driver. If you are a group rent out a vehicle with driver as the total cost will be divided.

mr.eric wrote:
Josnuggles wrote:

Please advise

Yes, it's more or less like in India.
The best option is renting a car with driver.
Taxis are for short distances.(relatively)
Buses. Not much seeing or admiring the panorama around.
Trains are a good option, but you will end up wasting time.

Recommendations ? Depends. If you are a free spirit enjoy the local life travel like locals. If you are with kids forget everything and just rent a vehicle with driver. If you are a group rent out a vehicle with driver as the total cost will be divided.

Hi

Thanks for posting. We go home tomorrow but we took taxi or tuk tuk everywhere

Josnuggles wrote:

Hi

Thanks for posting. We go home tomorrow but we took taxi or tuk tuk everywhere

Traveling from Colombo to Badulla will give you more pleasure!!
Ticket for a seat in a luxury compartment (one way) is Rs. 1000/-

Why would I want a seat in an apartment?