Bali Bank Situation

Dear All,
Am looking to Open a USD bank account here in bali.
I have a Kitas but am not sure which bank to go to.
I need to have bank that does not have too high a cost of maintenance, gives me a debit card that allows internet transactions and also has  e-banking failities.
any suggestions form experience??
Thank you,

BCA has been our bank for over the past 15 years, both for our IDR and US accounts.  There are other banks in Bali which surely are just as good...but when you come right down to it, banking relations are personal, and after years of banking with BCA, it's that personal touch and personal attention that is just as important as their competitive fees.

As for internet or "e-banking" I wish you good luck, and if you find a bank here that will allow that for a modest client like us, please let us know.

BCA is the big one, and they do everything you ask.
One slight down side, the ATMs get really busy, so make sure you never need to use one at peak times.

"and they do everything you ask."

Do you have internet banking with BCA?

Oh ok... Thanks Ubudian.... Sounds good will probably try BCA since it has good relation with its customers. With regards to internet banking or buying things online.. Is it not possible with BCA? I mean for example if i needed to buy an airline ticket online, would the card they provide be used for online transaction? It doesn't have to be credit, even a visa debit would do...
Fred thanks for the tip on the atms being busy. Will try to use them as less as possible.

Is BCA still the best choice if i went abroad and have to withdraw money from atms and such?

BCA is the best option if you want simpe banking although the queues can long inside.
You need your kitas ans passport to open an account and make sure your signature is the sa.e otherwise they will refuse you.

Ubudian wrote:

"and they do everything you ask."

Do you have internet banking with BCA?

I sure do.
Quick, easy and, when you want to make a transaction, secure because of the key.
They also have a sweet Android app.

That's good news as we tried to get internet account access a while ago were told we couldn't.

We'll have to check again!

Thanks Fred!

I've had mine for a while, maybe two or three years.
It works great.
You get a little electronic key that gives yo codes when you make transactions. They don't go through without the correct code.
Things like balance checks are username and password only.

I still pay most bills by ATM, but I have paid using internet banking.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3880/14860484866_7f21826a36.jpg

Hi

Another option you might try Mandiri Bank. Either BCA or Mandiri both of them are reputable and stable bank in Indonesia. I am using both for my account complete with internet access n mobile banking. These two banks are flexible and familiar for most transaction in Indonesia.

I live in Bali since end 2012. I have IDR bank account with Mandiri I do most of my financial business with Mandiri internet banking. No problem.

Dear all,
Thank you for all the help...
Any idea on CIMB ?

Dear all,

Thank you to everyone who has given me their information. I have now opened a bank account in BII with internet banking service.

Thank you all for all the info..

Best regard to all,

Nima.

I dont know about bali but in jkt most of my expat friends use HSBC as u can withdraw usd and idr from atm. I also use hsbc much more convinience when u need to withdraw small amounts of usd for purchases tht requires usd as currency like airline ticket etc

kardus wrote:

I dont know about bali but in jkt most of my expat friends use HSBC as u can withdraw usd and idr from atm. I also use hsbc much more convinience when u need to withdraw small amounts of usd for purchases tht requires usd as currency like airline ticket etc

I have had no problems with HSBC, but why would I want to draw US$?
Anything priced in US Dollars in Indonesia is a rip of job, and any internal transactions using anything but Rupiah are illegal in Indonesia.
I see the odd Dollar ATM, and wonder why anyone would bother being daft.

nimawongchusherpa wrote:

Dear all,

Thank you to everyone who has given me their information..

You're welcome.

"I see the odd Dollar ATM, and wonder why anyone would bother being daft."

About the only situation I can think of where this service makes some sense is prior to heading out of country.

I wonder how the HSBC exchange rare compares to what the rate would be by simply buying the green backs from a money changer.

Can anyone clarify for me the process for foreigners wanting to open up local bank accounts in Bali?

We are looking to be there next year for 12 months whilst our kids are studying at school. Thinking it might be easier having a local bank account in local currency.

Can someone please let me know if foreigners can actually open bank accounts on standard social or KITAS visas when in Bali, or should we be looking to open up something with an international bank like HSBC before we get there?

Thanks

If you did a survey of expats on Bali, you'd find that the highest percentage of them either have their IDR accounts at BCA, or BII.

They are both excellent, and it's really a matter of “6 of one, half dozen of the other.”

With a KITAS visa it's no problem for a foreigner to open a bank account in Indonesia. 

As for opening a bank account without a KITAS, read the discussion here:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=432372

Enjoy your year on Bali!

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

BCA is the best if you are living in Bali. No need to consider others.

HSBC is good for expats because they can easily move money internationally. HSBC are known to have good exchange rates but poor interest rates. In November 2014 HSBC in the UK stopped offering foreign currency accounts to their customers and are doing some restructuring. However, in the middle of 2015 you'll be able to open foreign currency accounts in HSBC (UK) including US Dollar accounts. If you have a Premier account with HSBC then they can waive international transfer charges between their own banks.

CIMB is a Malaysian bank and I wouldn't recommend them. Maybank and Ambank are both much better.