Tax Questions..Jobs

:) Hello there. My husband and I are moving to Bali in July 2015 and are preparing ourselves now..(Ages 55 and 58...).
Some questions we have
1/ If you leave Australia and intend to stay in Bali do we pay capital gains tax on properties we sell in Australia?
2/ Does anyone have a good accountant in Australia that deals in tax, expat finances etc?
3/ If you live in Bali can you work at all? eg. In a dress shop etc?
4/ If you rent/lease in Bali do you have to have a Balinese person work for you in some capacity?
5/ Is it easy to get a teaching job in Bali? eg At Green School? Anyone have contacts? Chris is a school teacher...(Primary or English and Tesol)
6/ Any guesses on how much it costs to live comfortably in Bali per year?  Eg. Doing yoga, gym, dinner out occasionally, a weekly massage etc...just living there and having a nice lifestyle? eg rent per week plus expenses?
7/ An average rent on a house, unit with plunge pool, open living in and around Seminyak. 40 minute radius?
8/ Is it easy to buy mopeds, jeeps , boats in Bali at a good price?

We realise  this is a lot of questions thus far but we are getting organized now and are starting a Bali folder of information....Hope you can help..

Gayle and Chris QLD Australia

thaibiscus wrote:

:) Hello there. My husband and I are moving to Bali in July 2015 and are preparing ourselves now..(Ages 55 and 58...).
Some questions we have
1/ If you leave Australia and intend to stay in Bali do we pay capital gains tax on properties we sell in Australia?
2/ Does anyone have a good accountant in Australia that deals in tax, expat finances etc?
3/ If you live in Bali can you work at all? eg. In a dress shop etc?
4/ If you rent/lease in Bali do you have to have a Balinese person work for you in some capacity?
5/ Is it easy to get a teaching job in Bali? eg At Green School? Anyone have contacts? Chris is a school teacher...(Primary or English and Tesol)
6/ Any guesses on how much it costs to live comfortably in Bali per year?  Eg. Doing yoga, gym, dinner out occasionally, a weekly massage etc...just living there and having a nice lifestyle? eg rent per week plus expenses?
7/ An average rent on a house, unit with plunge pool, open living in and around Seminyak. 40 minute radius?
8/ Is it easy to buy mopeds, jeeps , boats in Bali at a good price?

We realise  this is a lot of questions thus far but we are getting organized now and are starting a Bali folder of information....Hope you can help..

Gayle and Chris QLD Australia

Hi Gayle and Cris,

To give a short reply, until July 2015 a lot of things here still can change if you ask about visa issues, tax and costs of living etc. So basically one can only give ideas about it as it is as of today.

I do not have any idea about tax/consultants in Australia but guess that someone from Australia residing in Bali will help you sooner or later.

So far I can only reply to your question 3) + 5)

You can not take up any work legally without having a work permit. If you reside on one of the available visa's only and you work, you take the risk to be jailed up to 5 years and paying a penalty of up to 500.000.000 Mio Rp (today about US$ 45.000) if get caught.

You have the option to apply for a retirement visa (KITAS Lansia) since you fulfill the required min age (as from 55 years) but bear in mind that even if you hold that kind of visa there is no way that allows you to work.

Cheers,
Tom

@thaibiscus

You will have to pay capital gains tax. Have you considered renting out your house. Or consider a lease agreement whereby the lessee pays half or the full lease amount up front. This can be for a 6 month or 12 month lease. Discuss with a real estate agent or a Google search may come up with the information.

I use Marzol Holloway and Associates in Robina. Check them online.They have been doing my taxes now for over 20 years.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Much appreciated.