Guayaquil Airport

This will be our first trip to Ecuador and our first international flight ever. We will be arriving at Guayaquil Airport. What should we expect when we arrive? We will be bringing carry on luggage only. I read something about getting stamped. Could someone please let me know what the process is when arriving at the airport? It would certainly make it less stress full is we know what to do. Thank you!

You will enter a line, usually pretty long, to go through Customs after you exit the plane. They will be able to speak to you in English. Although the lines are long, they are pretty efficient in handling the traffic. Have your passport ready when you approach the agent. This is where you will get the stamp you asked about. The agent will stamp your passport, making it legal for you to be visiting the country.
Remember.... SMILE... we are guests. Try not to get aggrivated if some of the process seems to not go as fast as in the US. You will be in Ecuador, which has it's own standard of time.... relaxed!
Enjoy your trip.
Neil

where are you going to stay??

Thank you Neil for the information. I will smile. I will be so happy to be on land after flying the entire day! My sister and friend will be arriving before us and will pick us up in a rental car. I will be ready for a cocktail, even though it will be 11:30 Ecuador time!

I just noticed you are from Minnesota. My sister's friend will be flying from Minneapolis.

At the Courtyard by Marriott. We are going to be traveling up the coast ending up in Bahia de Caraquez as our final stop. Then heading by to Guayaquil to head home.

I too am from Minneapolis. Will your sisters friend be flying AA?I'm not overly fond of them, but, they have the only connecting flight out of MSP International. I'm only about 15 minutes from the airport. Fly to Miami, 4 hour layover, and then straight to Guayaquil. Pretty sweet. Is her friend from MPLS.? I'm flying out on June 1st.
Have a great trip!
Neil

Yes, he is from Minneapolis and they are flying AA. Better itineray than what we are flying. We are using our United Airline miles and taking the long route to Ecuador. San Francisco to Los Angeles to Panama City to Guayaquil. Long day! Won't arrive in Guayaquil until 11:30 PM.

One more question? Is it the same procedure returning to Guayaquil airport to fly home? We go through Customs? How much time before our flight do you suggest we allow? We are flying out a 6:00 AM to return home.

If you need something feel free to ask me I live in Guayaquil

cccoger wrote:

One more question? Is it the same procedure returning to Guayaquil airport to fly home? We go through Customs? How much time before our flight do you suggest we allow? We are flying out a 6:00 AM to return home.

I don't know about Ecuador (yet), so I'll leave it to those who do to answer the question about how much time. A 6am flight time could mean an awfully early trip to the airport -- my condolences.

You'll do the bit of going through immigration and customs at the US end of the trip. When you get of the lane in LA or wherever, just follow the signs (and the crowd) to immigration. There will be signs separating the crowd into US passport holders and Others. Get in the US line(s), obviously.

When you get to the front the officer will ask you a few questions (e.g., why did you go to Ecuador? where did you go while there? etc), then stamp your passport, usually next to the Ecuador stamp.

While you were on the plane, you will have been handed a customs declaration form -- a postcard-sized form asking your name, address, etc, and what you are bringing back. It's pretty self-explanatory. Assuming you have nothing major -- just souvenirs and gifts for friends -- you just check the boxes. I forget what the allowed value of items is, but it's large enough that unless you're wealthy or extremely generous in our gift-giving you're unlikely to exceed it.

After getting through immigration you get your bags and then follow the signs to the customs area. There will be two desks, marked 'Nothing to Declare' and 'Items to Declare' (or something like that). Go to the appropriate desk. Assuming it's 'Nothing to Declare', you hand them the card and they wave you through. I have NEVER had them check my bags, or seen anyone else's bags checked in that line -- but there's always a first time.

And that's it.

Bob

Hi danygirl8903  - I am coming to Guayaquil soon and I have a personal question (girl thing) - can you email me at [email protected]    Thanks Sing

Oops, double post.... never mind

Hi cccoger, you have been given all correct answers by the other kind members. May I add that as you leave Ecuador on your way back to the States you will need to arrive at the airport three hours before the time your flight takes off. You will go to the international departure section of the airport (up stairs) where United will post their logo on the screens for people to do the check in. You will go to them, present your boarding pass along with your passport and you will check in any bigger size luggage not falling under the category and size of a carry on suitcase.
Once your passport is checked, you will be given a gate number and a time to board. At that point you need to go through imigrations to get an exit stamp on your passport. After that you will head to the assigned gate and wait to be called in to board the plane, usually up to 40 min prior to launching. Good luck!

Hey danygirl8903
I'll be traveling to Ecuador..I want to know about the weather..I hear it gets a little cool at night...Should I bring a light jacket or sweater..thanks

Muñeca0820
Today 19:15:57
Hey danygirl8903
I'll be traveling to Ecuador..I want to know about the weather..I hear it gets a little cool at night...Should I bring a light jacket or sweater..thanks

Depends on where you are; it might be in the 40s (F) in the mountains, and believe it or not, in the 50s on the coast. However the inner coastal regions can be hot and very humid, Guayaquil for example.

Best bet is to plan layering because it can also be in the 80s during the day. For pants, I almost exclusively wear jeans. Shorts are not common here. For shirts, I prefer pullovers with a few short and a few long sleeves all made from stay dry fabric. A sweater is handy or maybe a fleece shell that zips up the front. Fleece is very popular here. Then peel or add as needed. If you are planning to be above 8,000 feet, bring a light pair of gloves and a light scarf and maybe a pair of wool socks.

It can be cold in the house at night (no central heating/cooling system) so have something warm you can sleep in should it get cold. Maybe add fleece pants: the type you would lounge around the house in, but not real heavy fleece.  You  can also use one of your long-sleeve pullovers for the top. Right now, it is about 60 degrees in my house in Loja and I am sleeping with two blankets. But, in the day, I sometimes only need a short-sleeve shirt.

Rain is common, so a nice light waterproof shell will round out wardrobe. You might also want to bring a small backpack. I usually carry toilet paper and wipes, the waterproof shell, a BPA free water bottle, binoculars, a Steripen for purifying water, and a simple return to starting point GPS  (last three only when exploring), and the backpack makes this handy. At the very least, carry some toilet paper with you no matter where you are and a water bottle is also a worthwhile addition.

Okay, I can be a little over prepared, but I have used every one of those things at one time or the other and been very glad I had them. Especially the toilet paper.

Thank You so much for the detailed information..I mostly will be staying Guayaquil (Centro de la Ciudad)..
I'll be there for two weeks...Do you know about customs really going thru your bags...Or Immigration inspectors asking questions...This will be my second time there..The first time was 14 Years ago..
I remember them asking me where I was Staying and what was the purpose of my trip and how long I was going to be there...
Thanks again 😉

Hi Muneca0820,

Guayaquil usually have a tropical (warm and humid) weather. However, we are in the "cold" season so you may need a light sweatshirt for early morning and late night hours, thats all. It doesnt rain as much neither.
Yes, customs will ask you the reason for your trip, your luggage will be scanned checked and there are also random requests to open your personal bags too. However check ups are not invasive as they are in the States.

To Loving Ecuador...
Thank You very much for your response...The information is very well appreciated..

Muneca, don't take the questions personally. As an Americans living in Quito, I get asked the same questions by US immigration in Miami.

Ok thanks...I don't take questions personally.. I know those procedure questions that they must ask...Do you know the forms I have to fill out to go through Immigration and Customs?

Thanks again 😊

I'm fortunate, I didn't have to open up my bags or anything but I also didn't have check-in luggage.

ever time I have flown down to ecuador they pass out the forms on the plane & they will explain how to fill them out during the flight,, usually when the flight is getting near the airport.. :blink:

If you are a senior citizen or coming with children you can get into the line for diplomats at the Guayaquil airport.  It's faster but you still have to wait for your bags...   Ecuadorian customs does not examine every little thing you bring in.  The last time we flew in (November 2013) we put our bags on the belt and then picked them up on the other end.  If, however, they see that you are bringing in - for example - more whiskey than allowed, then they  get a little testy...

quito0819 wrote:

Ecuadorian customs does not examine every little thing you bring in.  The last time we flew in (November 2013) we put our bags on the belt and then picked them up on the other end.  If, however, they see that you are bringing in - for example - more whiskey than allowed, then they  get a little testy...

I had a similar experience with customs in Quito in January. They ran my bags through a machine (I presume x-rays or some other sort of scanner) and I picked them up on the other side. Maybe had they seen several liter-sized bottles inside, they might have asked me to open the bags for further inspection.