Looking for villas in remote areas of Bali

Hi all

Does anyone know of any villas in the less populated areas of Bali?  We're looking for about 10 of them for a family holiday next year.  The more remote, the better!  Just want to chill out.

thanks, Leanne

Ten villas for a family holiday?  How many folks in your family that will coming to Bali?

The vast majority of villa accommodations to be found in the more remote areas of Bali are not at the level of ten separate structures, (villas), and that's simply because keeping that many villas occupied with regularity enough to be profitable simply isn't feasible.  Moreover, in the more remote areas of Bali, maintaining the needed restaurant facilities needed to feed as many people as ten villas would hold, also doesn't make sense.

You've got quite a challenge ahead of you unless of course by remote, you could be a bit more flexible.

Try Lombok instead.
Small hotels on Sengigi beach are seriously relaxing.

mas fred wrote:

Try Lombok instead.

Thanks, will try Sengigi beach.

leannehayter wrote:
mas fred wrote:

Try Lombok instead.

Thanks, will try Sengigi beach.

I'm trying to upload a video at the moment but, I can assure you, there are lots of small hotels on quiet, unspoilt beaches where relaxation is the order of the day.

Just don't expect any shopping, except buying pearls on the beach, all at silly low prices.

That hotel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtCeGsYL … Z0TygaZFqQ

(Moderated: please post your offer in the housing section)

villagabah.combah.comknow of a wonderful place in the middle of ricefields which is very remote, but yet only 10 min from Tanah Lot and 20 min from Seminyak. The villa is called Villa Gabah and can be viewed at: villagabah.com. It can accommodate 10-12 people.

If you want to know more about this villa or book you can contact Alex at [email protected]

Ah yes, and the wonderful Balinese karma for villas in the middle of rice fields is called rats.

Personally I look forward to the day when all those horrific villas built within the precious sawah of Bali are burned to the ground.  And that day is coming.

leannehayter wrote:

Hi all

Does anyone know of any villas in the less populated areas of Bali?  We're looking for about 10 of them for a family holiday next year.  The more remote, the better!  Just want to chill out.

thanks, Leanne

And here is another one looking for the same, only difference is that I'm a single old fart about to travel outside Aus for the first time, and want to get away from all the tourists, and find a family that wants to show me the real Balinese lifestyle including accommodation and typical meals.
I want experience the culture as it was twenty or fifty years or more ago, and I'm prepared to pay for the privilege, I don't want flash, I want the real deal, ya can jam all that luxury westernized pampered lifestyle, I don't need it or want it.
If it means helping with the work all the better, anyone got any contacts?

A good home stay would be perfect for you. 

You can start by Googling home stays Bali and you might also consider posting on the Bali Travel Forum (most popular with Australians) and the Lonely Planet Forum where folks might recommend specific home stays they've used and thus can speak from personal experience.

No two home stay environments are alike, as these involve living with a Balinese family in their compound...and no two compounds are alike.   

If you want, I can suggest some home stays in the area where I live (outside of Ubud), and for that you can send me a private message if you'd like.

In the meanwhile you might start getting a bit conversant in Bahasa Indonesia (you won't need Bahasa Bali) as this will be helpful.

Good on you for wanting to enjoy Bali the "right" way.

Cheers, Roy

Ubudian wrote:

A good home stay would be perfect for you. 

You can start by Googling home stays Bali and you might also consider posting on the Bali Travel Forum (most popular with Australians) and the Lonely Planet Forum where folks might recommend specific home stays they've used and thus can speak from personal experience.

No two home stay environments are alike, as these involve living with a Balinese family in their compound...and no two compounds are alike.   

If you want, I can suggest some home stays in the area where I live (outside of Ubud), and for that you can send me a private message if you'd like.

In the meanwhile you might start getting a bit conversant in Bahasa Indonesia (you won't need Bahasa Bali) as this will be helpful.

Good on you for wanting to enjoy Bali the "right" way.

Cheers, Roy

Thanks for the P.M. Roy I'm onto it.

A good villa seems like it's in the middle of nowhere even if it's near all the tourist crap.  Say what you will about the garbage and dogs, but they really know how to do private villas.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

A good villa seems like it's in the middle of nowhere even if it's near all the tourist crap.  Say what you will about the garbage and dogs, but they really know how to do private villas.

G'day Hailey.
I don't understand just what you are saying here, can you be more specific? as I have never been there I don't know anything about garbage or dogs, is there an over supply of both? if so I'm just as keen to keep clear of them including the tourists.

The Seminyak Suite Private Villa: cool as Ice!

Jl. Raya Seminyak no.17, Kuta, Bali 80361, Indonesia
+62 361 738738

When I first moved to Bali almost 16 years ago, Seminyak was still about 80% farm land, or sawah...rice fields.  Today there isn't one are of farm land or sawah left in Seminyak.  Greed and development took precedent, just as it previously had in Kuta, Legian, Kerobokan, and other areas of southern Bali. 

While those radical changes to southern Bali are irreversible, many Balinese living outside southern Bali have taken notice, and they are not willing to see their ancestral lands succumb to concrete, paved roads, and endless development. 

This photo, linked below, is just one of many overt expressions by Balinese outside of southern Bali which reflects current thinking, and this thinking is growing. 

http://www.homeinbali.com/forum/uploads … 867409.jpg

Representative of this new wave of thinking is the foundation of this organization in Bali, called Sawah Bali:

http://www.sawahbali.org/

Or their Facebook page:  www.facebook.com/yayasansawahbali

The days of remote villas located in prime and currently undeveloped lands on Bali are numbered.  And, as leases come up for renewal in future years, many of them built on lands where they should have never have been built in the first place, will not be renewed, and the structures removed.

Things are changing here, and in IMHO, for the better.

creative6 wrote:

The Seminyak Suite Private Villa: cool as Ice!

Jl. Raya Seminyak no.17, Kuta, Bali 80361, Indonesia
+62 361 738738

This is the sort of place that I will advoid at any cost, staying here would be just as bad as putting up with barking dogs tourists and rubbish, that's the way I feel anyway horses for courses.
I loathe decadence.

Ubudian wrote:

When I first moved to Bali almost 16 years ago, Seminyak was still about 80% farm land, or sawah...rice fields.  Today there isn't one are of farm land or sawah left in Seminyak.  Greed and development took precedent, just as it previously had in Kuta, Legian, Kerobokan, and other areas of southern Bali. 

While those radical changes to southern Bali are irreversible, many Balinese living outside southern Bali have taken notice, and they are not willing to see their ancestral lands succumb to concrete, paved roads, and endless development. 

This photo, linked below, is just one of many overt expressions by Balinese outside of southern Bali which reflects current thinking, and this thinking is growing. 

http://www.homeinbali.com/forum/uploads … 867409.jpg

Representative of this new wave of thinking is the foundation of this organization in Bali, called Sawah Bali:

http://www.sawahbali.org/

Or their Facebook page:  www.facebook.com/yayasansawahbali

The days of remote villas located in prime and currently undeveloped lands on Bali are numbered.  And, as leases come up for renewal in future years, many of them built on lands where they should have never have been built in the first place, will not be renewed, and the structures removed.

Things are changing here, and in IMHO, for the better.

There is more to life than money, those that believe different will come to realise money will not grow food.
Land, water and timber combined with a basic lifestyle will last forever.
Greed has been killing since man first picked up a stick to use as a weapon.
P.S. I haven't heard from Wayan yet.

Thunda wrote:

G'day Hailey.
I don't understand just what you are saying here, can you be more specific? as I have never been there I don't know anything about garbage or dogs, is there an over supply of both? if so I'm just as keen to keep clear of them including the tourists.

Garbage
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=351319

Dogs
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=371285

Thanks Hailey.
I never even give the dog problem a thought, or even the rubbish.
As I have only seen Bali through a T.V. (my only luxury) I imagined Bali rural areas as a pristine tropical paradise without a mob of mongrel dogs wondering around, but I guess they would avoid showing anything negative about the place.
I live in a remote and very isolated part of Tasmania and if I hear a dog barking it means it's on my turf and so go and eliminate it.
If it means sleepless nights over there with dogs baking all the time I don't think I'll bother, and I always thought all Bali people were the cleanest and tidiest of all people, from what I read in your posts I'm truly shocked.
I don't know if I want to go there now.

"I don't know if I want to go there now."

I sense that famed Tasmanian humor coming through!   :D

G'day Ubudian.
I hope the weather is a bit better up your neck of the woods, it's a shocker down here at the moment.
Yer I do have a sense of humor but.... From what I'm hearing I am genuinely surprised, if the soup hounds and rubbish story are accurate.
It shines a bad light on the area, please tell me it's not so, as I have come to trust what you say here.
If it is the case it's blown my image of rural Bali to hell.

You need to come to Bali and see for yourself.  It's a bit of a haul from Tasmania, but not too bad.   

For me, and I live in a semi-remote, but certainly traditional village, dogs and garbage have never been an issue. 

One needs to consider the source when reading exaggerations about Bali.  For some, the very fact that they can't live here is motive enough to disparage the place.   ;)

Cheers, Roy

Well, on the strength of that I 'll have a yarn with the travel agent when I go into town, that is when the track dries out a bit.
I still haven't heard from old mate yet.

Im sorry if this thread has been hijacked but as its strayed to this subject I would like to tell you about a program on SBS called Date Line I just caught by accident.
It was about the pure greed on the part of developers that is ruining Balis culture and environment, the mountain of rubbish and pollution that all this development is producing, its shameful.
As a lot of the tourists there are Aussies it should be mandatory that they see this mountain that they have contributed to, the developers should be made to extract the methane gas it produces to provide cooking gas for the poorer population.
And made to recycle every bit of rubbish, and a tax imposed on all packaging imported into Bali the recycling would employ hundreds and aid to the islands economy. 
But that wont happen as I believe the developers live in Jakarta, and any expenses like this would hurt their bottom line and while the locals building these joints live in squaller
There is an Aussie trying to make a change but I dont think he has a chance unless the rest of the island wants their culture and land back.
I have included a link that I strongly suggest a look at, this is an Australian invention www.uniflowpower.com (that someone in Indonesia tried to steal) this is a world changer and the sooner it gets into production the better for the entire world its Back to the Future with steam power it produces: electricity, mechanical power, heating, hot water, steam for cooking, water purification, it can also be used to shred plastic to be converted into bio diesel or petrol, it runs on any combustible fuel like coconut husk, rice husk, wood or cooking oil and the list goes on.
The used cooking oil these places dispose can easy be converted to bio diesel, this is what I do now to power tractors and generators.
Wake up Bali,your being ripped off.

Hello all

I think we are straying away from the inital thread right? Could we please come back to the initial question please?

: Does anyone know any remote areas for a family holiday?!?! Please state some areas

Regards
Kenjee

Thunda wrote:

If it means sleepless nights over there with dogs baking all the time I don't think I'll bother, and I always thought all Bali people were the cleanest and tidiest of all people, from what I read in your posts I'm truly shocked.

I think all of my posts have been pro-Bali.

I never even noticed any dogs when I was there.  They certainly never woke me up...when I was in a remote villa (now it is on-topic).

Kenjee, can I make a suggestion?

Rather than worrying about a good discussion staying on topic, as you see "staying on topic" how about you spend your time in a more useful manner...like nuking this entire thread:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=389646

As this is the Indonesian board, I'm sure you'll agree that particular post brings "off topic" to a whole new level.   :o

Off-topic is a relative concept....which is what I thought to myself while I was at a remote villa on Bali.

As I said on my last reply, Im sorry if the thread has been somewhat hijacked, I certainly never intended to stray off the subject but I think its still relevant to a discussion on remote area accommodation.
I replied to a post that aroused my concern for a comfortable holiday experience, if anyone is so upset with how it has gone maybe Roy can move the thread, that way they both can continue, if certain people want to hide the facts then its not very democratic, and I cant help but notice some objections to the way its strayed off course has been made by those that havent made an earlier comment on this thread anyway.
I never expected any further replies to my last, as for a clean and quiet home stay with a family I still have not been able to get any information or been able to make contact with anyone, so I cant see any point in pursuing it anymore, unlike most people I dont spend hard earned money on anything I dont have the facts on, and Im not about to learn the hard way.
And I also believe its been a much needed education and very relevant, its just that some people wont want Bali to be seen in a negative light for their own reasons.
Its been good up to now, thanks but no thanks; Ill look at South America I think.
P.S. If anyone would like to see Tassy its as good here in the spring as anywhere else on the planet.
Hooroo all.

No problem, I'll let Professor, Doctor Wayan know not to bother wasting his time answering your e-mail.

Seems to me that a logical person would at least pay a visit themselves before making any firm decisions, but then again, I just can't help my self when it comes to common sense. 

I hope South American works better for you.

Ubudian wrote:

No problem, I'll let Professor, Doctor Wayan know not to bother wasting his time answering your e-mail.

Seems to me that a logical person would at least pay a visit themselves before making any firm decisions, but then again, I just can't help my self when it comes to common sense. 

I hope South American works better for you.

Thanks, Dr Wayan had plenty of time to respond, I guess you took it personally as it was not directed at you, it kind of makes me think it should have been.
As I said I'm smart enough to get the facts before wasting time an money on anything, that's real logic, as far as common sense goes an anal retentive that treat forums as their own can't have much.
Roy if you have so much time on your hands to put your two bobs worth in on every thread on this forum you need to get a life.
No need to reply as I wont be back here again, a one voice forum is a bit typical of a bored Yank

Actually Dr. Wayan was very busy with a cremation ceremony and a group of college visitors from the states.

Thanks for all the rest of your very kind comments.   :dumbom:

That got weird pretty fast.

What can I say Hailey?  Ozzies from Tass are unique and generally of poor attitude when it comes to us Yanks.

That's rather odd IMHO because if it weren't for us Yanks who were "over there, over paid and over sexed" they'd all be speaking Japanese these days.  :D

Why can't people be more grateful for things we did a lifetime ago?

Maybe it's just a case of not knowing "which side of one's bread is buttered."   ;)

I am pretty certain my grandfather helped the yanks out by shooting down a few Japanese planes during the 40's.

Sounds to me Luke, that your grand dad was a good man, and a good shot too!   :top:

I am sure he was although he never said. But he did his bit for king and country and then went back to a normal life if there is such a thing after fighting in a war.