Moving to chicago - help

Hi !

I'm a french student doing a six months internship in Chicago, i arrived a couple days ago to Chicago but i'm struggling to find a furnished room to rent or roomates, i searched through craigslist, easyroomates but didn't get as many as answers as i expected, could somebody help me finding out why (is it because i'm only 20 or because i'm only staying for a short term period (6 months) when most of the lease are for a year ?), if somebody has a solution, i would be grateful !

Hi joannegtr,

Welcome to expat-blog!

I suggest you to post an advert in the Shared accommodation in Chicago section, with details of what you are looking for. This might be helpful. :)

Thank you,

David.

joannegtr wrote:

Hi !

I'm a french student doing a six months internship in Chicago, i arrived a couple days ago to Chicago but i'm struggling to find a furnished room to rent or roomates, i searched through craigslist, easyroomates but didn't get as many as answers as i expected, could somebody help me finding out why (is it because i'm only 20 or because i'm only staying for a short term period (6 months) when most of the lease are for a year ?), if somebody has a solution, i would be grateful !

It might be due to your budget.  Chicago is an expensive city (it's my home town and I, also, have been checking online for rentals).  How much do you have to spend and in which part of the city do you wish to reside?

I finally found something and it was indeed because of my budget, thanks David and Alliecat for your help !

Hi! I`m from Venezuela and I`m considering to live in Chicago for 6 months, I want to do an English Business Course, Please, I need your help me to know how expensive is Chicago?

alda876 wrote:

Hi! I`m from Venezuela and I`m considering to live in Chicago for 6 months, I want to do an English Business Course, Please, I need your help me to know how expensive is Chicago?

For cost of living www.numbeo.com

alda876 wrote:

Very

alda876 wrote:

Chicago is a very expensive city to live in. Especially in the loop where housing/rent can equal or exceed that of NYC and LA. The suburbs are more affordable.

Send me a PM. I am originally from Chicago.

Did you arrive to Chicago? I'm Venezuelan as well. If you need help you can PM me! ;)

I lived in NYC for long time, trust me. Rent in Chicago is a lot cheaper than NYC; A "studio" in NYC rent is the price of a 1 Bd/1Bth in Chicago. I live in Chicago

Big cities like Chicago, New York and Los Angles have very different neighborhoods with very different prices.  Saying that one is more expensive than another ignores a lot of factors.  Rent in Washington Heights is probably cheaper than in Bel Air, but that's just misleading.

That is absolutely true! However, I'll give a better insight:
Rivergate in 34th st & 1st Ave you will pay $5,691.00  for 2 BD/1BTH
Fitness Center
24-HR Door Attendant
On-Site Laundry
Garage
Pet Friendly
Online Services

Apartment in the Loop 2BD/2BTH can go from $3,695- $4,295.

24-hour concierge/doorman
indoor/outdoor private dog run and spa
tech bar
business center
bike storage
valet dry-cleaning
private fitness center
river lounge
indoor pool and spa
bi-level sundeck with pool access
lounge seating
fire pit
private cabanas
and outdoor kitchens with grills.

I lived in Rivergate NY, and trust me it was not worthy the money. I actually live in Chicago, and prices are considerably cheaper. I also Lived in Queens in a "Studio", and in a Chicago suburb in a full 2BD/ 2BTH apartement for the same price.

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]