Planning a move to UK

Hey everyone , my name is Patric. I'm an Indian ,now working in Dubai at present, planning to come for Masters in Electrical and Electronics to the UK next year. I heard UK is the best for education.
The students can do part time jobs when studying and the country is simply amazing, you have friendly people, great places to visit . I've heard the cost of living is quite high. Other than all these,  why is it so tough for a foreigner to get a job there ?  Isn't there a very little possibility for trying to get a job. If there is a chance, someone please let me know.

Your feedback would be really helpful.
Thanks! :)

patricbabu wrote:

Hey everyone , my name is Patric. I'm an Indian ,now working in Dubai at present, planning to come for Masters in Electrical and Electronics to the UK next year. I heard UK is the best for education.
The students can do part time jobs when studying and the country is simply amazing, you have friendly people, great places to visit . I've heard the cost of living is quite high. Other than all these,  why is it so tough for a foreigner to get a job there ?  Isn't there a very little possibility for trying to get a job. If there is a chance, someone please let me know.

Your feedback would be really helpful.
Thanks! :)

It is tough to get a job there unless you come from an EU country. No company wants to go through all the paperwork and expense of hiring a foreigner when there are many EU people out of work and looking for employment in other EU countries.

You may be better looking at Australia or NZ. Either country has good learning institutions and if on a student visa you can work part time.

Isn't there a possibility to "TRY" for a job ?
Who knows, I may have the skill a few companies may need ?
From the way you say it, can't I even attend an interview there?
And NO, I don't prefer Australia Or New Zealand. Australia has racism problems, would you help me  out with that ?
and New Zealand doesn't have the course I'm looking out for

Then apply for a UK student visa. Then approach companies regarding work. You can still only work part time in UK on a student visa.

I did get info about part time jobs. I will be applying for Visa after my IELTS. I just hope I can get a job in UK, if I don't its not my time there.
Sorry for being rude man, didn't like the way you spoke!
Thanks anyways!

Patrik,

Welcome to the EB.

I have read your remarks and you are right. We I mean Indo and Pak are basically same nation (or at least we were one 60 years ago) we would like to study and work in England because of its "snob" value.

I did that too, and was able to come out of the UK unharmed. Many of my friends and relatives proceeded to the US and Canada ( many were initially in the UK) and all of them are doing extremely well!

I'm sure you'll be able to find some part time work Patric but I'd look into studying in the USA as well and weigh up the pros and cons of both

Why US ?

Patric,

Why US?

1) US is 38 times larger than UK and there are tremendous resources there.

2) More than 70 % of the US population is originally "Foreign" therefore the normal American has mentally accepted the concept that residents of other countries will come to the US and would like to settle there permanently. The case is the other way round in the UK.

3) Tuition Fees for international students is typically half of what it is in the UK.

4) Students working part time is a normal culture in US where there is a limit and also difficulty of getting a part time job in the UK.

5) UK politics is full of skin head groups fighting against"coloured immigration" and muslims. I am not aware of such organised hatred in the US.

6) When some one moves to the US on a H1 or student visa, there is a natural path to acquire green card PR and then a nationality. In the UK one has to either get married to a UK national or the other options are very time consuming.

7) US is a multi lingual and multi cultural place, in the UK you will only be accepted and respected if you try to become like a GORA.

8) Weather in the US is generally good for 9 months and cold for 3 months, UK is the other way round.

The list goes on and on....

ARE YOU ALL CRAZY????
I work as a manager in Sainsburys and i would go as far as saying that at one time all Our London stores have around 20% of Our workers on student visas. 18 hours is the Maximum a student visa can work as long as you can prove Your right to work in the UK we treat you the same as somone from the EU or UK.

When we recruit it is done online like most business and Your name comes to the store for an interview based on Your test results and if you are the best for the job. The first anyone would know what country Your from is question one of the face to face interview can you provide evedence you have the right to work in the UK.

Not sure where others get their facts but 100% i employ student visas as having 5 18 hour colleagues is better then 2 39 hour colleagues suits the business better

The U.K is home to many students from around the world and we are very welcoming as you pay into the U.K With tax and costs.

Supermarkets get regulated more the small business and if we are found to have illegal workers there is a fine of £20,000 for each illegal you imploy so maybe a small business would look at this in a negative way but as long as you check the persons papers this isnt even an issue

Hope this helps please dont look at the UK in the same way as some of these discriminating EU countries.They live in the past

riazcdki wrote:

Patric,

Why US?

1) US is 30 times larger than UK and there are tremendous resources there.

2) More than 70 % of the US population is originally "Foreign" therefore the normal American has mentally accepted the concept that residents of other countries will come to the US and would like to settle there permanently. The case is the other way round in the UK.

3) Tuition Fees for international students is typically half of what it is in the UK.

4) Students working part time is a normal culture in US where there is a limit and also difficulty of getting a part time job in the UK.

5) UK politics is full of skin head groups fighting against"coloured immigration" and muslims. I am not aware of such organised hatred in the US.

6) When some one moves to the US on a H1 or student visa, there is a natural path to acquire green card PR and then a nationality. In the UK one has to either get married to a UK national or the other options are very time consuming.

7) US is a multi lingual and multi cultural place, in the UK you will only be accepted and respected if you try to become like a GORA.

8) Weather in the US is generally good for 9 months and cold for 3 months, UK is the other way round.

The list goes on and on....

WHY US???

1) correct its a massive country... great

2) technically 90% of americans are non native. Londons population is now 40% white British and its more then accepted that non Brits Call England home. we invited alot of them as skilled workers Our doctors are Indian as they are the best Our Builders eastern European as they are the best.Not sure where you get that the UK is less racist then USA i take that as an insult

3) Your right Your tuition fees are half as much... but so is the education Level... dont you still teach creationisnm in Schools over there?

4) as i said before a large majority of workers in the UK are on student visas i dont know of one student from another country un employed. Im pretty sure U.S is going through its second biggest un employment period to date.

5) yes we have dumb skin heads who want to "keep Britain British" they are low grade fools. Dont the states have the KKK, Arian Brotherhood, as well as other racist organisations that the government dont touch? Our police never have the "skin heads" out of sight.

6) dunno where you get this from in the uk a student would apply for a natonal Insurance number With a proof of address and be entitled to as much as a UK Citizen we have free Health care With the idea that if you live here we wont let you die or live in pain... i hear in the US if you dont have the Money then you loose a limb

7) are you kidding or just stupid? clearly never even visited England we have areas of the country that are 100% other Cultural from North londons Jewish area east londons muslim area Bermingham being a mecca for ethnics. We have at least 5 temples and mosques in every city in England and its not a big deal to us.

8) Well... i cant argue the weather.... its poop

Please dont insult the U.K if you clearly have been brainwashed by the U.S they love media Control over there. its not all Bright and rosey

Hi James,

You have just proved it my friend " ARE YOU KIDDING OR JUST STUPID?"

I have discussed issues, subjects and topics more sensitive than this, I have never seen any body using this tone and language?

As a protest I refuse to continue my comments on this subject.

Bye.

Fine by me dont insult my homeland. I would wouldn't do it to anyone else unprovoked. Its fine to put how great the USA is in your opinion but no need to slander the UK

James,

I just asked about part time jobs, education level and citizenship.
Okay so yeah, as I've come to know from various sites and Expat.coms, I do agree with the education level at UK is the best in the world. But cost of living is high. By the way,  the maximum part time job is 20 - 22 hours on student visa and yet people work to maximum 50 hours per week if you haven't noticed it.
Racism is equally prevalent in the UK or USA if your a male. Ladies don't find a problem (as I have to check on that). So, I can't support different countries for it. Depends on your luck!
UK does provide health insurances and yeah that can also be a great advantage, in USA, the medical cost will come up so high. And so yeah that is a problem.
The language and religious issues aren't a big issue at UK . Nor at the USA. It all depends on you.
Weather, up to you to survive. Adjust, fight and work hard you'll get a good time wherever you stay.

And to James and riazcdki :
I am just expressing all the above points from Information I've received fro blogs, sites, friends, etc. I CANNOT assure you that this is 100% true and I DO NOT want an argument. If I am wrong, please correct me and let me know where I am wrong. my plan is just to move to UK, but with different views, well should  take a second thinking ?
Do  share your views.
AND IS IT POSSIBLE TO APPLY FOR JOBS WHEN LIVING OUTSIDE THE UK ?

Regards ,
Patricbabu

Yeah I dont mean to get heated its just how it was worded was insulting. Anyway moving on...
If you work more then the allowed amount of hours on a student visa it is grounds for a visa termination and believe me its quite common. I know people who have been lucky and had 2 jobs on visa hours and not been caught. (London is a big place) But I also know while i have worked in management people who have had fake visas, overstayed, had a fake collage and paperwork always get caught in the end. The government ask business to make regular checks on right to work (I have presented my passport more times then I can remember) a business wouldn't employ you for more then the 20 hours as they would knowingly be breaking the law and recieve a fine.
Yes if I were you I would get online and look for a job now.
Supermarkets are a good start
Sainsburys. Co.uk
Search Asda, , Morrisons, ,tesco, coop, lidl,
You could always phone the UK jobcentre to get information just dont incriminate yourself they will give you advise maybe help you find work. Good luck

Thanks man!
but is it possible i try directly for a job in UK >?
Will companies hire me?!
and before that please know me and riazd are just discussing for and against points, If an average British is so abusive and intolerant then it lowers possibilities of us coming to your country, so please chill James !

Well they wouldn't make it official without seeing that you have the right to work in the UK but I see no reason why they wouldn't offer an interview.

wh

No not without providing a right to work. The fines are to great for the business. Its worth trying and explaining your situation and that you will have the right to work. But like I said it would still only be an interview when you arrive not a job.

Hi man,

Sorry to be pessimistic, you need to first have a goal you want to achieve with ur UK degree. First things first
1. You should not come to UK assuming you can make money by doing part time jobs as many of the Indians end up doing this and forget the primary objective of education. by end of this you will realise that you have wasted you 2 years by not completing ur degree and also wasted 2 years of your life. Trust me this will hurt you in long term if part time is your intention i have many friends who ended up in this situation.
2. Visa & settlement regulation in this country has changed drastically since 2011, you will find it extremely difficult to find the right job after your education unless you pass out in one of the best universities here, so spend more time to find the right university which will straight away place you in the global market if not UK. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. don't listen to your friends here in UK who might say just come here you can make money with part time job.
3. The current regulation is that you cannot settle in UK in long term and you will need to be on work permit all time to work, HSMP visa is no more available.

I have gone through all these in the past 9 years in UK and advise you to come here for Education only and have a back up plan if you don't find a job. THis will make your life easy.

Good Luck.

Ukqatar wrote:

Hi man,

Sorry to be pessimistic, you need to first have a goal you want to achieve with ur UK degree. First things first
1. You should not come to UK assuming you can make money by doing part time jobs as many of the Indians end up doing this and forget the primary objective of education. by end of this you will realise that you have wasted you 2 years by not completing ur degree and also wasted 2 years of your life. Trust me this will hurt you in long term if part time is your intention i have many friends who ended up in this situation.
2. Visa & settlement regulation in this country has changed drastically since 2011, you will find it extremely difficult to find the right job after your education unless you pass out in one of the best universities here, so spend more time to find the right university which will straight away place you in the global market if not UK. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. don't listen to your friends here in UK who might say just come here you can make money with part time job.
3. The current regulation is that you cannot settle in UK in long term and you will need to be on work permit all time to work, HSMP visa is no more available.

I have gone through all these in the past 9 years in UK and advise you to come here for Education only and have a back up plan if you don't find a job. THis will make your life easy.

Good Luck.

Absolutely agree With this.
On the bussiness side of this we enter the dates from uni/colleges letters about course confermation onto a data base and when the dates up if you dont provide evidence that you are still a student With valid visa, the home Office is normally contacted. The police turn up at the work Place for imediate deportation. With i believe a 3 year no Return condition (taken to holding cells in dover before deported) so if a "student" decides its better to work in UK on a student visa then go to School just beware how dangerous this can be.
I have seen first hand grown men beg in tears to stay with Family memebers i would never wish it on anyone.

james mack - I understand your anger. But believe me, most of us appreciate what we have in England, which isn't found elsewhere. It's a great country. And I'm proud to have been born and bred here.

Hi everybody,

We are drifting off topic here, do note that the title of this topic is : Planning a move to UK

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers: