New member - lot of questions to ask

Hi everyone!
I don't think I've ever posted on this form before but not positive since I've been searching and asking questions about Puerto Rico for some months now.

Thank you so much for this form it's been very helpful and informative.

My husband is nearing retirement age, 4 years left and we are planning on buying a place in Rincon, and hopefully staying six months at a time.  Chris, my husband has been traveling to Puerto Rico for years now staying from a few days to a week. The last two years I spent three weeks and this past year two months.   We rented a place in Rincon.  Will be spending 3 months this next year. I have to say I had the best time of my entire life during those two months! What fun we had. The the Puerto Ricans and the "gringos" are just the nicest people ever!  I enjoyed it immensely. 

I understand there is a lot of crime and that does concern me but, it doesn't outweigh the beauty of the place and the way it feels, it's just amazing! Even with jail bars on the doors and windows I can't stop thinking about it, and I can't wait to go back. Walking to the farmers market, walking to the beach and local restaurants, eating fresh fruit, I just love the lifestyle. I even like hanging clothes on the line, not having a dishwasher or garbage disposal doesn't bother me either.  It's a simpler life and I guess that's what I'm looking for.

So from what I've learned from all of you is, Puerto Rico is a great place if you're retired and semi-healthy, but not so great if you need to work.  I do have arthritis pretty bad but I don't need medical attention for it, And it seemed to get better while I was there and worse when I returned home.

What do you all think about about buying versus renting?  It would be really great to have your own comfortable bed and furniture. We are looking in Vista Azul. Really would like to have my own place, Something in the lower price ranges.

She takes deep breath and sighs....can't wait for December to get here!
Thanks in advance for any replies!
Penny

Hello, Penny, and welcome! My husband and I want to spent time renting long term in Rincon, also.  We actually looked at a couple of homes in Vista Azul  :)  For us we decided to rent for a while and then decide if this is where we really want .  Like you, we fell in love with Rincon's atmosphere and people.  We are coming down the beginning of February for 17days.  May I ask how you found your rental?

Hi Penny and welcome to Expat-blog!

Pbudinsky wrote:

So from what I've learned from all of you is, Puerto Rico is a great place if you're retired and semi-healthy, but not so great if you need to work.

Well, it's difficult to find a job, especially if you don't have an education. Many expats come to the island because their company offered them a position here and they're doing just great.

I hope you'll enjoy Rincon!

Hi Schuttzi,

Thanks for the welcome!

The rental we stayed in was recommended by a friend. But you can find it in the classified ads and there are others that you can locate through Island West properties.  Most people offering rentals seem to want long-term contracts. The people that own the harbor in restaurant also rent one townhouse in Vista Azul,  and they will rent month-to-month, you may want to contact the harbor Inn restaurant.

A word of caution...
We had a verbal agreement and a handshake to rent the same place again for four months but as We learned the hard way, without a contract in hand it didn't mean anything. They stalled 3 months hoping for a better deal and they found someone to rent to for 2 years. So we moved on looking to buy.

I wanted to be with in walking distance of the beach and a few restaurants and the farmers market. It's also a short distance to local nightspots where they have bands and art shows etc. Vista Azul was a good location for that.

Well if you do rent in that area I'm sure we will meet each other, all the gringos know one another it's really awesome!

Good luck!

Thanks Gary

I know I will!

Thank you, for the information and the heads up about a contract.  I'd love to have utilities included as we are not quite ready for longer than a month just yet but hopefully soon.  We have two daughters still at home doing college, ages 20 and almost 19.  We really liked the location of Vista Azul, too, and we were told it is a safe and quiet area.  Loved the closeness of beach and shops. So are you going be in that area this winter?

Good luck with your search to buy. Bless!

My husband and I will be there in December our children will be comming in mid Dec through Jan. have a son 20 and and daughter 22.  The rest are older or married, they are all joining us at some point. I will be there dec - February.
Vista Azul is not quiet!   You have The Harbour Inn close by and they are really loud on the weekends.  School is also right there, and cars are loud too!  I've not noticed anything being quiet about Puerto Rico....maybe the beach lol.  :cool:

HaHa, you are probably right!  I hope you have wonderful time with your family :)