Hi mikkakenn,

You could be more explicit maybe?
What do you want to know exactly?

Regards
Armand
Expat.com Team

mikkaken wrote:

I want information about living in Papua new guinea

Papua New Guinea is a beautiful country. However it is not a that safe a place to live and work. Security is the top requirement for anyone considering coming here to live and work.

You must have  good secure accommodation, not go out at night by yourself, be aware of your surroundings when you do go out. Take care when getting money out at ATM's , do not wear flashy jewelry. 

In Port Moresby there are night clubs, sport clubs, supermarkets etc.

Hi Stumpy,

I may be moving to POM and concerned about living conditions. Company I'll be joining have cars and secured transport etc. I was just wondering is your lifestyle very limited?

Are there gyms/pools etc in the residential compounds? (in general)
In general, is the accommodation nice, clean, modern?
Is it safe to go for a few beers?
Do people get randomly beaten up on the streets?

I know my questions are random, but I'm just trying to get a grip on what to expect. Must make decision to move there in the next few days! So any info/tips will be hugely helpful!

Thanks,

Brian

Some have pools, some don't.
Some are cleaner than others.
The above all depends on the company who you will be working for but they are usually good as they have to be to keep people there.
Always go out with others, never alone until you are very familiar with the place.
If violence flares it is usually between locals, don't get involved in it or go for a sticky beak.
It is safe to go for a few beers with mates.

Fully agree with these cmments - been her 11 years and it is more dangerous now than ever.
Mike W

Just don't bring your wife / family wahtever you do.  There have been two expat rapes in the past 4 weeks - both in their own homes!
It used to be great here and relatively safe. Those days have gone. treat is as a place to make some reasonable money - fly in fly out to see the wife and kids.