Is Santa Ana safe?

We thought that since Santa Ana is a suburb of Escazu that it would be safe. However, we have made Tico friends that tell us to stay away from Santa Ana because it is not safe. We are interested in view points from Expats and /or Ticos that really know about the area. Thanks

I have never heard that it is 'unsafe'. Like any other area there will be some 'neighborhoods' that are better than others.
You have to check these out in order to find what suits you.

I agree. You do have to check it out. We are checking out a bunch of towns. Do you actually live in Santa Ana? I want to hear from people that live or have lived there. But thanks for your input about what you have heard.

Dave101,

Thanks for the chuckle.  Your profile shows that you live in Boston, MA.  I looked up the statistics real quick and can assure you that pretty much any place that you live here will have less crime than you have there.  I was actually surprised how violent Boston has become.  Only 15% of the entire U.S. is more violent than Boston.  ...just talking statistics, not meant in anyway to be insulting.

A friend of mine lives in a condo in Santa Ana and I visit often.  He likes living there a lot and does feel safe.  As I always say, just depends on your taste and preferences.  You couldn't pay me to live in Santa Ana - too noisy and busy.  I like living out in the country.  At the same time you will find people who wouldn't like living where I live and would prefer Santa Ana.  I lived in Northern California in a nice area.  I feel MUCH safer anywhere here then I did there.

Living in CR in nothing like the States.  You cannot compare where you live there to anything here.  You have to experience it and then make your own personal choice. 

I've written many time - spend your first year traveling around to see what "you" like.  Rent, do not buy a house for years.

Thanks Dave 101. We had a home outside of Boston - very nice suburb. My wife and I are in CR looking to locate a place to rent . We have been searching for 6 weeks so far - going around and checking out towns and asking questions etc.

What town did you end up settling into in CR? You mentioned you like it. Is it in the Central Valley? Does your friend  live in a house or condo in Santa Ana?

"You" are logged in as Dave101, I'm ExpatDave.

I live about 6 km. outside of San Ramon, Alajuela in my jungle paradise.  I developed a few acres and built my home myself.  Well, it's still being built - about 90% complete.

The friend of mine lives in an older group of condos.  It's kind of a cross between Tico and Gringo style.  IF I was going to live near the city, I would lean toward Escazu or Santa Ana.

Sorry about that - I meant Expat Dave.  I just joined by this name today. Thanks for your recommendation. I may build a house for my wife and me as well. I have been looking into this option as well. I know that must take lots of patience! Good luck with your new home.

I found doing construction here to be fun.  I built based on San Francisco building codes as CR's are very lacking.  I used SF codes because they have a lot of earthquakes as well.  I had one inspection by the city of San Ramon and that was from about 30 meters away.  I had a number of arguments with my architect because I disagreed with their way of construction.  I would do a few things different if I did it again.  If you want to talk about it in the future when/if you do build, I'd be happy to help.  Or if you want to pick my brain on other things about CR.  My email is pura vida for two at yahoo dot com.  (Wasn't sure if we can post email address here.)

- Dave

Thanks ExpatDave! I'll do that!

I currently live in Santa Ana and I have never felt unsafe here.  To me there is really no difference between Escazu and santa Ana safety wise.  I have to say I do not go out at night that much, but I think going out at night alone as a woman is never really smart...

If Beverly Hills had no police dept. would you live there ?

Better yet. If the MS13 WAS the police dept in Beverly Hills would you live there ?

Syl12 wrote:

I currently live in Santa Ana and I have never felt unsafe here.  To me there is really no difference between Escazu and santa Ana safety wise.  I have to say I do not go out at night that much, but I think going out at night alone as a woman is never really smart...

Translation : No it's not safer than anywhere else but they DO know in you live there you have money and other useless crap.

Arnold,

You never have anything positive to say.  If you are that miserable, why do you live here?

- Dave

:offtopic:

Can we concentrate on the topic please? Thank you