Coming back to Malta with my car

I need an opinion from anyone who is literate in these case. I am a foreigner (Italian) who came to Malta a little over a year ago with my car having Italian number plates. In the beginning I wasnt really aware of the situation here in Malta but now I am concerned and this is why I ask for helpI was told that I would need to register my car in Malta otherwise I would be fined heavily and my car could also be confiscated. To be honest I was flashed a few times and given tickets here & there (until I got used to where the cameras are and where I could not park  especially where the paint of parking/yellow lines do not show!). In the meantime, I went back up to Italy for two months with the car but wish to come back down with it. Is it a good option? I am worried they would find out about my previous contraventions which bdw I never received at my Italian home address. What does it entail to register my car in Malta being Italian (I am told that the English cars go through a different procedure in Malta).

For sure you are on the system, the Maltese have inherited from the English a bureaucrat system that excels in storing fines etc for years............ and you are correct that the emphasis is mainly towards English plated cars, as these would be ones that Maltese would purchase themselves. 
Personally I would not come back to Malta with the same car again, you and other car would be OK.

All the violations are on the central system , as far as I know the 'foreign plated ones too. Every office clerk at the local council or elsewhere can log and and see the details. If foreign plated cars where not in the system it would not make sense to bother giving them a ticket in the first place.

So if you come back with the car and want to apply for tax exemption or pay registration tax and you where registered as resident in Malta you will have a problem either registering the car within the allowed time frame or showing that it was not in Malta for the previous two years to apply for exemption as all the violations will pop up with the exact time and date.

I would not take the risk either. You have already been lucky that you could leave with the car without being caught.

Cheers
Ricky