Malaria - should we take medication or not

Would like to hear from other expats what they do about malaria prevention. Have been told by a few people that the medication is worse than the actual sickness. Spoke to our doctor and he didn't really recommend long term medication, suggested we talk to the people living there to get some feedback.

Take the medication but if you are coming out on leave then stop taking it then.  I got malaria many years ago in PNG.

You cannot keep taking malaria medications in the long term. What I did is I took doxicyclin until I got a car, knew where was the hospital and knew some neighbours. If you treat Malaria quickly you shouldn't have much health issue so you need to make sure you can do that quickly.

There can be many mosquitos if you live in the land, but by the sea you don't see many of them. And houses are well equipped with mosquito nets.

Thanks Simon, I'm thinking along those lines. Our doctor was not at all happy with us taking medication for any length of time.
Any other tips?  We will be up there in a few weeks time.

Take the medication for the first three months to help build up a resistance to Malaria. After that don't take the medication as it is not healthy long term and can affect hearing and sight. If you do contract Malaria seek medical attention as soon as possible. The hospitals in PNG are very good at treating Malaria as it is their most prevalent disease and they have long experience in treating this disease.