Living with children in Mexico

Hello everyone!
We are a couple with two children aged 5 and 10
Considering moving to Mexico
We would like to know about communities of expats with children (not gated communities)
Are there any home schooling groups?
Any other info about living with kids in Mexico will be greatly appreciated

mayasatya wrote:

Hello everyone!
We are a couple with two children aged 5 and 10
Considering moving to Mexico
We would like to know about communities of expats with children (not gated communities)
Are there any home schooling groups?
Any other info about living with kids in Mexico will be greatly appreciated

From what I read on the 3 Expat web boards I read there is no Expat communities in Mexico City, not even gated guarded ones. It is that the Expats live all over the place and no concentrations exist as in popular beach zones, Lake Chapala or San Miguel de Allende where many retired Expats reside, at least part time. To socialize with Expats there are some Expat organizations there.

My son goes to school here and most of the teachers know English. All schools have different prices. Most of the schools have two shifts 8-1 and 2-7. Most people have to be put on a list to get an am class but because we are Americans so I got pushed up on the list. Most schools will bend over backward to have american kids in the school. Homework is a big thing here, my son will have 2-4 hours of homework each day. Schooling as far as I can see is more intense than american schools. Mexico now has mandatory English classes. I use Rosetta Stone and I cant say enough about it. It is the best learning tool by far.

We're not living there yet, but we intend to move to San Miguel de Allende with our 13 year old next year.  This year we'll be there for 2 months and have enrolled him in the international acadamy there to check it out.  We've been going to SM for 12 years now and we're totally in love with it.  Very safe, lots to do, great theater, libraries, markets.  Lots of kids, great artistic expat community.  Check it out.

My kids have been raised here since they were 2 and 3 and they are going into 4th and 5th grade now. In the Lake Chapala area they are only few good private school choices but San Miguel has much more. Either way, exposing your children to another language and culture will give them many benefits. Good luck

I am STRONGLY considering moving my family to SM from Las Vegas within the year. I too am concerned with the education options since i have 2 small girls who will be entering school in the next few years.

Im hoping to make some friends here first to get some inside info on actually living there (need to fully sell the wife on an international move).

If anyone would like to share some experiences of making the transition a smooth one, please feel free to message me.

Thanks in advance, and i look forward to joining the the SM community in the near future.

Hi LasVegasPokerPlayer,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :)

Please feel free to start a new topic on the Mexico Forum with all your questions or for sharing information :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

We are considering a move to San Miguel - we have two daughters ages 1 and 2. I would like to learn all that we can about childcare options, preschools ect. Please contact me at 7742623797 - cheers thx Colin

Any chance you can make time for a phone call this week to discuss moving to San Miguel. We also have 2 kids ages 1 and 2. Please let me know thx -

I know this was posted a long time ago, but if you´re still interested, I´ve got plenty of experience living with kids in Mexico.  My daughter is 5 and my son is 3.  Both were born in Mexico.  (My husband is Mexican. We´re rather permanent.) 

I do have a good community of expats in Saltillo (who I´m hoping to organize).  saltilloexpats.wordpress.com

And a number of the moms here do homeschool!  Most of the homeschoolers have older kids, but I´m willing to bet they´d be happy to help you out! 

Let me know if you´d like more information!

I'd love more info on homeschooling kids in mexico. Please