A Gringo's Survival Guide to Brazil

Hope is ALWAYS the last thing to die.  hehehehehe

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

My buddies and are coming for the world cup and we are looking to get a guide/driver to take us from city to city for in the southern end of Brazil.

do you know of anyone or a company? any info would be great

thnaks
Nico

Hi Nico,

I'd be rather skeptical about hiring somebody to drive me and be my guide. I think that you'd be much better off and it will probably end up being cheaper if you use the interstate bus lines to travel between the cities you intend to visit and then contact a reputable travel agency in the city (CVC is one recognized nationally) who could probably arrange a local tour guide for you. The risk of putting you and your friends in the hands of a total stranger could be substantial.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif

I'm constantly asked how dangerous is Brazil. Well the answer to that is subjective and depends on where you're from and what you're used to.

Any country is dangerous, some are just more dangerous than others. Generally speaking here in Brazil you're at no greater risk of being the victim of any crime than anywhere else if you faithfully practice the safety tips I outlined in the original posting. You don't make yourself the target of crime, which is usually a crime of opportunity.

My idea of how dangerous just looking at figures and based on what I'm used to from Canadian figures will be vastly different from anyone coming from other countries. Just for an example lets look at some figures and see what I mean. Using just the murder rate - number of homicides per 100,000 of population.

Canada 1.6; USA 5.4 and Brazil 21.8 these figures have been relatively stable for years. So for me, just looking at statistics, it's going to seem more dangerous than it would for an American, since they are naturally accustomed to a slightly higher homicide rate back home than we are in Canada.

So if you come from some other country that has even a higher homicide rate than Brazil, you're going to think it's paradise just looking at statistics and you're going to feel much safer than you did at home.

In fairness Brazil is far from being the most dangerous country in the world and it isn't even the most dangerous in the Americas nor just in South America either. Honduras has the dubious honor of having the highest homicide rate in the Americas at 91.6 and the South American "champion" is Venezuela at 45.1 per 100,000. Brazil is in a slightly better position (but not by much) than Mexico which has a rate of 23.0.

What frigtens me the very most is not the homicide rate in this country, but rather the percentage of murders that are solved. In Canada 76% of all homicides are solved. In the USA 70% are solved, which given their much higher population than Canada's is rather impressive. On the other hand across Brazil, depending on who you get your figures from only 5 - 8% of homicides are ever solved, due to poorly trained and grossly underfunded police and forensic experts, lack of interest in solving them on the part of police because of the overwhelming sense of impunity created by antiquated and defective laws; but also because of a cultural resistance to ever coming forward with any information. The average Brazilian never sees anything, never hears anything and certainly doesn't know anything about ANY crime committed. All in all that means if you murder somebody in Brazil, you stand an 92% chance of getting away with it. That's what I find r-e-a-l-l-y scary!!!

I completely agree with this. There are worst parts of Chicago than what I have seen in Brazil. Foreigners have an inherent risk wherever they travel - for crime and being extorted/taken advantage of. Common sense and street smarts will help you.

http://yoursmiles.org/ksmile/flag6/brazil-flag-waving-smile.gif

Matt V. - Manaus, Amazonas, Brasil
Visit my Personal Blog - brazilbs.blogspot.com

[Moderated: pls avoid free ads]

[Moderated: off topic]

thank

William James Woodward, your posts are very informative . i like

"There are worst parts of Chicago than what I have seen in Brazil. "

Brazil is exactly like Chicago: there are areas that are safe, other areas that are not.

Hi AndKen,

Exactly right!!! Certainly nothing that we gringos can't handle in stride by taking the normal travel precautions that we would anywhere else in the world.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil & Canada Expert, Expat-blog Team

A really great post right here packed with information! I'm genuinely sick of people harping on about how dangerous Brazil is, and naturally tourists and people who stand out get picked on it happens in every country in the world!!!!

this was a great idea man, congrats, now a lot of people can solve their travel problems

Really hepful post personnaly I wanted to know if Barra Da Tijuca is a ''safe'' area ? I'm supposed to be there in the summer.
Cheers

Barra de Tijuca is no safer nor is it any more dangerous than any other place in Brazil. If you follow the safety tips in the ORIGINAL POSTING religiously you should have no problems anywhere in Brazil.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Thank you so much for posting this, it has saved me a lot of time and energy and I appreciate it. : )

MORE DRIVING SAFETY TIPS

Learn to "read" traffic signals and predict what they're going to do. For example a "stale green light", that's one that is about to turn red very soon. You should not race to outrun it, since you might be wrong and end up in a serious motor vehicle accident because you've run a red light. Rather, slow right down, but don't come to a complete stop until it turns green again, then you can speed up and proceed through the intersection.

If you must stop because of other vehicles in front at a traffic signal ALWAYS leave a good distance between your vehicle and the ones in front. This serves two purposes, it leaves you an escape route if someone tries to rob you and it also sends a message to would-be robbers that you're not dumb enough to make yourself an easy target. If you can't see the point where the rear tires of the car ahead touch the pavement then you're way to close. I recommend leaving at the very minimum one car-lenght of space between you and any vehicle stopped in front of you.

On main thoroughfares in big cities, streets that have a center boulevard and at least 3 lanes of traffic in each direction, avoid driving in the lane closest to the boulevard (extreme left lane) and also the lane closest to the curb (extreme right lane). Stay in the center lane as much as possible, since the mathematical odds are that if you're going to be attacked by a would-be robber it is going to be somebody who's waiting to pounce on you from either the boulevard or from the sidewalk. They're less apt to target cars in the center lane, it takes too much time and exposes them to risk of being run over.

If your car doesn't have a side mirror on the right side install one. You should scan all three of your rear view mirrors constantly no matter what country you're in, this is part of defensive driving. Here in Brazil it is more important still to know exactly what is going on around your vehicle at all times while driving. Don't just assume that you're safe in your little metal cocoon because you're in motion. That's no substitue on being aware of what's going on all around you. Essentially to stay safe here in Brazil you need to have eyes in your S_IT!!!

Tinted windows - First no matter how hot, never drive with doors unlocked and windows rolled down, this makes you an easy target. If your car has tinted windows so much the better, if not install window film (the darkest permitted by law). This prevents would-be robbers from seeing inside your vehicle, they can't see if you're alone or have a car load of armed guards. It also deprives them of any chance to see if there are any valuables worth going after.

If all else fails, never react - do exactly what the robbers tell you to do. Raise your hands in the air, speak slowly and if you have to do anything, explain it slowly and clearly before you make any movement.... "I'm taking off my seatbelt" "I'm going to take out my wallet, it's in my back pocket." etc. Many people have been shot by bandits who were more nervous than they were, simply because they made some unexpected and sudden move. Don't make that mistake.

Cheers,

Great advice, as usual!   Thank you!

yep, the list of horrible Brazil goes on and on. Look, Brazil is a FAILED COUNTRY in almost all respects. Sure you meet wonderful people - all of them living behind high walls and electric fences - ALL OF THEM. And virtually EVERYONE has been assaulted, robbed, broken into (including yours truly), and knows plenty of folks that have had the same happen to them.  What does that tell you? WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU?

I have been living in this country for several years as an ex pat and it is on my crossed-off list of places not to live. I cannot wait to leave this despicable excuse for a country. I will miss the nice folks I got to know. But with 40% of the people nothing but criminals, drug addicts, extremely dangerous drivers, inconsiderate of human life (note all the open-air assassinations) etc. etc. etc.    ..... what exactly is left to adore? The great meat and beer?

Brazil could've been a great country - it never will be, the society is one of rampant violence, poverty, corruption...

Other than that, it's a great place. Just ask any Brazilian.

"I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto!"

While you are entitled to your opinion and nobody is going to say that most of what you're saying doesn't really happen, I think you're focussing only on the negative.

Sure there's plenty wrong with Brazil, but there's just as much wrong with the USA, Canada, the UK and EU too. Show me the perfect Utopia and I'll move there this very afternoon. It just doesn't exist.

There are just as many good things about Brazil as there are bad, trust me I wouldn't have remained in this country for over 12 years if it were all bad and there was nothing good to look forward to, nobody would!

Sounds to me like you've never really adapted to living here and that you came here strictly for monetary reasons, and weren't too darned happy about that idea either. The money must have been good though since you stayed for several years while you were earning your income! Would you have been working all that time if you were back in Boston? I don't know, when we see major cities like Detroit filing Chapter 9 bankruptcy, New York narrowly avoiding that and many California cities watching what happens with Detroit, with a view to filing Chapter 9 too.

Sure, Brazil is far from perfect but you can't just ignore all the good things about this country, many of which you won't find in so-called "First World" countries.

I've seen the same complaints from expats not only here in Brazil, but in forums from many other countries. They have without exception come from people who simply can't or won't move through all the stages of culture shock and adaptation, people who are bent on comparing every place on earth to their own home country or hometown, who set themselves up for failure in adapting to life abroad. Those are the people to whom I say...

If you expect EVERYTHING to be exactly the way it is BACK HOME, better off staying home in the first place and save yourself the expense and letdowns.

Cheers,

Oi amigo, ja faz quase sete anos to morando aqui no Brasil, falo Portugues mais ou menos fluentemente, sou tradutor em 5 linguas, sou casado com uma brasileira, tenho um monte de parentes brasileiros e sigo a vida normal no pais e mexo com todo mundo. Tenho uma casa, carro, pago imposto igual voce. Sei exatamente o que eu to falando, nao trata-se somente de uma opinion de alguem que nao conseguiu se adaptar ao seu novo lar, Os brasileiros estao de saco cheio do seu proprio pais fracassado, onde o ser-human nao vale nada e a violencia toma conta do pais inteiro.

Ainda nao respondeu a minha pergunta a voce - porque todo mundo vive atras de grades e cercas eletrificadas nesse pais?

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u531/wjwoodward/ENGLISH_zps6781a35b.jpg

Hello jwesneski,

Out of consideration for all of our members, would you kindly post in English only in this and other Anglophone forums.

While I am completely fluent in Portuguese and understand what you're saying, many of our members are not.

Please refer to the Brazil Forum Code of Conduct section regarding LANGUAGE.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=164702

Thankyou for your cooperation and understanding.

Cheers,

People in Brazil live behind barred window, barbed wire topped walls, locked away in the (supposed) safety of their homes because of the reasons that I've often mentioned, a woefully outdated Penal Code and juvenile laws that just don't work, a justice system that favors the financially well heeled, laws that favor criminals and not the law-abiding citizen and corrupt politicians that couldn't care less about any of the foregoing.

But most of all they do so simply because Brazilians have never learned how to vote, let alone who to vote for and how to hold those they do vote for accountable for their actions. Not that any of that would do any good at all in a country where you can't be a candidate for office if you're illiterate, but it's perfectly fine (and even mandatory) to vote if you're illiterate. The average Brazilian hasn't the first clue about their rights because they couldn't read the Constitution if their lives depended on it and they've, through over 500 years of their culture and history, learned never to complain and certainly not to do so in any organized way.

Until this country becomes a REAL democracy and not just a dictatorship in disguise nothing is going to change ever. If you expect it to, then you're in for a big letdown. Like the old saying goes, every civilization gets the kind of government that they deserve. That holds especially true here in Brazil.

Cheers,

Dear James

I Took up your invitation to look at your Brazil forum.

It's very impressive indeed. You must be spending many hours writing all the contributions. Your Gringo's Survival Guide is extremely comprehensive. You are providing a wonderful service to expats in Brazil.

Do you have time to do anything else? It would seem that you would have to work full time for Expat.com to have achieved all that you have.

For all the difficulties and the dangers, there must be something magical to have kept you in Brazil for so long. What is that? Was it serendipity or perhaps a meeting with a significant other? In my experience there's usually a significant other somewhere in the equation.

Kindest regards

Christopher

Not only my more than significant other, but also our beautiful 6 year old son who is my whole world wrapped up in one tiny body! He's also smarter than a whip, funnier than a Night at the Improv and is learning his daddy's passion for cooking too.

Aha. The secret ingredients are your partner and your beautiful son. I thought there must be something magic like that. I remember well the feeling. My sons are grown up now, one with a son of his own.

My PMs have been unblocked. If you had anything to do with it thank you. I have replied to the expat in Negombo who responded to my message.

Kindest regards

Christopher

Very good information 2

Dobrý den Mila,

Thanks for your wonderful comment. People just like you make all the work I do here worthwhile.

Actually, to answer your question about writing a book, I written 11 books, but they're all to teach English as a second language for Brazilians.  :D

Hope you're having a wonderful time over there in Prague.

Cheers,
James

wjwoodward wrote:

Actually, to answer your question about writing a book, I written 11 books, but they're all to teach English as a second language for Brazilians.  :D

I really don't want to point this out, but I'm required by law to do so.

Required by law??? How can that possibly be Your Excellency Madam President of the Republic of Freedonia? You mean to tell me that my idol isn't above the law?  :/   Poop! My whole day is shot now.

xxx ooo,
JJ

LOL.

I always known you were smart, William.

Comes with my very advanced age, Dalia. Just ask Hailey, she'll tell you all about that and how my nickname Jurassic Jimmy came to be!  :lol:

Thanks ! This was soooo helpful !!!!!!!!

"Jurassic Jimmy," eh? LOL. So THAT's what the "JJ" stands for...!  :)

That's ok. I've been called a "dinosaur" myself for more than one reason and much more than once, William, and,...actually...MOSTLY by MYSELF! Which just goes to prove, contrary to popular opinion, dinosaurs are NOT extinct, haha. At least there's still one living in Brazil and one living here in the U.S.

Such an awesome post! This will really help many people living and those expecting to live for some time in Brazil! Priceless!!

Thanks1 :)

I lived in the South of Brazil (Curitiba) for over seven months and I plan to return to live there.... I never really read into any safety advice about Brazil, just left there to train (mma) and treated it like any other country I went to.

Something I would like to share

I walked at night, alone, walked through vilas (Curitiban equivalent of favelas), alone and often with my "expensive" camera, went to the parts of the city many people consider unsafe and always walked home and never encountered anything bad.... I know some might cringe reading this and find it really irresponsible.

I wore shorts and tshirts, and I'm a big dude at 1m80 and 120kgs and with a big beard and shaved head, I often encountered the Brazilians crossing the road so they didn't have to encounter me.

I once went to a party in the favelas, and met some local "gangsters" or "criminals" I hung out with, who told me never to wear my backpack/daypack (what you call it) in front, because that's the easiest way for them to discover that you a) are a tourist, because no brazilian ever wears his backpack on his belly, and, contrary to what lonely planet guide says, all brazilians wear backpacks, and b) that you are holding valuables, which turn you into a potential robbery target.  You are better off wearing it on your back or putting your valuables in a plastic grocery bag.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of us aren't hulking giants who are experienced in the martial arts, so the activities that you suggested are invitations to mayhem and injury. Myself I'm a runner.... at the first sign of trouble I'd run. Doubt though that I could outrun a bullet though.

The fact remains that the best way to avoid being the victim of crime in this country is to avoid doing the kind of things that present the opportunity and put you in the role of being a victim in the first place. Sadly, lately in many large cities even that isn't working well anymore.

Cheers,
James

I said what I did was not smart, but I encountered no problems with it. Martial arts or not, if you get shot, you get shot.

The only suggestion I made was the backpack thing, and thinking about what they said, its pretty true. When I saw people walking with one on their chest, it really screams tourist.  If you really feel unsafe about getting pickpocket, put some quicklock strips on your zippers.

Cheers,

Gandulf

James,

Very nice work.  I lived in Sao Paulo for 5 years and never was a victim by using common sense and tips included in your post.  The process for a CPF number and banking is very  helpful and we'll use it when we arrive in July.

Hi Gandulf,

Actually backpacks, whether worn on the back or chest are inherently loaded with problems. We actually have gangs who specialize in robbing the contents of backpack (worn on the back). They do it in broad daylight, while you're walking down the busy street. They just come up behind you matching your pace and deftly slice open the backpack using a box cutter knife. Many times it's done so skillfully that the victims don't even perceive it until much later. I guess they're just spinning the wheel of chance regarding what they could possibly get out of one's backpack, but that doesn't stop them from trying.

I'm not so sure that wearing the backpack on your chest here in Brazil screams "tourist" as much as it screams, "I use public transit." Actually it's quite common in major cities and those who actually do wear them on their backs will most often switch them to the front when they board public transportation. It's much less likely you're going to knock some poor soul down that way. Not so sure anyway if anything that screams "tourist" is nearly as dangerous as doing something that screams "potential victim". Hopefully that's what all the tips I've listed will help prevent. It's worked well for me, knock on wood! 13+ years here in Brazil and I've never had any bad or scary experiences as a result.

Cheers,
James

Yes, for public transportation is a totally different situation, off course.  I never saw any Brazilian wear their backpacks like this, maybe I am not in the right cities.  I heard the story about guys cutting open a backpack, and actually witnessed this in Venezuela, but not yet in Brazil, and hopefully never.  The south of Brazil is another world compared to the north off course.