Pulling the plug on your mortgage and moving to Cambodia.

Hi there. I signed up a couple of months ago, finally decided to post. Great forum :)

I have visited Cambodia 4 times, in the last 3 years. I have pretty much fallen in love with its charm and character.For the last couple of years I have had a dream to move there. Now I have a bit of equity in my property I want to sell up and take the plunge.

I know in life you have to take risks to fulfill your dreams. But I do have some anxiety of it going wrong! I would like to hear from other members of this board who have quit there mortgage at a fairly young age and made the move?

I am 35, been working in Freight/Logistics at London Heathrow for 19 years. I would really like a break from this industry. I know its a cliche in Cambodia, but teaching English is something that appeals to me. I have read a lot of posts, on various forums about teaching, But I would like to know what time of the year is best to arrive to gain a job?

I also read on another forum, that sometime during 2015 Cambodia will require a degree to gain a working visa, as it is a ASEAN member, can anyone shed some light on this?

Many thanks

Darkus945 wrote:

Hi there. I signed up a couple of months ago, finally decided to post. Great forum :)

I have visited Cambodia 4 times, in the last 3 years. I have pretty much fallen in love with its charm and character.For the last couple of years I have had a dream to move there. Now I have a bit of equity in my property I want to sell up and take the plunge.

I know in life you have to take risks to fulfill your dreams. But I do have some anxiety of it going wrong! I would like to hear from other members of this board who have quit there mortgage at a fairly young age and made the move?

I am 35, been working in Freight/Logistics at London Heathrow for 19 years. I would really like a break from this industry. I know its a cliche in Cambodia, but teaching English is something that appeals to me. I have read a lot of posts, on various forums about teaching, But I would like to know what time of the year is best to arrive to gain a job?

I also read on another forum, that sometime during 2015 Cambodia will require a degree to gain a working visa, as it is a ASEAN member, can anyone shed some light on this?

Many thanks

Welcome to the forum.
Part of the ASEAN agreement is the free flow of people from the other ASEAN countries into Cambodia as tourists and also to work. This may be the reason for needing a degree for westerners.

As good as it sounds to come to Cambodia to live and work you must also consider a back up plan in case things go pear shaped. In other words don't put all your eggs into the Cambodian basket.

Have you considered working in your profession for a multinational company and base yourself in Cambodia. Mining companies, oil and gas companies and major construction companies all require freight and logistics personnel and some have bases in Asia or if on site it is often fly in fly out with time on site and time off site.

Have you also looked at renting out your place so that the rent covers the mortgage.

Welcome I think you are making a good decision, many opportunities in Cambodia

stumpy wrote:

Welcome to the forum.
Part of the ASEAN agreement is the free flow of people from the other ASEAN countries into Cambodia as tourists and also to work. This may be the reason for needing a degree for westerners.

As good as it sounds to come to Cambodia to live and work you must also consider a back up plan in case things go pear shaped. In other words don't put all your eggs into the Cambodian basket.

Have you considered working in your profession for a multinational company and base yourself in Cambodia. Mining companies, oil and gas companies and major construction companies all require freight and logistics personnel and some have bases in Asia or if on site it is often fly in fly out with time on site and time off site.

Have you also looked at renting out your place so that the rent covers the mortgage.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Putting all my eggs in one basket is a definite no-no.

I have taken on board your tips for logistical job ideas, I come from more of a customer service/ Customs procedure background for a freight agent, but would be very interested in purchasing and shipping in a company.
I would like to head to Cambodia with a completed teaching course and logistical background to give me some options.

Renting my property out was my dream. Unfortunately I am tied into a shared ownership scheme. Which means I cannot rent it out, unless I buy all of it. The housing market in London is in a mess. Sounds dramatic, but really my only option is to sell up and bank my equity.

mebaria wrote:

Welcome I think you are making a good decision, many opportunities in Cambodia

Thank you :)
What line of work are you doing in Cambodia?

Hi Darkus 945
Well I'm doing the same I'm 46, been through something I would rather forget anyway that's the past. I have a few resources behind me and I'm taking the up the challenge. The way I see it the worst that can happen is I go home with my tail between my legs, god forgive back home to my parents ahh lol. But I love the place I see opportunities there and I'm sure with a bit of planning being & careful with dollars things will be ok.
I'll be there on 14/8/14 I'm a bit nervous but that's a good thing I think. If I can survive the first 2 years I'll be fine. Discipline focus respect and willingness to learn. All the best maybe we can meet up message me on here
Regards

Cambodia has charms, but has very difficult realities that should not be minimized if you are planning at the age of 46 to make such a drastic life move.  There is still incredible corruption and petty crime, such as stealing electricity from one-another, steeling purses.  etc.  I lived in a beautiful home with a pool, and really loved that part of it, yet never felt safe in that home, even with the security fence around it. I've heard some difficult stories from people, with people scaling fences of homes and being caught on the inside of their home stealing when they entered their home.  Having said that, I don't want to discourage you as Siem Reap is growing 12% a year. I'm just concerned that you are looking at this a bit too optimistically, with no exit plan.  Be careful.  It also gets incredibly hot there beginning April every year.  Good luck!

Hi There....Cambodia has taken another heart. I too love Cambodia, like you have visited quite a few times, and will eventually be spending longer periods there.

My advise, for what it's worth is to, go for it! At the age of 35 if you won't let go of your security now you never will. As you get older you tend get even more anxious about stepping into something new, and getting out of your comfort zone can be scary.......

If you are worried about your mortgage, why not get renters in so that you still have something back home. I'm not sure how things work in the UK but here in Australia we can borrow on the equity of your home.......

I'm not sure about the degree for future work there....I wouldn't really be worried about it though, Vietnam is stricter about this but there's always places that will hire without degrees there. The pay will be lower though..........

Definitely get a TESOL Certificate...this will get you the jobs....It's a great thing to have!    I love teaching English!

Hope I've helped

Carol