Finding job - Perth or Australia experience?

Hi,
We want to move to Australia (particularly to Perth). How is construction field nowadays? Is it very difficult to find a job for an experienced civil engineer there? Is Australia or Perth experience a must? Or does it change? Can anyone give me information?

Hi am Martha from Kenya am a nurse want to study in Australia undergraduate nursing n party time job,any help or with form to apply for a university

For those looking for work in Australia you first need to check if you qualify for a visa. For visa information and applications go to www.immi.gov.au   

For jobs try : seek.com.au 

Work in general is tightening up and companies will give preference to locals over expats. For civil engineering jobs, WA is the only state which has a number of those types of positions available. Qld has a few too. There are a lot of SA working in WA. 

I had an SA tradesman friend who came over to Perth, sat exams to get his tickets changed over to Australian qualifications and left after 6 months because he could not get a job.

Cost of living is high here with Oz having the 6th most highest cost economy in the developed world. Highest real estate prices as well. Taxes through the roof. For cost of living :   

numbeo.com

I sound pessimistic but what I have written is the reality.

We are already eligible and about to get the visa. Thanks for the information. I'm a bit surprised because it doesn't match with the expat policies. Even if you are very qualified and experienced, it doesn't mean anything without local experience. Also, locals in Australia is composed of mixed cultures. Why do they get new migrants then?

beyzaozal wrote:

We are already eligible and about to get the visa. Thanks for the information. I'm a bit surprised because it doesn't match with the expat policies. Even if you are very qualified and experienced, it doesn't mean anything without local experience. Also, locals in Australia is composed of mixed cultures. Why do they get new migrants then?

Good that you have got the visa  (well almost)
I would say that those of mixed culture perhaps were born here or have resided here for many years and are now citizens. Under UN mandates Australia has to take in a certain number of migrants. 
Yes it is hard to get work with a heap of qualifications but no local experience. This is a way for companies to get around telling expats that they do not have a job for them.
I live in Queensland and cannot get a job in Western Australia as companies now want you to reside there before they will consider you for the position offered, even though I have many many years experience.

stumpy wrote:
beyzaozal wrote:

Good that you have got the visa  (well almost)
I would say that those of mixed culture perhaps were born here or have resided here for many years and are now citizens. Under UN mandates Australia has to take in a certain number of migrants. 
Yes it is hard to get work with a heap of qualifications but no local experience. This is a way for companies to get around telling expats that they do not have a job for them.
I live in Queensland and cannot get a job in Western Australia as companies now want you to reside there before they will consider you for the position offered, even though I have many many years experience.

Not all migrants are accepted because of the UN mandate.Skilled Migrants are accepted because there is a shortage of those skills in the industry. Employers are extremely cautious in accepting new mighrant talent in the workforce for various reasons. Employee friendly laws can be one of them. However the mindset is gradually changing. Now a days employers in ICT OR Engineering sector are not as conservative as they used to be.

Thanks for the answers...

Is it really difficult for an experienced expat civil engineer to get a job in Australia? (Of course I know that it changes as per to the persons' qualification or character, but I'm asking it in general)

beyzaozal wrote:

Thanks for the answers...

Is it really difficult for an experienced expat civil engineer to get a job in Australia? (Of course I know that it changes as per to the persons' qualification or character, but I'm asking it in general)

It is getting harder now for expat engineers to get work in Oz. Depends on your experience and qualifications.
Check out this website for work www.seek.com.au