Would love to know some things about Brussels before coming

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum - my boyfriend and I live in London, UK, but are considering taking a job in Brussels in a few months and would love to get to know some things about the city before we do!

Hello woobear!

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Kindly note that a new thread has been created as from your post on the Brussels forum so as to help you get better interactions.

Do not hesitate to ask any particular questions so that members can best give you some tips.

Regards
Kenjee

I lived there for 3 months, and I can tell you it's a great place to be. There's a lot to explore, beautiful things to see, and lots and lots of good things to eat!

totally agree with you !!

Thank you both, that's so reassuring to hear! Where did you live before moving to Brussels?

greece, portugal

Did you find the language a barrier, or do you speak French/Dutch/German? Sorry for all the Qus!

Slightly worried about finding english speaking work (I work in PR/social media)

I was a student, so I wasn't working. But, I have a pretty good grasp of French, so that helped. However, it's an international city, head of EU, lots of tourists, etc, so I don't think having only English will hold you back too much.

i speak french, so no problem but as jones said it's an international city so only with the english language can be perfect !!!

I hope so! We need to sort some temporary accommodation before we find somewhere to rent, is there a good website for this? Probably need a flat for about 1 month

Hello,
Going to be abrupt so don't take this wrong. Only searching jobs using the english language is going to be quite a trying experience. I am american and believe me, I tried to find any sort of work and it took me a LONG time (3 1/2 years) to find work... I managed to find work but only after I had already learned basic french. I tried the slide by un-noticed approach and it didn't go so well. With your experience and job it might be different but I wouldn't count on it. I also looked into doing a start up business and it really wasn't worth the hassle for the benefit.
To start your own business here is really hard and indepth and very very confusing process... Because you are a EU citizen it might be easier for you, as I would have needed a work permit if not for the fact I was in co-habitation with my girlfriend.
As for renting... be-housing.be/en/b/budget-flats-brussels

Hope it helps and sorry for the popping the bubble.