Living in apartment in Riyadh (pros and cons)

Hello!

What do you think is the most struggling thing in Riyadh while living in an apartment?

1. Water? Should be obviously one of the problematic parts, but not everywhere.
2. Centralized gas? Did anyone have problems with gas? Is it uninterrupted or available only periodically?
3. Elevators? How long does it usually take to repair the lift if it's out of service?
4. Electricity?

Please comment and add according to your experience.

I've lived in An apartment in Riyadh.

Never had problem with water or electricity, just make sure you pay your bills

I recommend buying an electric cooker instead of gas so you don't have to keep changing the gas cylinders

Make sure you have elevators. I didn't have any in mine and it was a lot of trouble at times

Thanks for feedback. The place I'm planning to move in has a centralized gas.
I hope for a pleasant stay :)

Your welcome :-)

Hello KOM340,

The main difference between an apartment and a villa in a compound is not in terms of how often you run out of electricity or gas utilities. It is in the complete ' infrastructure' and the 'environment' around you.

Most of the apartments are not very secure in terms of who gets entry into the premises, can you 12 year old kid bicycle around your neighbor hood and what type of people will be gazing at your family females. How comfortable do you feel about your SR 85000 SUV parked out side your residence? How confident do you feel knocking your neighbor's door to get your self introduced to him? When you see a few guys playing Tennis , can you say "Can I join you? so on and so forth..

riazcdki wrote:

Hello KOM340,

The main difference between an apartment and a villa in a compound is not in terms of how often you run out of electricity or gas utilities. It is in the complete ' infrastructure' and the 'environment' around you.

Most of the apartments are not very secure in terms of who gets entry into the premises, can you 12 year old kid bicycle around your neighbor hood and what type of people will be gazing at your family females. How comfortable do you feel about your SR 85000 SUV parked out side your residence? How confident do you feel knocking your neighbor's door to get your self introduced to him? When you see a few guys playing Tennis , can you say "Can I join you? so on and so forth..

Hi, thanks for your feedback, but let me comment you that initially I wasn't comparing the life in a separate apartment and a compound. The question was totally on a different topic.

When it comes to parking and security nearby the neighborhood, I find it quite safe (may be not in places like Hara or Batha), I'm talking about good areas of Riyadh where mostly middle-class people are living.
Yes, I feel confident while knocking the door of my neighbor or vice versa.
When it comes to tennis, even in the compounds, you can not just say Can I join you guys? to a couple who are already playing, tennis is a pair game, right? ;)

Kom 340

You got it! :)

Could you guys recommend a relatively affordable are near Olaya street? My office is between the Kingdom tower and Faisaliyah, pretty much on the corner of Tahlia. I'm not too familiar with the area, is there a neighbourhood within walking distance or a 5 min taxi ride away that would have 1 bed flats and is secure?

Hi ArsalanA, you better check expatriates.com, navigate Housing in Riyadh, there are plenty of options in Olaya area.

Hello ArsalanA and welcome to Expat.com :)

I suggest you to browse through our rental proposals in our section Housing in Riyadh.

This might be helpful!

Regards
Kenjee

Hi, I pay my own rent -having my own business, so the option of an out of compound was not a choice - I pay 35K for a large 3 Bed well maintained apartment on the top floor of a quiet complex in North Riyadh. Its clean, and safe. I have underground parking, and a gym. For the same on a compound I would need to pay over 150K

In terms of people looking at the female members of my family - from what I hear of compound life.... I'd rather have the odd glance!!!

My personal opinions that life is VERY safe in Riyadh, out of compound, and that living on a compound gives you a very distorted view of life.... living in the country for me is about mixing with the people of that country- experiencing life through their eyes, rather than popping to the on compound shop for some breakfast beef bacon before an afternoon pool party and BBQ

I agree BoB-333!Those you have mentioned and some other reasons made me go for an apartment.

I have been living in an apartment for 6 months, but since my wife and kids joined a month ago, i found it really difficult for them. The kids cant go outside and ride their bike or go for a swim or socialize with anyone....the wife is stuck at home all day, and they wait for me to come back from office to take them out to a mall!

i found this routine to be quite depressing and fortunately found a nice affordable compound that i am moving into. it has a gym, a tennis court, basketball court, swimming pool etc. really looking forward to it.

Not all compounds are 100K+, you can find them from 60K upwards.