A DAY IN THE LIFE

Thanks!!!!  I am normally a "take no shit" kinda girl and often handle things well before they escalate. I think Friday I was just out of juice.....LOL

Maybe they key is to get one of those fake casts to keep in the car and if there is line, put it on and grab the crutches!!..:):):)

Sheri

Sheri I actually know someone that has done that to get out of waiting in line for their Cedulas.

BObK

Back to Electricity problems. They certainly continue here on the north coast with Ede Norte basically off line for the last 13 hours (other than  a short period of time from about 3am to 6:s0 or so. Still off line  now.  This 24/7 power is truly just a sick joke.
To make it worse our Generator crapped out at 11 last night as well. and just came back on line about 2 hours ago.  So no power this morning which also meant no water in the casa as the electric pump could not work.
I just got back from breakfast and errands in town and all of Sosua is with out power as well. 
Oh well another day in paradise :D 
Current temp under blazing sun...35 C.  There is what is shaping up to be a major system far to our east and just maybe by weeks end there may be some relief.....One can hope

Bob K

YES, YES, YES WE HAVE RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!  After another sunny, hot day the clouds rolled in around 4PM and we are just finishing a very nice, very heavy, 30 min thunder storm.  The gardens are dancing and the lawn is already turning green! This is the first measurable rain for us here in about a month.

Back to sun tomorrow

BObK

Wow BOB there must be something major going on up there. Here it continues to be crappy electrical service,  almost 7 hours yesterday and  4 this morning.   And no rain in sight.... beautiful blue skies,  38C at the moment which translates into really really hot F. 

Yes that weather system could give us some badly needed rain.....

We had 38 yesterday (100.4F).  Rain is over but a beautiful sunset and a very pleasant evening dining outdoors at  one of our favorite restaurants.

Don't start me on the electric.  No electric for about 9 hours yesterday plus 4 hours earlier in the night.

And today no electric from about 9 this morning to 4:30 this afternoon.  At least is it expensive when we do get it :(

Bob K

Lucky you Bob!
No measurable rain in Cabrera for a month now. :(

I know not all areas got any rain yesterday but for the last two months we have had less than an inch here.  Yesterday's storm left us with 1.6 inches.   It was a nice start but we need showers like that daily for a couple of weeks.

Bob K

The whole country is in a drought.  We are in serious trouble here in the capital.  Lets hope some relief is coming....

The system well to our east that I was hoping to see this weekend is going  no where fast and now tracking seems to be taking it well North of us.  Maybe close enough for some rain especially on the north coast.  You in the south ????

Bob K

Not looking good for the south to get anything. Ayyy mi madre.  we are so dry here...........

Yep back to heat (35 today) and no clouds.  Maybe yesterday was just my imagination.

Bob k

Bob,  Are the communities such as Casa Linda or Hispaniola which rely on well water being affected by the drought?

I am not sure.  But I would imagine so since they are on the main line and less water is being delivered via that line.

Our condo in Cabarete is.

Our villa ( private well) is not

How about you

Bob K

We are not there yet, but we have reserved a lot in Casa Linda to be built this winter.  We were told that Casa Linda has a system of four private wells that are used to replenish cisterns at each villa, and that it is not on the main water line.  But I do not know how deep the wells are or if the water table is dropping during the drought.

Yes the water tables are dropping but most private wells are still ok.

I did not realize that CL had switched. When we rented there years ago it was city water.

Bob K

Quick update - I am getting water from the street today - city water -  first day in the last 9 days I am getting water!  We are in big trouble over here on the south coast.

Keep you fingers crossed for next Tuesday or so.

Bob K

It looks like Bertha will be calling on us here on the north Coast Sunday morning with the center of the storm passing about 70 mils or so off the coast.  So maybe some heavy rains and some wind for us here.  I will have the gardeners put the patio furniture away into the garage today just as a precaution.

You guys on the South may not see much at all.

We did have some light showers over night as well.

Bob K

We are overcast with some thunder a bit offshore, a sprinkle of rain overnight but that is all.  Bertha's current track suggests her coming close to the north coast but it doesn't take much of a shift for her to move more west.   IF she does not strengthen she will stay on this current track.  Expectations are for her to drop up to 6 inches of rain! This would help but it will also cause flooding!

Six inches would be great and not much wind even better. Yes some local street flooding for sure.

Bob K

It is POURING RAIN here in the  capital!!!  Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Hmmmm, Nothing in Cabrera, beautiful day, a few clouds.
10 kph winds 85c.
Come on Bertha!
But not too bad!
:)

They are now saying Bertha has taken more of a turn west - flood advisories for Santo Domingo and east coast.  Rain is good, flood is bad.

Nice day on the beach today and now at 5 the skies are cloudy and lots of thunder.  Maybe some rain soon.

Currently looks like Sunday will be a wash....literally as Bertha will be just off our coast at about 50 miles or so but tropical winds as of 5PM NHC span out 115 miles form the center. So lots of rain and lots o wind for us. All the patio furniture is put away and I will move the last chair and bbq tomorrow.  Local flooding is on tap for sure.

Everyone stay safe.  Remember you most likely will be with out electricity for some time.  So make sure flashlights have batteries, generator is gassed up, inverter is properly tuned, water supply is laid in, and very important you have a car charger for your phone!

Bob K

Bertha be a coming.  She will now pass about 38 miles or less of our coast here in Sosua at 5am or so tomorrow.  Should be lots of rain and some pretty strong winds with sustained in the 30-40 MPH range and gusts much higher.

Last night a heavy shower and today lot of sun.  The calm before the storm sort of thing. Hope the street flooding is not too bad and that things can get back pretty much to normal by Monday.  Of course back to normal except the electricity. Depending on what lines come down it can be a couple of days before that is restored to it's normal bad service.  Last time during a Tropical Storm it took 3 days for it to come back on line. Generator is being filled with fuel today.

Bob K

It is mostly cloudy here in the capital, it is hot and very humid. I am expecting the rain to start later today.

It is interesting that the government has issued alerts for the south and east coasts and nothing (yet) for the north or north east coasts!  they need to get their act together.  Sheeeesh. You guys are clearly going to be getting rain and wind.

Good time to remind people   -  put away everything outside that can be picked up and tossed in the wind!  Clean up everything people.   Make sure to have plenty of fuel if you have a generator,  lots of water,  non perishable foods,  medicines for several days,  dog food and water for them too,   spare batteries etc etc.  And if you have kids make sure you have something to entertain them while they are inside!  Imagine many hours stuck inside with no TV or electronic games............!

Don't forget a car charger (if you have a car) for you phones, laptops, tablets incase you lose power for a long period of time.  This was a life saver for us when we lived in the mountains in Colorado (no generator) and we lost power for a week because of a 7.5 foot snow storm.  At least we were able to communicate  with others on our needs as well as their needs.

BObK

YES great reminder!!! Gas up the vehicles too!

OK yahoo on line weather now takes the cake as the stupid site of the year award or the rest of us are in the dark. UP to an hour ago they were showing the weather for Puerto Plata to be cloudy, rain and thunderstorms for tomorrow.  Now in the face of Tropical storm Bertha they have changed it to mostly sunny and hot and no mention of rain????????????

And to think travelers depend or at least read their crap

Bob K

OMG yes they get the award!!!!!

Hey guys, "Dominican Today.com" has bertha passing right over us early Sunday.
Try clicking on the thing below.
It probably won't work.

[img]3510F3B1-4AEC-4F9D-A73D-BCEB9BD1F1B8.jpg__209__400__CROPz0x209y400[/img]

It is expected to pass north of you but yes you will get heavy rain and some strong winds.

Its currently raining in the capital!!!!

So far sunny and breezy day. System  seems bit ragged right now.  Who know what she will do?

Bob K

Damn women.....LOL  :/

I was not going to say that...just think it :D:D

Yes it will be north of us but the track has slowly drifted south. Last night it was going to be 78 miles off the coast and now the latest at 5PM has it 23 miles off the coast.  Most of the and wind is to the north of the center but we will still see lots of rain and wind.

The last of the patio (upper terrace) furniture and BBQ are now in the living room.

Bob K

Bertha was a bit NO SHOW or MISSING IN ACTION.  We had one heavy shower at about 11 last night, and some light rain showers early this morning and that was it. NO wind, NO heavy rain, NO nada.  A lot of furniture moving for nothing and really did not help the drought situation here at all!  I would be surprised if we had over a half an inch or rain total.

Oh well not the first time a woman has broken my heart :D:D:D

Bob K

Ahhhh Bob, her aftermath is still here. We have had lots of rsin overnigjt and its raining hard right now.