Vintage wrist watches

Hi all,

Do you guys know where I can find some watchmaker shops selling vintage watches (1900-1980)?

Thanks!

In Jeddah you can find some in Balad, which is the old historical part of the city, full of gold and watch shops.  Is there a similar part of town in Riyadh?  If so, they might have some.

But really, for serious collectors of vintage items, this is not the right country.  If you are really interested, you can get vintage watches online, on eBay, or from known websites which sell genuine vintage watches.

Yeah, thanks for the reply.

Thing with ebay is that receiving a package here is like 1 chance out of 1000...

Check here... I saw a few old watches:

http://www.expatriates.com/classifieds/saudi/jewelry

Krysman25 wrote:

Hi all,

Do you guys know where I can find some watchmaker shops selling vintage watches (1900-1980)?

Thanks!

Problem is that you really never know if the watch is really vintage unless you have it's machinery checked.. Like they say fake products.. Also you never know what is in the store for you if you buy a vintage watch from a road side seller in Balad or any other place.. who does not give you a authenticity certificate for the watch..

I would not suggest you buy a vintage watch without having a certificate for it..

Hi! There are Filipino watch technicians in Batha, Electron building maybe you could ask them. I myself is looking for seiko 6139's.

I have purchased watch part mostly in UK and US and i have a 100% turn up using our office PO Box.

Goodluck on the hunt

Hi,
I too have a collection of collector's watches, I regard my self as an expert but I have been cheated in around 50 percent of the cases.

RULE 1.
Some body with rare collection will not be sitting on the road side.

RULE 2.
When ever you are offered a watch, look up the Google for its origin and approximate US price.

RULE 3.
A genuine seller will always give you " 7 days unconditional money back warranty", if he does not , it means there is a catch.

I wish you good luck in purchasing vintage watches.

architectG wrote:

Hi! There are Filipino watch technicians in Batha, Electron building maybe you could ask them. I myself is looking for seiko 6139's.

I have purchased watch part mostly in UK and US and i have a 100% turn up using our office PO Box.

Goodluck on the hunt

I have seen some nice watches on the US market (and much cheaper than Europe ($ lower than euro, it helps) but little bit afraid about the shipping from there to here...I have tried buying twice from France and never received the package in Riyadh!

Thanks anyway for the tips.

I'm sorry to hear about your Saudi Post experience.

Most of my purchase are usually "sign for" if saudi post or via FED EX, are you by any means a member of any International watch forum?

riazcdki wrote:

Hi,
I too have a collection of collector's watches, I regard my self as an expert but I have been cheated in around 50 percent of the cases.

RULE 1.
Some body with rare collection will not be sitting on the road side.

RULE 2.
When ever you are offered a watch, look up the Google for its origin and approximate US price.

RULE 3.
A genuine seller will always give you " 7 days unconditional money back warranty", if he does not , it means there is a catch.

I wish you good luck in purchasing vintage watches.

I find this sentence contradicting :/

Meaning " When an expert is ripped off 50 percent of the times, an Amature will be cheated 90 percent of the times".

Not member of any forum, nope.
I'll try with FedEx next time.

Usually, a quick look at the mechanism and you can be sure whether it is a fake or genuine one. Then, there is always some parts of the watch that could be fake... it is a risk when it comes to old watches!

Krysman25 wrote:

Not member of any forum, nope.
I'll try with FedEx next time.

Usually, a quick look at the mechanism and you can be sure whether it is a fake or genuine one. Then, there is always some parts of the watch that could be fake... it is a risk when it comes to old watches!

May I suggest that you try joining "watchuseek" forum. Yup Fedex, or if you regularly buy from US and need a US address you can use MyUS or SHIPITO for forwarding services.

Like any hobby, "due diligence" is a must and "always buy the seller"

Ok, thanks for the tips ;)

In Jeddah, there is an old mall called Sholla Centra. There are a few shops there where you should be able to get your hands on some vintage/used watches!

Good luck!

Yes Sholla Center has good stuff.

Hi All,

Anywhere in the Riyadh area for vintage / second hand watches (Omega etc.) and other interesting vintage Arabian nick nacks?

Murph

In Akaria Mall along Olaya Road there are shops selling second hand watches.