Some advice please!

Hello!
I currently live in the UK and work as an English Language lecturer at the local university.
I have been offered a job as an English Teacher at a new government facility in Bahrain (don't have an address yet), the pay and benefits seem good and schooling for the children is included. My main reasons for moving is to improve our quality of life and to start saving for the future.
I am a mother of two children (a 5 year old girl and 1 year old boy ) and I sometimes feel like I am taking a huge risk but I think it will be worth it as Bahrain looks amazing. I have done plenty of research on the internet and I think we can settle in well.
The main issues I need advice on are housing and schooling. I would like to rent a villa in a good compound with a multicultural environment and all the modern facilities possible. My budget with 500 BD all inclusive- is that achievable?
Secondly, with regards to schooling, I have done some research I would like to send my daughter to St.Christopher's so a compound near that area (Isa town I think?) would be preferable.
Thirdly, I do not drive and I am very worried this will cause problems, could you tell me if I will be able to get around in taxis or public transport easily?
I have so many other questions (about shipping over stuff, what to bring, maids, baby stuff etc) but for now if someone could help me out with these biggies I would really appreciate it.

P.S. I have not had a start date yet but I am anticipating a September start.

Hello,

With regards to St.Christopher, I am pretty sure there is a waiting list so I suggest contacting the school as soon as possible. Here is a link to their application procedure: http://home.st-chris.net/application-form

For housing, I do not have much personal experience with this topic as my school provides an apartment...I can tell you that my 1 bedroom costs around 450BD all inclusive. However, I know that if you are willing to live out of town, like Isa Town, the prices can be better. But it does depend on the area and what amenities you want. Check this website for options: http://www.bahrainpropertyworld.com

I dislike driving, and when I first arrived I also hoped to use public transportation. However, routes are not well marked, and the buses are not always on time. Most of the people who ride buses are male and as a women I didn't feel comfortable.

Taxis are possible, but can become expensive. Most people I know call a "private driver" to take them places. It costs between 3-5BD depending on the location of your destination. I can recommend a couple of people if you would like. :)

If it is possible I would try and learn to drive before arriving in Bahrain. Renting a car is fairly cheap and it is great to be able to go where you want, when you want.

Hope this helps! :)

Hello!
Thank you got your reply, I have contacted St.Christopher's and they have suggested I fill out an application form and submit my daughters school report which I will go as soon as I have a contract in place.

With regards to housing, can you suggest any compounds which would be suitable near the schooling district?

Thank you!

Please be aware that the Isa Town St Christophers is the Secondary school, the infant and junior school are in Saar.

It will be much easier for you if you are able to drive when you head out here.

When you know where you will be working you will be better able to figure out whereabouts to look for somewhere to live.

HTH
S

Thank you MummyT!

I have decided on Saar which looks very nice. Could you tell me how far is Saar from Manama?

ESLTutor wrote:

Thank you MummyT!

I have decided on Saar which looks very nice. Could you tell me how far is Saar from Manama?

10 minutes drive on a normal day. :)

Bahrain is fairly small and travel times are reasonable.

You will struggle to find a villa in Saar for 500bd inclusive with all the facilities you require.  You need to be looking at a minimum of 700bd for a compound in that area I am afraid.

Yes, I have realised that I need to increase my budget so I have increased it to 700-750, I'm hoping for a 3 bed villa with a garden or fingers crossed a small swimming pool for the kids- do you think that's achievable?

ESLTutor wrote:

Yes, I have realised that I need to increase my budget so I have increased it to 700-750, I'm hoping for a 3 bed villa with a garden or fingers crossed a small swimming pool for the kids- do you think that's achievable?

It is but please be careful about where you choose as the cheaper compounds do tend to have maintenance issues and to be in not such nice areas.  There are a few that I know of in this price range that should suit you.  Have a look at Janabiya as well as Saar - they are next to each other and Janabiya is on the quieter side.

Oh and for schooling don't write off BSB either - they also have a long waiting list especially for that age range but you should not pin your hopes on one school.

Thank you for your advice Scottrace, I have got the ball rolling now that Eid is over, I have applied to St. Chris and if they don't have places I will also look into BSB.
I have also been looking at Janabiya as you suggested and the villas there also look pretty nice but seem to be out of my price range, if it's ok with you I may PM you once I get there and if you could suggest a few places for me to look at I would really appreciate it.

Here is a list of English schools, you might want to check out...
http://www.expatwoman.com/bahrain/month … 11550.aspx:)

ESLTutor wrote:

Thank you for your advice Scottrace, I have got the ball rolling now that Eid is over, I have applied to St. Chris and if they don't have places I will also look into BSB.
I have also been looking at Janabiya as you suggested and the villas there also look pretty nice but seem to be out of my price range, if it's ok with you I may PM you once I get there and if you could suggest a few places for me to look at I would really appreciate it.

Of course you can pm me.  Always happy to help :)

If you have enough time to get a UK driving license, I would give that one a go because it is much more convenient to drive in Bahrain.

Hi there
Try and get ur license in the uk is easier to have it converted.Driving is very essential you could take private classes in Bahrain .
My relatives are quite familiar with Saar and from what I hear you must be careful choosing a place ..700 bd is quite a comfortable budget I can hook u up if u do need any assistance ..
Good luck

Thank you to you all for all the really useful advice, I am now very excited about the move and much happier knowing I can ask all these questions and find answers.

For those of you who have wisely suggested I acquire my drivers license before coming out there...my theory certificate has now expired and there's no way I can get the theory and practical done before September (nervous driver...), it should not be too bad though as initially I anticipated moving by myself with the kids but now I am hoping my partner will move with me (he drives!). He currently works for an international hotel chain at management level with many years experience so we are hoping he will find something when he comes with me which leads me onto my next question ...

If my partner does come to Bahrain as my spouse and is on a husband type resident visa, can he then travel back to the UK as and when he pleases? For example If he is unable to find a job could he come back to the UK after a couple if weeks and work till he does find something in Bahrain?

Would appreciate any help in this area as I'm unfamiliar with the legalities of a spouse visa.

The resident permit given in Bahrain comes with a multiple entry visa. Hence, your partner will be able to travel to and from Bahrain freely as long as the resident permit is valid.

But I am sure he will be able to find suitable employment if he has the experience and background.

Best wishes.

That's great news that your partner is coming too.  Life will be so much easier if there is 2 of you.

Am sure he will find something - there are a million and 1 hotels here :)