Americans Retiring in Malta

Hi,

I would like to retire in Malta without working.

I thought I would apply for a residence card under the Economic Self-Sufficiency option.

But the folks at Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs in Malta inform me that most of these cases are not accepted unless one subscribes to the global residence programme.

Is any American retired in Malta outside of the global residence programme?

Regards,
Donald

Hi Donald,

as a non-EU citizen you do not have the right to 'retire' in Malta even if you are self-sufficient financially. You can only apply for temporary residence that is at the discretion of the Director of the Department. Even then you probably have to leave Malta after 4 years as they normally do not allow non-EU citizens to gain the right to permanent residency after 5 years residence.

It is a difficult situation and similar to the situation of foreigners wishing to retire to the US ( me ! ).

As Malta is now 'selling' their passport ( citizenship) or residence ( High-Networth Scheme) it will probably be difficult to obtain permanent residency otherwise. All the Americans I know had to leave ( or left ) Malta after 2 or 3 years.

The usual way would be to get temporary residency if you comply with the conditions and then try to extend it. Did you actually tell them that you wanted 'permanent' residency ie retirement in Malta?

Cheers
Ricky

I am currently in the process I have filed and waiting they say it will be a couple weeks more, if you have any questions I can help you out let me know or PM me

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for your reply.

In my e-mail contact I did tell them that the purpose of my stay would be to retire.

The temporary residence option sounds like the best way to go at this point.

I will check into that.

Regards,
Donald

Hi Jvaughn,

In your process of applying for permanent residence have you submitted the ID 1A Identity Registration Form and Economic Self-Sufficiency (Form  K)?

If not, what forms and documents did you submit?

Thanks.

Regards,
Donald

Hi Donald,

the Guidelines for residency for TCN's can be found under :

http://mhas.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Information/ … 014%29.pdf

I noticed that the Guidelines have been amended recently and now include the statement that temporary residency time does not count towards the 5 years period required to apply for long-term residency. This is new! It was a rule in the past but never actually written!

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Ricky,

I will take a look.
Many thanks.

Regards,
Donald