Leaving Hungary

Can anyone help with the procedures for leaving the country for another EU one? I visited four different govt offices and was told four different stories.
- I was paying for my own TAJ. The conclusion from the four offices was that I should just stop paying. There was no way for them to stop this for me. Is that really true?
- They said I had to leave my address card and EU registration card because it was easier that way? What does that mean? Why do I have to leave these cards? What would happen if I kept them?
- How do I deregister my tax number?
Thanks for the help.

Jolin,

As far as the Health Card (that includes your Health Care ID number or 'TAJ' in Hungarian) has an expiry date and if you stop paying it, then it will expire.

For the registration + address card you'd better go to this office: Immigration Office of Békéscsaba, Address 5600 Békéscsaba, Kétegyházi út 10 . Telephone: (66) 523 700. Then tell them you are leaving Hungary. This might be the referenced 'leave them the card'. Albeit, to avoid taxation issue and to be able to duly register yourself in at least the DACH countries (see Austria, Switzerland, Germany). Do insist to get an official proof that you have been deregistered!

For tax card and status deregistration. You must go to the nearest tax office. That shall be this one for Békéscsaba. Then deregister and get their stamp and signature as a proof that it has been withdrawn. N.B. I bet you shall clear your tax status first, i.e. pay anything that is due.

Hope this helps to clear your way out!

Cheers,

Dez