New members of the USA forum, introduce yourself here

Miroucha wrote:

hey i'm amira from tunisia , i was selected in dv-lottery 2014 i'm planning to move to usa , i'm looking for a paid internship in IT and a place to live  .i have some friends from internet they advise me to go to florida ! unfortunately i don't know anybody there so i would be grateful  if there's anyone here who can help me or give me some advises  :)

what about Austin, TX, it's pretty good in IT also Houston too. I dont know for Florida but I know the job market is really good in Texas, especially in IT.

Hi, I'm Ally. I worked here in West Texas for almost a year. I come from Malaysia. Nice to meet everyone here!

Hi

Im Roxie, currently live in north london and am looking to relocate to Deltona, FL with my husband. We have family in florida and am currently doing the paperwork for green cards and searching for jobs..
Im in new homes sales and my husband is a postman. Any help or advice would be a great help :)

Thanks

Hi all!
I'm Maria, Italian currently living in Malta. I won the Green Card so I will move to California (LA area) in Sept. 2014!
Looking for every useful info about schools (I have a 4 years old daughter) and housing!
Cheers
Maria

Hi, Congratulations. Will also be moving to Los Angeles by March 2015 and also require info on school. Have a 10 year old daughter and three year old son.

hi, my name is Dion

i want to further my studies in the USA as a tour operator. what can i do to apply for internships available to assist me with payments of accommodation and transportation to the work field. or if there is anyway i can download the application forms online, please let me know how i can get my hands on them.
thank you for the opportunity!

kind regrades

hi, my name is Richie
i want to further my studies in
the USA science related programs.
what can i do to apply for
internships available to assist
me with payments of
accommodation and
transportation to the work
field. or if there is anyway i
can download the application
forms online, please let me
know how i can get my hands
on them.
kind regrades

I just wanna visit central park and have a cup of tea or coffee in a nice cafeteria in Manhathan...
Walk early morning there, it's like a small simple dream.
Yes i wanna check the woods there, it's like there is more nature in there...
Thank you,

Hey, my name is Miguel. I was born in Venezuela in 1995, and when I was just 4 years old was taken to North Carolina in the persyit of a better life. And we got it! After some citizenship difficulties 9 years later, we ended up coming to Madrid where I have been for almost six years, but since the day I got off the plane, all I have dreamed about is the day when I can go back to the states. I am now waiter-bartender in Madrid center, I also have abundant experience in places, from restaurants and bars, to night clubs.

Hi all - I've just moved to NYC and will be here for sometime. Hope to meet some good friends here :)

Hi,
My name is Zarina I live in Tanzania and currently Im employeed.I always wish to go to USA  but I dont know how to reach there.I have applied for the green card several time but never been lucky.My dream and ambition is to live in USA.
Thanks

Hi Maria,congratulation.how did you manage to win the green card?i tried so many time but I never got a chance.Please share with me the technics you used.

Dion Ubisi wrote:

hi, my name is Dion

i want to further my studies in the USA as a tour operator. what can i do to apply for internships available to assist me with payments of accommodation and transportation to the work field. or if there is anyway i can download the application forms online, please let me know how i can get my hands on them.

kind regrades

Are you saying that you want a job conducting tours of a place where you don't live?

pearlina wrote:

I just wanna visit central park and have a cup of tea or coffee in a nice cafeteria in Manhathan...
Walk early morning there, it's like a small simple dream.
Yes i wanna check the woods there, it's like there is more nature in there...
Thank you,

There is far more nature outside of the city.  Go up the Hudson half an hour and there's plenty.

Hello, I am yaz. I have been in the US some 32 years now. I can here when I was 2. I joined this community as a way to see if a subtle yet real sense of isolation need not necessarily be my personal norm.

Hello. I'm seyina chia (26) from Nigeria. I'm currently an undergraduate. I believe entertainment is my thing but due to limited opportunities I can't really live my dream here. America has ever been my dream country and as such I won't missuse any opportunity.

It is not, Yaz.  A sense of isolation is a reality for most of us. A small, or not any more so small, example is the meet-up group in Seattle called anti-freeze. They didn't mean the climate when naming the group. It has meanwhile thousands of members.

I am hoping to see if similar groups in Boston exist. Glad to know its common at least...thanks.

you could found such a group within meetup in your city, you'll be surprised how many will join. Are you familiar with meetup.com?

I have moved from Munich, Germany to Woodstock NY in the US in the eighties and have lived here ever since and raised my family this town. Its a wonderful community of many artists and others who follow an alternative way of life.  The group of artists of Byrdcliffe who founded this town early in the twentieth century are long gone, and so are most of the hippies who lingered on after the famous music festival in the sixties...which by the way, did not happen here, but some fifty miles away, it only bore its name. When I arrived here in the eighties, I was quite disappointed. I saw a shabby small town that had no sidewalks. In the air was a horrible stench, because the sewer system had not been built yet. I wanted to turn around on the spot and go back to Germany. This was not the Woodstock I had imagined, where Bob Dylan, Jimmy Hendrix and The Band had lived. I had envisioned an otherworldly place filled with glittering rainbows and patchouli smells. But soon later, Woodstock got its sidewalks and a fancy sewer system that works very well. Now it has become a haven for people seeking an escape from their lives in the city, to relax and cruise around on the weekend to spot a couple of deer or even a bear. My garden buzzes with hummingbirds who fight over the red bee balm and a chipmunk lives under my porch and nibbles on crumbs left from crackers I ate the day before. I just finished a pastel painting of the hummingbird in my garden. I had to look him up online, you cant see his wings, they rotate so fast, its a blur, but his eyes are intense, he seems to see everything.
Last week I went to see Carl Maria von Weber's grand Romantic Opera, Euryanthe at the the Fischer Center for the Performing Arts at Bard College which is just across the Hudson River. They have outstanding and unusual world class artistic presentations in their summer program in a magnificent building.  It was sung in German with English surtitles. I had not heard Weber 's music for a long time and was blown away by its power, beauty and perfection. This opera is rarely performed, because it has a somewhat weak libretto and an odd scene in the finale. The story is not strong enough and is confusing. Some people in the audience bust into laughter, thinking perhaps it was a soap opera, until there was gore and blood. The music more than made up for this lack. The staging was beautifully done in costumes and in design. I would have preferred a little more color in the costumes of the chorus. They were dressed in the blandest, most boring grey you can possibly get. It was supposed to demonstrate the Victorian culture with its oppressive mindset. But I felt it was hard to look at for three hours. Some scenes could have benefited from better lighting effects especially around the ghost and the crypt to make it look more eerie. Still, it was a enormous treat to watch this live performance. The music of Weber  rings in my ears. The sounds he created stir the depth of my German soul, which had been mostly forgotten. You can find the overture of Euryanthe on YouTube and a description on Wikipedia, but I have not found a recording of it. This was one of the  treats one can find in this area.

I remember fondly camping (if you can call it that) in the mud for a glorious weekend.  It was the mother of all concerts and forever will be part of music folklore.

Bob K

The spirit of Woodstock lives on...a little toned down though, and less mud. Glad you were there. My friend Elliott Landy took  those famous pictures of the crowd. You may be in one of them.

Jeff from Singapore

Got anything to say or add Jeff from Singapore :D

Bob K

[ Moderated : Off topic, inappropriate on this forum ]

Hi all:

I was an expat in Germany for many years, but have been living stateside for some time now.

I'm traveling to Aruba tomorrow (August 4, 2014) solo, and hoping to connect with some expats while there. If anyone would be willing or who knows anyone in Aruba that I might contact, please pass on that info. Hoping to do some snorkling, scuba and get into the groove of 'island time.'

Thanks all...

Ciao!

Marianne

Carol first off welcome to the forum.  Aruba is one of my favorite places in the Caribbean and it had been a bit bigger we may have ended up there rather than in the Dominican Republic.  Have a great trip

Now NEVER and I do mean NEVER put your personal information (cell number, email etc) out on a public forum.  You are just asking for trouble not to mention the multitude of unwanted contacts.

Bob K

Carol you might also want to post this (minus your cell number) in the Aruba forum:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=691

Bob K

Thanks for the advice...

Marianne

Thanks!

my name is Williams am from USA and am here to sale some items

my name is williams anderson in usa

Hi,
I am in new York city.
I will be happy to meet you some time.
JJeman

yahuuuuuuuu....i m Liem, from Viet Nam, how about VietNam? :))

Hello Sir I am from Philippines. In I am finding a job now any job I am willing to work abroad.

am SEUN am from Nigeria am single not married I will to move to USA to work and live there and show my skills

Hello!  :gloria

I'm 27, French and graphic designer. (6 years exp / Freelance now)
I speak spanish too, because I grew up in dominican republic.
I'll be a student again in october to complete my professional profile. (webmarketing & community management)
And I'm preparing for moving next year to Los Angeles, to join the UCLA Extension.

I'll be reading the forum to know more about other's experiences... (and to practice english!  ;) )

Hello, Cynthia here from the Great Lake State of Michigan. Born in Detroit of British parents I've lived here all my life. I happened on your site trying to locate relatives living in Africa. Last known address Bulawayo. I would like to welcome all of you to my country. It's large, diverse, controversy and fascinating. My parents arrived in the States during the great depression of 1929; hard to believe it was so long ago. If there is any information I can share with you to make you feel more at home I'll try.

elynovgs  welcome to the forum.

It is a small world I was born in the US and lived there most of my life and now for the last 8+ years have been living in Dominican Republic full time.

Bob K

If you are moving for a better life, you better choose a less expensive city such as Chicago or suburbs. Don't get me wrong, I love NYC, but to have a decent life is quite expensive!

Closed