Top hiring sectors in Sharm el Sheikh

Hi,

let's talk about job opportunities in Sharm el Sheikh.

What are the top hiring sectors?

And according to you, what are the most promising job sectors, which will keep creating jobs in Sharm el Sheikh?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience,

Julien

Really Sharm is not a good place to come to look for work.  Diving is the top industry really but not well paid.  As a foreigner work permits are hard to get but not impossible.  Also there is opportunity for Travel Reps but you really need to contact and work for an agency and get a posting here.  There is opportunity for entrepreneurs but you have to battle some red tape.  Property ownership and rental has been good but Sharm is currently experiencing a severe drop in tourism, unfortunately because it is so beautiful and safe see:-
diving-in-sharm-el-sheikh.co.uk
click on 'Sharm articles' then 'Safety'

also sharmwomen.com has a jobs available section as well as other useful advice.

hope this helps

Hi I want to come and live in Sharm el Sheikh Nabq area and I will need a job so I have few questions that need answering please. I know I need a work permit to work in Egypt so where do I get one from.

What happens if I can't get a job do I just keep renewing my work permit and hope that eventually I find a job. In England I am a Nurse but I am prepared to do any job that will pay me a wage to live out there not necessarily a nursing job

I did think of Hotel work for English people to sort out any problems they may have within the Hotel or even a Rep.

Thanks

Hey there !

I worked in sharm for 6 months and its amazing over there..i would advice to search for a job as a tour rep for either Thomas Cook, or Youtravel..both are great companies that work exclusively in this arena... let me know if u are interested still and maybe i can hock you up with some of my friends over there

Just to clarify my experience in Sharm regards working I have observed the following:-
Simply getting a job out here is not that simple.  Your best bet is to work for a company in your own country and get a posting here (basically find a company in your own country that works in the area you want) such as tour companies etc.
You can get cash in hand work but usually this is not well paid and you will have long hours and no rights and will be technically illegal.  The legal options are to get a work permit (but these are limited and must be sponsored by a company registered in Sharm also you may be expected to pay for this - approx 6000 Le currently) or alternatively set up your own business, not too complicated and from what I hear less expensive than a work permit, but you will need a good solicitor and a business registration is not a permit to work for another company or in other words BE employed!  Also this is a kind of sole trader or small/home based business with no employees.  To set up a business that employs people is much more expensive and complicated and you will be required to have an Egyptian business partner.  You will also be expected to employ Egyptian staff at a ratio of up to 10 - 1 and arrange work permits for any foreign workers.
Diving has always been a major source of foreign employment but this is becoming more and more complicated.  You will need sponsorship from a dive centre, proof of a 'high school' education which must be translated into Arabic trips to El Tor and you will probably be expected to pay approx 6000 Le or 600 GBP to your employing company.  You will also need to pass a CDWS (Chamber of Diving and Water Sports) exam and pay for a CDWS card - another 100Le.  The work permit will probably have to be renewed at least twice a year - the fee is still about 6000Le for the year but involves another trip to El Tor and a one year permit may only last 9 - 12 months depending on your entry visa dates and application dates.  Whatever you do dont just move here and expect to get work.
The other alternative you will probably be offered, if female, is to marry an Egyptian.  This is up to you and depends on your personal values.  But for me work is work and relationships are relationships.  I would never sacrifice one for the other or relate the two - and there will probably be 'hidden costs'.  This is not a comment on Egyptian men but merely an observation on separating relationships from work permits and considering carefully before entering into any relationship - and doing it for the right reasons.

Please also bear in mind that out here work can be on an 'as needed' basis, meaning that even with a work permit you may only get work when you are needed.  When you are not needed you will have a day off, maybe at a few hours notice and without pay.  Generally forget about holiday pay, sick pay or guaranteed monthly income or employment periods.

In summary it is becoming harder and harder for ex-pats to get work and there is, due to the current political situation less tourists and therefore less work.

It would be great if the situation settles, the politicians begin to realise the value of ex-pats, the tourists, and the business and tourist income ex-pat workers contribute.  For my mind make it easy for ex-pats to work and let them pay tax.  This would bring income for all in Sharm, locals and expats alike and we could all prosper. - but dont hold your breath :)

You can read more about my personal experiences and follow my personal blog of moving to and living and working in Sharm el Sheikh, which is linked and featured in expat-blog via expat-blog or directly at www.divinginsharmelsheikh.wordpress.com

Thanks again to expat-blog - what an awesome site :)

Hi Rosy,

Thanks for recommending this Expat.com website and the website www.diving-in-sharm-el-sheikh.co.uk. It's very accurate and makes an interesting read so I now recommend it to all my friends in the UK instead of writing long emails trying to explain Sharm to them. I shall, also, be definitely following your blog with interest. If I may, can I also mention another website I've found helpful www.sharmupfront.com.

Regards
Divingshrimp

Hey divingshrimp (I thought all shrimps dived)  :) thanks for the support and for following my blog.  welcome to expat-blog it truly is a superb blog site recommend it to your friends as well as my blog :)
Rosy

"alternatively set up your own business, not too complicated and from what I hear less expensive than a work permit," Can you give examples for such businesses if you please..

I do agree on some points and info you have shared..like tour companies, chain hotels or real estate ..and yes the business in the city of sharm nowadays is not looking that good but thats only for a short period as very soon the political situation will be much more stable...

And btw i have witnessed allot of guests getting hired in the Animation and Guest relations during their holiday here but ofcourse they had to go thru a hassle for paper work and permits and so..

I wanted to open a business for myself over there whilst i was working but the situation back then was really hard ... it was more like ghost town.

So if u can share some ideas about that small businesses please share.
Thank you

[moderated: avoid doing copy paste post pls]