Registering a birth in Guatemala

Hi,

About to have a baby or already had children? Let's share your experience about the paperworks for registering a birth in Guatemala.

What are the formalities to obtain a birth certificate?

What is the procedure to follow if both parents are of the same nationality or for a mixed couple?

Thank you in advance for participating,

David

I have 2 children in Guatemala.. it is pretty easy to register them.. When they are born.. either with a mid-wife or at an hospital.. you get a birth certificate from the mid wife or the hospital ( I have both cases) and took them to the city where they are born to register them in Guatemala.. They will have both of your name mother and father ... Then if you are foreigner you have to take it to your embassy to register them as well...if you are a mix couple register them in Guatemala and at your partner embassy.
To get a copy of the both certificate it is pretty easy.. and quick.. as soon as you can get them a Guatemalan passport when you come back from a trip they will reenter Guatemala with their Guatemalan passport

Hi armandatitlan,

Thank you for the sharing of information :)

Have a nice day,

Hasnaa
Expat.com Team

hello

armandatitlan
how long have you been in guatemala?i have been here for less than a month short of one yr. to try to get temporary residensy i have been given the run around. being that you have to do everything in the capitol and i live 14 hours away thats an expensive headache, we went ans stayed for 2 days trying to get things done and nothing. i have a child thats already a guatemala citzen and im married to a guatemala citizen but we were married in the usa and didnt think t register our marriage. now that we are here we have not even been ab to do that. now i just found out that i am pregnant and really dont know what to expect when tying to register the birth. since you have experience in having kids in this country i would love to be able to really speak with you. if you feel comfortable please email me at [email protected].
also anyone else that has experience with this please also feel free to email me
right now im lost, confused and irritated with the guatemalan system

Send you a private message. Don't get irritated it doesn't help for your new kid..
If you are married in the US and you didn't registered it... you mean in the US? if it is not registered how can you be married.. Any way you can have easely residency having children Guatemalan and plus if you are married in the US you can registered your marriage here in Guatemala. be careful when doing that as you need to define under which regimen you will be married..
check this link
http://www.migracion.gob.gt/index.php/c … on/30.html

It is for residency por hijos..

we got married in the united states bt didnt register our marriage in guatemala thinking it would be easier to do it once we came here. now that we are here its impossible to do.
we went to immigration and they would not help with anything. we also went to ministerio de relaciones to register our marriage and was told it had to be done i the united states since thats where we got married but yet in the website it says they do register marriages

what did you have to do to register the birth of your children? what documentation did you have to bring?