Saudia City Jeddah

Hi my husband and I shall be moving to Saudia City this August, can anyone tell us what it is like there? What facilities are there that are in use, I have read there was a cinema but that is now closed, swimming pools are now dry...is this true? Any information would be gratefully received.  Also where is there to go in Jeddah, restaurants? Beach clubs? We really have no idea, but we are sure it will be an adventure :):par:

Saudia City is a bedroom community, at least that's how I'd like to call it. Back in the 80s up to mid 90s it used to be the happening place as one of the leading compounds.

There is no cinema there unless someone was running it from their villa, some of the houses are outdated and some are renovated. They have a supermarket inside along with 2 good restaurants that are almost like a café. Weekend is usually packed and service is slow including for sheesha.

Swimming pools are not dry, you will always find people using them.

Beaches recommended here are at resorts as it's more liberal. As for clubs, I'm a resident DJ at club underground (hottest club in Jeddah) minimum spending $100 but since you posted here I will get you in for free for the first visit.

hope that helps.

Pools are OK, central pool sometimes is not very clean due to floating remains of sandviches, pools near motel are more quiet. But it depends in which part of compound you will live.
Cinema was built long time ago but never used, all public parties were banned two years ago. It is not a western compound anymore.

Thanks for your replies Hamudi and Which Witch, it gives us a bit of a heads up what to expect. Just hope we are in a renovated part! Do you know if the resorts do a membership package or whether it is just daily rates? Thanks in advance.

Yes they do membership packages. But this makes sense if you plan spend every weekend there or want to keep your own yacht or jet-ski there. Otherwise pay-and-go is the best option. Note that all beaches (I mean beaches - where you can swim and sunbath, and not only sit in "cabin" and eat) are in North Obhur - approx 40-50km from Saudia city, not very suitable for visiting every afternoon due to heavy traffic.

They are not that far.  They are about 25-30 km from Saudia City.  It takes half an hour.

Ok thanks Which Witch and Trapezuis for the information on beach clubs, I guess we will have to weigh up the pros and cons of membership once we are there. Any idea of membership prices for a couple?

I heared Silver Sands yearly membership costs 5000sr/person, 10000/family. It is not a club, just a sandy beach, opened from 8am till 6:30. Not suitable for diving/snorkeling.
La Plage membership costs 1000sr/family but you still pay 100sr per day entry, and for evening activities you pay extra.
You should check one of the three Sheraton beaches with good audience and great coral reefs. Don't know membership prices there.
There are many others costing from 2000sr, but mostly used by locals and not bikini friendly.

Thank you Which Witch, thats really helpful to know.

Which Witch wrote:

I heared Silver Sands yearly membership costs 5000sr/person, 10000/family. It is not a club, just a sandy beach, opened from 8am till 6:30. Not suitable for diving/snorkeling.
La Plage membership costs 1000sr/family but you still pay 100sr per day entry, and for evening activities you pay extra.
You should check one of the three Sheraton beaches with good audience and great coral reefs. Don't know membership prices there.
There are many others costing from 2000sr, but mostly used by locals and not bikini friendly.

Or , chip in with a few other family and get a chalet that costs about 120-200K/year. It's just a hassle to plan any events :D

And yes - for those who messaged me to attend my super secret parties it is important to know that admittance is only if you have approval from Ministry of Interior.

[Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls + register in the business directory]

Saudia City certainly isn't the western compound that it used to be, the demographics have changed dramatically. They have even gotten to the stage where they have banned pets such as dogs and cats, not be mention ducks chickens and goats.
Assuming that as you are moving across the country, you might be working for a certain US company in a teaching capacity, if this is the case, ask them to house you in a different compound, saudia city just isn't worth it anymore.

Hi Karen,

I reside in Saudi City and it has been more than an year since I am here. I had a look at a number compounds before choosing this one and I don't regret moving here at all.

Most of the compounds I checked out were just a cluster of 10 to 40 villas and not worth being called compounds. Saudi City is a proper compound having all the necessities of living a reasonable life. Pools, super market, chemist shop, dry cleaner, coffee shops, parks, gymnasiums, green belts can all be found in the compound.  The compound residents are a mix of many nationalities so you would most probably be able to find a number of individuals from your home country. Also if you are going to reside alone, you would be able to find a number of individuals living with a single status and may have the same professional back ground. Another plus of the compound is its location in the city which is quite central. The compound also has its own Taxi service allowing you to move around Jeddah quite easily.

The only downside I experienced is the age of the structures. They are the oldest in Jeddah I believe, but the ones renovated properly don't give you that feeling for some time at least  :) .

As somurchu mentioned rightly, I have come across certain announcements banning pets but no body seems to care about it and I see pets every day on the roads. Also I am not sure what additional benefit is one able to extract from a "western compound" that you can not get in a "compound"   :/  . 

Best of luck in shifting.

@ latheefshan .... the last I met you, you were a guy and here I see you as a female  :o . And you have moved from the US  :/ , that's a surprise .....

Jokes aside, Latheef had been very helpful in showing me a number of compounds when I reached Jeddah, am grateful to him for that.

BAK wrote:

Also I am not sure what additional benefit is one able to extract from a "western compound" that you can not get in a "compound"   :/  .

Public parties with live music like one is going to happen next weekend in Sierra

Hi
Thanks for your highlighting
Good luck See you soon

@ Which Witch. You are right with that, haven't seen a public party at Saudi City though have noticed some private parties at some houses. Just out of curiosity, how frequent are these public parties in a particular western compound ?

If eight out of ten females walking in compound or even sitting at the pool are completely covered - it says a lot about the social atmosphere.

haven't seen a public party at Saudi City though have noticed some private parties at some houses

We used to have them, also prayer meetings..... but as i said, the demographics changed, so all of these were stopped. Also there was something in the compound called "respect", unfortunately thats gone, now young children are getting comments like "i hope you die because you are a christian"..... Sad but true.

Really sad to hear that. I have also come across a number of rude teenagers and even complained against them but the security guys are too busy doing nothing and nothing was done about it.

By the way who stopped you from doing things you wanted to ?

saudia city is a good place to live in ,you will make lots of friends from all over the world.
there is swimming pools, play ground and it is some how open area inside.
there are lots of nationals living there and they are very happy.

Saudia City is a huge compound. This will give you freedom to walk long distances without abaya when the weather is nice (=winter). I have lived there for the last 4 years. It is true there are no more parties allowed now. The cinema was built but never allowed to be used, it's just an empty building. Security people are tough as there are literally no rules. Sometimes they let your guests in and sometimes don't, you need to speak to their supervisor every now and then. There are many pools: for families, for ladies, etc. all very big. They are not dry! If you have kids, there is a playground and two nurseries, very convenient. At the Star Market you can find most of the items you need. I see it more like place to socialize and meet your neighbors than a proper supermarket :-) Otherwise, right outside the compound there is a Danube supermarket open 24/7.

There is also a nice gym with tennis courts, a laundry, a car rental company (useful until your husband gets a car), a couple of cafes that keep changing owners and style constantly ;-), house of donuts and a taxi company. As a woman, you will be using the taxi company a lot. Any ride inside the compound costs 5 SAR. Outside it depends on the area, there are no meters, only fixed rates. Those taxis are much cleaner than the ones you stop on the street.

Nowadays there is an issue in the compound about teenagers driving quads dangerously. We reported it many times to security but it has been useless, just be careful with them!

Regarding beaches, La Plage and Silver Sands are both nice, also Sheraton. We never paid for a membership because it is only worth it if you go every weekend.

Thanks lana79 for your advice and comments, it's good to know, maybe we will meet in Star supermarket one day :).

Thanks Maher10a you have eased my concerns about Saudi City :) we are looking forward to being there soon :)

lana79 wrote:

Saudia City is a huge compound. This will give you freedom to walk long distances without abaya when the weather is nice (=winter). I have lived there for the last 4 years. It is true there are no more parties allowed now. The cinema was built but never allowed to be used, it's just an empty building. Security people are tough as there are literally no rules. Sometimes they let your guests in and sometimes don't, you need to speak to their supervisor every now and then. There are many pools: for families, for ladies, etc. all very big. They are not dry! If you have kids, there is a playground and two nurseries, very convenient. At the Star Market you can find most of the items you need. I see it more like place to socialize and meet your neighbors than a proper supermarket :-) Otherwise, right outside the compound there is a Danube supermarket open 24/7.

There is also a nice gym with tennis courts, a laundry, a car rental company (useful until your husband gets a car), a couple of cafes that keep changing owners and style constantly ;-), house of donuts and a taxi company. As a woman, you will be using the taxi company a lot. Any ride inside the compound costs 5 SAR. Outside it depends on the area, there are no meters, only fixed rates. Those taxis are much cleaner than the ones you stop on the street.

Nowadays there is an issue in the compound about teenagers driving quads dangerously. We reported it many times to security but it has been useless, just be careful with them!

Regarding beaches, La Plage and Silver Sands are both nice, also Sheraton. We never paid for a membership because it is only worth it if you go every weekend.

Very useful post !

Please take my input too!

I have never ever seen a muslim ( including saudis, arabs, and non-arabs) humiliating or insulting any body because he or she was a Christian or any other kind of non-muslim. I do not know, other members may have experienced the contrary but I will find it very disturbing if it is true.

:offtopic: but I've seen it, heard it. This world is a full of surprises.

:) I have my travel arranged and shall arrive 19th August. Looking forward to the start of a new adventure.

Can you tell me which employer houses employees on Saudia City?

Hi Karen!

My husband and I are both moving to Jeddah too and will be living on Saudia City as well.

Thanks for your post! It was helpful. Hopefully we will meet soon!

Moving to Saudia City too.

Rareshine many of the families who live in Saudi City work for the Saudia Airlines, though there are a few others there

Hello I am curious where is this underground club? I have been in Jeddah for 8 months but I haven't of an underground club.

dotcruz wrote:

Hello I am curious where is this underground club? I have been in Jeddah for 8 months but I haven't of an underground club.

There is no underground club in Jeddah, what might be meant is; few people had prepared their basement floor in few compounds to be a dancing floor.
If you ever find this underground club, please tell me!

Hi
jeddah nice city with kind people
Don't listen to other check by your self.

Explore jeddah

dbehary wrote:

There is no underground club in Jeddah, what might be meant is; few people had prepared their basement floor in few compounds to be a dancing floor.

Ignorance is a bliss....

hamudi wrote:
dbehary wrote:

Ignorance is a bliss....

Enlighten us Hamudi :)

In all honesty though; is your club merely a dance club? Or do they engage in outdoor activities as well?

simplyaddo wrote:

In all honesty though; is your club merely a dance club? Or do they engage in outdoor activities as well?

All sorts....outdoor activities are unlimited .... such as orgy in the desert let me know if you are up for it  :whistle:

hamudi wrote:
simplyaddo wrote:

All sorts....outdoor activities are unlimited .... such as orgy in the desert let me know if you are up for it  :whistle:

Funny :) You are part of the Backpackers, I presume?