How is life in Sharjah for a woman?

Hello I have been offered a job in Sharjah and I just want to know what it's like to live there, ie do they have gyms, cafes etc and is it ok for women to go out by themselves?
Also dress code for women ?

Hello Aisha1! Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

While waiting for members to give you best advice, I suggest you to browse through Sharjah Forum and participate on threads so as to gather other useful informations and meet other expats.

Regards
Kenjee

Ok that's great thank you for the advice

Hi Aisha,
Sharjah is a quite place comparing with Dubai but i preffer it.
You can find gyms,coffeshops and sure you can go out alone. as for the dress code,its good if you stay decent.
Wish you best of luck and hope you will enjoy it.

Hello
Thanks for getting back to me, great and useful information .
Are u allowed to wear jeans, leggings etc? Obviously I'm aware of the culture there etc but just thought id ask

Hi,
This is a islamic country. Religious values are much appreciated. Again regarding dress code , as such there is no such restriction in whatever you asked. However the nice dress you wear the most respectful person you will be.
Here culture is people respect you more if you wear a respectful dress.
Good luck for you...

Ok thank you people for letting me know and the useful advice about it too, I shall be visiting Dubai for one week for a holiday so I can check it out and then see what my work situation pans out to be.

Thank u all
Once again

To be clear; Dubai and Sharjah are VERY VERY different.

In Dubai, in predominantly expat areas i.e. Marina, Springs, Meadows, Down Town; nothing short of bikinis or really skimpy stuff would raise eyebrows.  And sometimes, not even that.  I remember seeing a few women while grocery shopping in spinneys in Meadows area on a Saturday who would probably be considered indecent in Europe!!.  But generally shorts and sleeveless is not an issue in most parts of Dubai (read anything after Bur Dubai i.e. Downtown on-wards towards Marina).

Sharjah on the other hand is much more restrictive than Dubai.  There is no alochol, night clubs or bars.  Cohabitation with members of opposite sex is not allowed (like Dubai) but unlike Dubai, police do enforce it or do checks.  From a dress code stand point, it's best to be on the safe side.  Jeans, tshirts or shirts etc would be ok.  Try not to expose your legs or shoulders.  While nothing may happen, you will get stared at (higher population of locals and low income expats from sub continent in Sharjah).

Sharjah it's the best place to be for living. It's a decent if you want to have that faithful safe experience.

I mean most of your life you lived in England so I guess it's a time to try new culture for good.

In case if the offer is good enough for you that i'm advising to go forward ahead as well.

by the weekends you can visit Dubai if you want to change the mood since it's very near from Sharjah.

be with a good friends to hang out and try new things in your life that it's match with middle east.

Hopefully you have safe staying in UAE.

All the best.