Going to New Zealand

Hi Everyone,

My husband received a job offer at a company in Wellington after emailing a lot of NZ companies. He does Rope Access/Abseiling. The owner of the company has sent him his job offer and has also filled in the Employer Supplementary Form. In this he states that he has trained guys from New Zealand but once they have received training, they up and leave to go overseas and therefore he is wasting his money on training these guys. He has also stated that he has advertised for this position since last year on three occasions in Trade Me.

We are wanting to go over to NZ in two weeks on visitors visas and apply for working visa from there as apparently it takes quicker and is cheaper to get the medical done. My question is what are the chances of the visa getting declined? We are just worried, we get there and get a place and the visa gets declined and then what? Our other option is applying from here but then we are worried that the employer wont be happy waiting that long for my husband to get there and meet him etc....

Has anyone applied for their work visa from South Africa before or from NZ? How long has it taken for your visas to get processed?

Thanks so much!!

Also - we are battling to find short term accommodation as this would be ideal so that we can scout the area once we are there instead of going straight into a long term rental. Paying the 3 weeks deposit plus two weeks rent is quite a lot especially since my husband wont be working until his visa gets approved so if anyone knows of any websites other than trade me and gumtree, please let me know.

Thanks!!

Hi Crooks Family,

I have created a new thread with your questions on the Wellington forum in order to give much more importance to them and for increasing your chances of obtaining essential information.

Have a nice day

Priscilla  :cheers:

Welcome to New Zealand. Housing is an agonizing struggle, regardless.

Gumtree.co.nz only has listings for Auckland, and many are the "flat: wanted" variety, so I would skip it, personally. There is also realestate.co.nz (click on the "Rentals" tab), but their listings are almost always a very small subset of listings on TradeMe anyway, and they tend to be high-end properties.

Trademe.co.nz is the authoritative source, period. You can find a few listings that might be suitable and then note the property management company, if any, and then go to that company's website. You can also email one of the agents and ask for their inside listings which often include rentals that have not been advertised (yet) for one reason or another, but don't get your hopes up. Some of those unadvertised rentals are not good enough to advertise on TradeMe, so beware.

Do be careful where you chose to live and whom you decide to rent from. And no matter how desperate you may be, do not show it, as it will likely be exploited. Most anything close to Wellington (within 30 minutes commute by train) will cost more and will be crowded, overpriced, and usually damp/mouldy. Three weeks' bond, plus one week's letting fee + GST, plus two weeks rent in advance is typical. You may be able to negotiate a delayed payment on part of it, but generally, agents won't waste their time if you can't afford the place - especially as a new arrival.