Info about americans sponsoring others

Hi,
I am an American. I often get asked about how others can come here etc.
As an American not working in any area of immigration, I have no idea.
I've known a few students or refugees but what about others that don't fit into those categories?
I'm speaking mostly of people from the middle east or places like Pakistan.
I hear about sponsorship. Is that strictly a business sponsoring someone for work or can you sponsor someone without owning a business?
What does sponsoring someone mean?
Do you have to be well off or have money to sponsor someone?
Can you invite someone without stating you are financially responsible for them? Perhaps they can show they have a significant savings and are able to support themselves?
Do you have to be a relative to sponsor someone?
Any and all info is appreciated.
Thanks guys

If you are their sponsor, then you are financially responsible.  If they get in a car crash, you are responsible for their medical bills, for example.

So will the US accept a sponsor that is Not working?
What happens if the sponsor can't pay a medical bill, or something similar?

I think alot would depend on your relationship with the sponsee, like, is this going to be an employee? Is it a child that you are bringing home?  It is some other family member?  Is it an exchange student (in which case you are not liable for their bills, usually).  Or are you just doing it for kicks?  There's alot of info on the web.

Kicks, I guess :-)

There are at least 2 stickies on the subject.  There should be plenty of information in there.  Just go through the long list of stickies at the top of the USA page.  They only cover 3 or 4 subjects, so it should be easy to find.

I found one but it was about a lottery.
I don't know anything about the process of coming over here nor have I traveled yet to fully understand visas.
The info I read had a lot of "may('s)" in it.
You may be charged. You may have your income combined to qualify for food stamps.
Maybe that's only if they live with you.
I would never lie but I still need a lot more info.
If this isn't a fiance thing, and I'm not offering work, but the person does want to work here, what are the choices?
At one point it says that the sponsor takes complete financial responsibility, and then in another area it says the immigrant must support themselves through known contacts, but how long must they know you?
If you don't know anyone in the US personally, is it even possible to come?
I still have many many questions

Hello dua dua,

Either you just didn't read the first posting to the following topic thread fully or you just didn't understand it. The responsibilities (both financial and legal) and the consequences are clearly explained in great detail in the posting.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316352

dua dua wrote:

Kicks, I guess :-)

Will you get your kicks if you land in prison? Have you even thought about that?

Sponsoring someone for immigration purposes is serious business. It carries automatic financial responsibility for the person you sponsor, that you cannot avoid or deny.

No, the US government will not accept as sponsors someone who is unemployed, since they cannot meet the financial responsibility that sponsorship involves. They will also be looking very closely at any sponsorship for a provable immediate family relationship or at the very minimum a long standing close personal friendship between the sponsor and individual sponsored, lacking that they'd probably just deny a visa in the first place.

It also carries serious criminal and civil consequenses should there be other problems, such as the person sponsored doesn't leave the country when they should. Criminal consequences arise from any false or misleading statments made by the sponsor, or for omission of any important information. This is characterized as the crime of immigration fraud. Also sponsors cannot request payment or compensation of any kind from the individual they sponsor, this also is a criminal offense.

I'd suggest you look for your kicks elsewhere, where it will be much safer.

@wj's 1st response:
I did read the post. That is why I made comments/had specific questions about it. I apologize if my intelligence is not up to par. I'm barely familiar with the term sponsorship and this is my first effort to learn about it. I don't have foreign family members or fiances, so I am completely unfamiliar with all aspects. I don't even watch the news to know about the drama involving immigration.
@wj's 2nd response:
While I appreciate the information and answer to some of my questions, I don't appreciate the tone in which you responded.
I'm seeking information. Warnings are great but your tone implies that I'm this awful person for considering helping someone. I'm kind hearted and enjoy being helpful, as I would hope others would help me should I ever need it.
I thought that might be a common characteristic of the members here-helping each other through our knowledge, experiences, and resources.
It may very well be that after I learn the facts, I will understand that this isn't a wise or legal move, but I need the info first, and it would be nice if it was explained in a gentle way as if to a child learning for the first time.
I mentioned "kicks" because out of the reasons given to me by the previous member, it was the only one that was a possibility. I thought by saying, "I guess" with a smilely face, it would be understood that this wasn't the real reason.
I don't know about visas and the forms mentioned might as well have been a foreign language as I don't know the difference between them.
But knowing that the person has to be a close friend or family member helps.
And no I didn't consider prison because I gave no intention of lying. I simply wanted to see if I could help someone considering our situation.
Thanks to all who responded.

You know, I'm just remembering a conversation from a couple of years ago where a woman wanted to bring her mom over. She works part time only and has since quit her job. She also receives food stamps and social security for a son, and has section 8 or HUD housing. You name it she has it!
She told me the man that runs the halal meat store, who is not the same nationality as her or anyone in her family, put up the finances to sponsor her mom, even though he didn't know her and only knew my friend as a customer.
So it must be possible?

Just pointing out the very real and serious consequences, and nothing else.

If you don't know anything about visas and sponsorship then stay as far away from sponsoring anyone as you possibly can. You don't want to know all the scary things that can happen. The folks at USCIS and ICE are unforgiving. If somebody approaches you about sponsorship your best option is to turn and run.

Oh and since you were the one who said "Kicks, I guess" I took it that you were giving an honest reply to the question since it's not really something to joke about.

Understood. Thanks again for the info

The simplest answer is that no American should ever sponsor anyone they don't know very well.

And even if you do know them well be careful.

If you don't know them well enough to know whether or not you should do it, don't do it.

dua dua wrote:

Hi,
I am an American. I often get asked about how others can come here etc.
As an American not working in any area of immigration, I have no idea.
I've known a few students or refugees but what about others that don't fit into those categories?
I'm speaking mostly of people from the middle east or places like Pakistan.
I hear about sponsorship. Is that strictly a business sponsoring someone for work or can you sponsor someone without owning a business?
What does sponsoring someone mean?
Do you have to be well off or have money to sponsor someone?
Can you invite someone without stating you are financially responsible for them? Perhaps they can show they have a significant savings and are able to support themselves?
Do you have to be a relative to sponsor someone?
Any and all info is appreciated.
Thanks guys

Please see this thread:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316352

Hey Dua Dua,

I am a foreigner who had to fight to get the right to stay. I had the chance to meet wonderful human beings who really helped me in the INS process.
It is sure a hassle to get through.... Though, as many wrote earlier it is a real decision to take for different reasons:
a) all immigrants are different. That means you MUST understand their motivation and perfectly know their background before doing anything. Immigration should be consider for the right reasons.
b) not everyone is ready to live in the States ( or any given foreign country). The person you're planning to sponsor must have a perfect understanding of the culture, the environment and economic reallity. To make it short, she or he should have come for a long time before deciding.
c) make sure of the "intensity" of the relationship both sides.... You could get very disappointed down the road....that's why the Security is regarding that close, for the Country and for You....
d) the person should be already speaking a correct English or willing to take free or not (depending on states) english classes for foreigners! No language, no integration....
d) the best way and cheapest way and therefore the only correct manner to know is to go to the closest INS bureau, wait in one of the endless lanes, take a ticket, wait and ask them! 

Just remember, the "helpee" should deserve your trust and prove it to you, should be willing to work and prove it to you, and most of all should prove respect to the US for welcoming her/he and show you respect as well as to everybody who lives in the States.

Living is the States is a Chance, not a due.